PDA

View Full Version : Herman Cain Is this true? Give China Taiwan in exchange for debt forgiveness?

Tod
11-17-2011, 01:40 AM
I just heard someone on Coast to Coast make that claim.

The speaker is practically doing everything BUT telling everyone to vote for RP. Great show tonight!!!!!!

Edit.....no, that was Paul KANE. Not Cain. Radio.

NY-Dano
11-17-2011, 02:01 AM
Dosen't appear to be true.

Cain had a Taiwan gaffe a while back: http://thinkprogress.org/security/2011/07/12/266582/cain-foreign-policy-gaffe-we-recognize-taiwan/

...but, I think they might be referring to an NYT Op-ed from a week ago by Paul V. Kane: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/11/opinion/to-save-our-economy-ditch-taiwan.html?_r=3

RonPaulFanInGA
11-17-2011, 07:49 AM
If China invades Taiwan, no one here would support intervention anyway. Why not at least get something (debt forgiveness) out of the deal?

lucent
11-17-2011, 09:03 AM
If China invades Taiwan, no one here would support intervention anyway. Why not at least get something (debt forgiveness) out of the deal?

Because it would be sleazy.

Revolution9
11-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Then we can take the money we don't owe China, buy Mexico, fix it up and flip it and we won't need to worry about the southern border either.

Rev9

Icymudpuppy
11-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Taiwan is not ours to give.

eduardo89
11-17-2011, 11:09 AM

Technically (by laws passed by congress) the US must intervene to protect Taiwan. Not going to happen if china were to invade, but the US would be legally obliged.

yinzer38
11-17-2011, 11:16 AM

THIS.

We as those who have studied America's own history should know that sovereignty and self determination are precious things won and preserved by the sacrifice of previous generations.

Sullivan*
11-17-2011, 11:20 AM
THIS.

We as those who have studied America's own history should know that sovereignty and self determination are precious things won and preserved by the sacrifice of previous generations.

The only argument one needs

RonPaulFanInGA
11-17-2011, 11:23 AM

Right, but nor is it ours to protect and defend.

sailingaway
11-17-2011, 11:26 AM
we can't give what we don't own

Congress should take note of that principle....

Elwar
11-17-2011, 11:41 AM
The US only owes China Federal Reserve Notes...

Give unto China what is the Federal Reserve's....

helmuth_hubener
11-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Then we can take the money we don't owe China, buy Mexico, fix it up and flip it and we won't need to worry about the southern border either.

Rev9Good plan! But can we do it with No Down Payment?

RonPaulFanInGA
11-17-2011, 12:01 PM
we can't give what we don't own

Don't think it's about "giving away what we don't own", but rather promising China that this country won't intervene if they invade Taiwan in exchange for something.

Xenophage
11-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Don't think it's about "giving away what we don't own", but rather promising China that this country won't intervene if they invade Taiwan in exchange for something.

Are you insane? I thought we were against preemptive, undeclared wars here. Not rationally fought wars of defense against imperial communist aggressors! The invasion of Taiwan would be a sad, sad day for the world. If Taiwan was attacked I'd expect any American president to immediately ask congress for a declaration of war against China.

There wouldn't be anything worth getting from China for the invasion of Taiwan.

RonPaulFanInGA
11-17-2011, 12:39 PM
If Taiwan was attacked I'd expect any American president to immediately ask congress for a declaration of war against China.

America should not "sell out" Taiwan, but I sure as hell wouldn't support spending U.S. blood and treasure defending Taiwan. This country is not the world's police force.

There would probably have to be a draft too, against an opponent like China; Americans aren't going to go for that.

Todd
11-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Sounds like an Onion story.

Xenophage
11-17-2011, 09:40 PM
America should not "sell out" Taiwan, but I sure as hell wouldn't support spending U.S. blood and treasure defending Taiwan. This country is not the world's police force.

There would probably have to be a draft too, against an opponent like China; Americans aren't going to go for that.

I spoke rashly. I like the Taiwanese, don't like the Chinese, but I am not willing to travel there and take a bullet for them. If I'm not willing to go die in a war personally I can't advocate it. Shameful of me to even suggest it.

This country has a moral obligation to defend American lives and property, and no such moral obligation to defend Taiwan. Of all the inane wars that we fight, however, aiding a Taiwanese defense against China would be something I could get behind at least financially. Again, however, I could not get behind taxing the people and forcing them to send their money to Taiwan.

We need to get our house in order first. Maybe then voluntary citizen groups could decide to send money and support to foreigners that are being victimized.