PDA

View Full Version : Why is Romney Popular in NH?

AGRP
11-16-2011, 04:47 PM
I thought liberty activists saturated the state? How is the message of liberty not getting to the Romney drones?

James Madison
11-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Displaced Bostonians would be my guess.

Plus, he has nice hair.

harikaried
11-16-2011, 04:50 PM
People are familiar with Romney's name. People are risk-adverse and are more comfortable with a name they recognize. Through the Phone-From-Home system, I've heard people have say they strongly support Romney but could not name anything relating to his policy.

flightlesskiwi
11-16-2011, 04:51 PM
it is a really odd thing.

guess we really do need to jump on board the free state project.

TCE
11-16-2011, 04:52 PM
I thought liberty activists saturated the state? How is the message of liberty not getting to the Romney drones?

What gave you that idea? There are less than 1000 FSP'ers in the state http://freestateproject.org/ and Romney's home state is right there, giving him a huge advantage.

flightlesskiwi
11-16-2011, 04:57 PM
if i was any good at taking youtube videos and editing them, i'd take this BLR video of romney and whittle down from 1:26 to 1:29 to make a clip and post it whenever someone mentions Romney. but i'm not any good at stuff like that.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BadLipReading#p/c/48076365A788CC3F/2/e9L9A1IMTQo

Working Poor
11-16-2011, 05:31 PM
because the media said so that's why...

pcosmar
11-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Why is Romney Popular in NH?

Mass. Hysteria?

RDM
11-16-2011, 06:08 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

He throws a lot of it around. {cough}buys votes{cough}

Seriously! Here's your answer: http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/magazine/96112/unremitting-mitt-romney-new-hampshire-gop-primaries?passthru=NmQwMjRmMDIzODcyNmU5NzI3Yzg0MjZ lM2U4NDEzMmM

iamse7en
11-16-2011, 06:18 PM
He has a house in Wolfeboro. He spends much of his summers there. He campaigned a ton there in '08, and they've known his name for years since being their neighbor governor.

donnay
11-16-2011, 06:29 PM
He has a house in Wolfeboro. He spends much of his summers there. He campaigned a ton there in '08, and they've known his name for years since being their neighbor governor.

You know what is funny...I went down to Manchester the other day and the main strip has bunches of Romney signs, a few Perry and a few Paul. I was up in Wolfeboro, and not many Romney signs except for one big one in their downtown area. We did a sign wave in Wolfeboro and got more honks and thumbs up then you could imagine.

Remember Romney's residence is now in San Diego--he didn't win the recent straw poll there. I am not sold on thinking Romney has taken the state of New Hampshire.

Anti Federalist
11-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Remember Romney's residence is now in San Diego--he didn't win the recent straw poll there. I am not sold on thinking Romney has taken the state of New Hampshire.

No matter what happens in 2012, I hope he fucking stays there. :mad:

cindy25
11-16-2011, 06:38 PM
he is perceived to be reasonable on social issues; there are few religious born agains in NH and until now Romney was the only secular candidate considered viable.

if Ron wins IA he will win NH

Keith and stuff
11-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks for asking this question. I get asked this question a lot for some reason I cannot understand.

This story covers a great deal of the reasons, http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-16/romney-holds-commanding-lead-in-new-hampshire.html

Most of the other reasons are covered here,
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?326659-Unremitting-How-Romney-wore-down-New-Hampshire

There are other reasons. For example, he has received ALL of the top level endorsements in NH that I know of unless you consider John Stephens joining the Perry campaign top level. Romney was also endorsed by 2 candidates that dropped out and the popular gov. of NJ. Romney also has the most signs in NH. Around 25% of the people in NH are from MA. Most of those folks are Republicans or lean GOP. Many of them voted for Romney when he was governor of MA. Romney has by far the most money and is spending a lot of it in NH.

Romney and Paul are the 2 most popular candidates with undeclared voters in NH. They take similar positions on many issues. For example, they have the closest taxes policies of any candidates among the top 10 in NH. They both call for very similar personal income tax rates and big cuts to the corporate tax rate. While it is true that Johnson calls for the largest spending cuts and the largest reductions in government work force, outside of Johnson, both Paul and Romney arguably call for the largest reductions. Paul wants to cutting spending by 1 trillion. Romney wants to cut it by 500 billion. Paul wants to cut 5 departments. Romney wants to cut the federal workforce by 10% They both want to end ObamaCare.

To sum it up, Romney almost won in NH in 2008. Romney has been visiting, campaigning in, and donating money to NH since he lost the nomination in 2008. Since he has been campaign for the GOP nomination for 5 years straight in NH, many people think it is his time to win.

You can argue that Romney is lying about all of this if you want. I am not going to disagree. Maybe he is lying. However, this is what he is telling voters in NH and he is reaching a great deal of the voters in NH.

Anti Federalist
11-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Why is Romney Popular in NH?

Mass. Hysteria?

LoL

GeorgiaAvenger
11-16-2011, 08:23 PM
LoLYou need a chipin for your ad. Its great and powerful.

acptulsa
11-16-2011, 08:24 PM
People are familiar with Romney's name.

They're familiar with the term 'Massholes', too...

Aratus
11-16-2011, 10:20 PM
please... do spell it mass-wholes

mitt was our governor. he was

on our airwaves quite often.

jon huntsman's dad bought a

half million's worth of tv ads.

expect mitt's monolyth to erode.

dr. ron paul could win N.H or be a

tight second. mitt can bore people.

jon huntsman has yet to look stupid.

