PDA

View Full Version : If excluded from Iowa... so what?

fourameuphoria
11-06-2007, 05:11 PM
I guess this is more of a devil's advocate post than anything, but let's keep perspective:

I really don't think it will be significant if he's excluded from the debate.The recent debate appearances have helped the campaigns in increments, but nothing better or worse. The Huckabee-Paul thing was supposed to shoot us to top-tier, but nothing came out of it. It's the fundraising that's seemed to help us the most. Plus, the MSNBC/Fox Debates are jokes. They'll continue to give serious questions to Frudy McRomney and give Ron Paul the stupid questions. Plus, at least in this timeframe, the CNN/YouTube debate will be a far bigger event. Beyond that, the last CNN Debate was probably the fairest debate he had. He got to answer many questions outside of the "Why are you against the war" realm. He'll likely have a good appearance on CNN, the View, and the Boston Tea Party moneybomb in that three week timeframe, so there will still be plenty of good press for us.

What I'm saying is, if we get into the debate, great. If we don't, it's not worth making us look like jackasses. Ron Paul will have 10 Million+ by then, and just the angle of excluding him from the debates alone will give Paul more publicity, and FOX less credibility. However, if we make some sort of human shield infront of the auditorium or something, it will give us a shitload of negative publicity.

So, by all means, let's go balls to the walls to get him at 5% in Iowa. But if it doesn't happen, this won't be the end of the world, and we can reap a lot of gold from this without creating a firestorm.

Ivanelterrible
11-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Well, at the very least its a bunch of free prime time TV coverage.

me3
11-06-2007, 05:13 PM
I agree, and frankly, a $1 million money bomb so he can buy national airtime during the debate would probably go a lot farther than civil disobedience, or Ron getting 6~8 minutes on the stage.

The big concern for me is, how do we maintain our streak of fox text poll wins if he is excluded? ;) :D

dircha
11-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Right. It's a free 10 minutes of publicity that will be seen by 1-3 million people.

Plus, not being up there, it's easy for other candidates' supporters to ignore you or count you out.

RP4ME
11-06-2007, 05:20 PM
i think that is a brilliant idea - he can sponsor that debate and get in his talking points something he cant do very well anyway at Fox debates.....

thehittgirl
11-06-2007, 05:24 PM
People around here generally don't watch the debates. I've only talked to one or two people who have. Most are politically asleep here. But that doesn't speak for the rest of the country. I think the idea of buying airtime is brilliant.

me3
11-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Seriously, he gets maybe 6~8 minutes in a Fox debate, where they try to make him look like a fool and treat him like a leper.

I would much rather he do what John Edwards did to Bush's nationwide address, and run a two minute intro, and a two minute outro to the debate.

It can't cost more than $500k for 2 minutes nationally for a debate.

If anyone knows what John Edwards paid, please let me know.

I know MoveOn paid $65K for the Betray Us ad in the NY Times, and they charged Rudy the same amount for his rebuttal. That was a full page in the "A" section.

Dr. Paul might need to get aggressive with that money. He can make a lot happen by getting himself out there.

Duckman
11-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Yeah. I 100% agree with fourameuphoria. Let's get 5% (I see it happening!) and then see if Fox will shut us out with 5+% in current polls (maybe not these "averaged" polls) and 10M in Q4 fundraising. If they do, they will look OUT OF TOUCH.

However, we stand the risk of looking insane if we try to stop the debate with guerilla tactics. There may be a time and a place for such tactics, but to do that because we don't get invited to a debate will be rediculous IMO.

freelance
11-06-2007, 05:42 PM
However, we stand the risk of looking insane if we try to stop the debate with guerilla tactics. There may be a time and a place for such tactics, but to do that because we don't get invited to a debate will be rediculous IMO.

QFT! If he's not there, an ad buy would be perfect!

Blowback
11-06-2007, 05:43 PM
A commercial during the debate would be KEY..

Find out about the true Republican and conservative the other candidates can't stand toe-to-toe against.

TruckinMike
11-06-2007, 07:26 PM
a $1 million money bomb so he can buy national airtime during the debate would probably go a lot farther than civil disobedience, or Ron getting 6~8 minutes on the stage.

Absolutely!

TM