PDA

View Full Version : Gary Johnson On RedEye: favors government mandating information

11-17-2011, 02:28 AM
Gary Johnson just defended ardently the idea that government should mandate information, like nutrition labels, "so people can make better choices." Yikes.

bluesc
11-17-2011, 02:31 AM
He is no libertarian.

eduardo89
11-17-2011, 02:32 AM
I honestly think Johnson is as much of a troll-candidate as Cain.

klamath
11-17-2011, 08:26 AM
I honestly think Johnson is as much of a troll-candidate as Cain. wondering that to.

trey4sports
11-17-2011, 08:30 AM
oh boohoo.

He's stood up against a plethora of big gov. bullshit and you're going to badmouth him over some issue that has no importance today?

Howabout his stance against the drug war, Afghanistan and Iraq, or the fact that he vetoed more bills than all the other governors combined? Hmm, guess that doesn't matter since he believes in nutrition labels. C'mon give me a break.

11-17-2011, 08:32 AM
oh boohoo.

He's stood up against a plethora of big gov. bullshit and you're going to badmouth him over some issue that has no importance today?

Howabout his stance against the drug war, Afghanistan and Iraq, or the fact that he vetoed more bills than all the other governors combined? Hmm, guess that doesn't matter since he believes in nutrition labels. C'mon give me a break.

I like Johnson a lot! He just seems to lack the consistency of principle to tie all his issues together.

GaryJohnson2016
11-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Nutrition labels are important and Ron Paul is wrong if he thinks they shouldn't be requried.

trey4sports
11-17-2011, 08:38 AM
I like Johnson a lot! He just seems to lack the consistency of principle to tie all his issues together.

He is a different type of libertarian. I wouldn't say that he lacks consistency. Ron is more of a Rothbardian libertarian whereas Gary is not. Hell, we could say Ron lacks the consistency to be a libertarian because he is pro-life.

Nutrition labels are important and Ron Paul is wrong if he thinks they shouldn't be requried.

There is a LOT of Gary Johnson hatin' on the forum. Best thing to do is present the facts and move on.

rp08orbust
11-17-2011, 08:38 AM

If I wish to buy a bottle with no label, who are you to stop me? "Nutrition labels are important" is as irrelevant to the debate as "drugs are bad, mkay" is to that debate.

klamath
11-17-2011, 09:02 AM
He is a different type of libertarian. I wouldn't say that he lacks consistency. Ron is more of a Rothbardian libertarian whereas Gary is not. Hell, we could say Ron lacks the consistency to be a libertarian because he is pro-life.

There is a LOT of Gary Johnson hatin' on the forum. Best thing to do is present the facts and move on.
Yep there is, just like all the Cain, Perry, Bachmann, Romney, Gingrich, etc. Hatin'. Just present the facts and move on:rolleyes:

jkr
11-17-2011, 09:05 AM
i like to know what im eating...

Echoes
11-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Gary's officially on my troll list, what a joke he's become.

low preference guy
11-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Nutrition labels are important

Sure, but like a lot of important things, they shouldn't be mandated by the government.

specsaregood
11-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Sounds like you just listed an incentive for the manufacturer to put the label on voluntarily, no big bully required.

MRoCkEd
11-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Gary is a consequentialist libertarian. He doesn't approach issues with the viewpoint that "force is wrong" but that "force usually leads to bad results."

low preference guy
11-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Gary is a consequentialist libertarian. He doesn't approach issues with the viewpoint that "force is wrong" but that "force usually leads to bad results."

He sounds more like a big government libertarian.

low preference guy
11-17-2011, 10:57 AM

How about eating? Would you like to eat? Does that mean that the government should take over production of food?

erowe1
11-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Required by whom?

erowe1
11-17-2011, 10:58 AM

So then only buy things with nutrition labels. Just don't pretend you have the right to make me do the same.

klamath
11-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Pot growers should be required to put a warning label on their products stating "when consumed this product will turn you into a piece of basalt".

specsaregood
11-17-2011, 11:18 AM
He sounds more like a big government libertarian.

Comes off as more of a fascist to me; but lets not quibble.