RonPaulMall
11-17-2011, 12:35 AM

You are mistaken. A liberty presence for sure, but in many respects still a typically Northeastern State and most Republicans there are of the statist variety. The idea that New Hampshire is some kind of pro-liberty mecca has always been something of a myth. Even back in 1964 they went with Henry Cabot Lodge (as a write in, no less) over Barry Goldwater. Second place in New Hampshire would be a huge victory.

Keith and stuff
11-17-2011, 01:55 AM
You are mistaken. A liberty presence for sure, but in many respects still a typically Northeastern State and most Republicans there are of the statist variety. The idea that New Hampshire is some kind of pro-liberty mecca has always been something of a myth. Even back in 1964 they went with Henry Cabot Lodge (as a write in, no less) over Barry Goldwater. Second place in New Hampshire would be a huge victory.

RonPaulMall is correct. Even the average GOP voter isn't pro-liberty in NH. It's just like everywhere else in that most voters are against liberty.

Sure, NH might be the complete opposite of NY. It might be the freest state and getting free at a faster rate than anywhere else (most of the other states are getting worse.) However, that doesn't make NH a paradise. Being the most libertarian state doesn't mean it's actually a libertarian state. NH is to the US what Switzerland is to Europe. Neither place is at all free compared to actual liberty; but compared to where they are located, they appear to shine as beacons of liberty.

Hopefully, with the help of Free State Project folks moving to NH, we can really help to uplift the people of NH. Things are already improving, but even in NH, true liberty is a long distance away.

DamianTV
11-17-2011, 04:08 AM

In Nevada, he gets a lot of Mormon support from our "friendly neighbors". Just out of curiousity, are there a lot of Religious people in NH, specifically Mormons? Im just askin cuz I dont have any idea if there are or there arent. Could also base a lot of that opinion on how hard the MSM pumps him up there...

John F Kennedy III
11-17-2011, 05:11 AM

This :)

HOLLYWOOD
11-17-2011, 05:15 AM
New Hampshire Zombies watching Libtard Programming TV/Radio out of Boston.

DamianTV
11-17-2011, 05:42 AM
Im not Libtarded! I know who my parents are!

whippoorwill
11-17-2011, 07:10 AM
The Mass-holes have been taking over.

TheDunk
11-17-2011, 08:09 AM

If it wasn't so darn cold, I'd be on board as I'm looking to relocate in the next few years. Will be going south to a more liberty minded state or possibly west if that doesn't pan out. The only nice thing about NJ is so long as I don't move to California, any of the 48 other states will be an improvement is lower taxes and more freedom.

Predictably enough, many neocons here, self proclaimed "conservatives", support Romney.

Travlyr
11-17-2011, 08:22 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

He throws a lot of it around. {cough}buys votes{cough}

Seriously! Here's your answer: http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/magazine/96112/unremitting-mitt-romney-new-hampshire-gop-primaries?passthru=NmQwMjRmMDIzODcyNmU5NzI3Yzg0MjZ lM2U4NDEzMmM

LOL... wow. Bought for $1000. New Hampshire politicians are cheap sluts,

In September 2010, Mitt Romney invited all of the Republican candidates for the New Hampshire Senate to lunch in a conference room in Concord. He thanked them for running for office, then gave each of them a $1,000 check made out to their campaigns. “He did it in a very personal manner. It wasn’t an impersonal, get-the-check-in-the-mail type of thing,” recalls Jim Rausch, one of the candidates. “I appreciated it.”

Romney couldn't buy my vote for $10,000. No One But Paul!

Elwar
11-17-2011, 08:23 AM
People from Mass get tired of the crappy state and move to NH.

They continue to vote the same way they did in Mass and start to wonder why the crappy stuff they had in Mass is starting to happen in NH too.

Seraphim
11-17-2011, 08:24 AM
This.

Sort of like Cuban Commies coming to Canada so they can build a more free life and then voting for the same commie BS they just left.

Retards will be retards.

They continue to vote the same way they did in Mass and start to wonder why the crappy stuff they had in Mass is starting to happen in NH too.

Keith and stuff
11-17-2011, 12:27 PM
In Nevada, he gets a lot of Mormon support from our "friendly neighbors". Just out of curiousity, are there a lot of Religious people in NH, specifically Mormons? Im just askin cuz I dont have any idea if there are or there arent. Could also base a lot of that opinion on how hard the MSM pumps him up there...

NH and VT are considered the least religious states. Don't get me wrong, the majority of people in both of the states are certainly Christian, just compared to other states, there are less religious folks.

Keith and stuff
11-17-2011, 12:31 PM

57% of the folks that live in NH aren't from NH. The most pro-liberty of the folks that live in NH tend to be natives still living in NH and people that have moved to NH in the last 10 years (especially from MA.) While it is true that these movers tend to be highly educated and moderate leaning conservatives or conservative leaning moderates, they don't tend to be big government supporters.

You can learn this by looking at the studies or the research. However, my favorite way to learn it is by going around and meeting folks. These voters, as a whole, are helping increase liberty in NH. They partly explain why NH is the freest state and why things are improving recently in NH so much faster than everywhere else (things are still getting worse in most states.)

DamianTV
11-17-2011, 12:47 PM

Same thing happens with California and Nevada. These assholes in the Sunshine State need to get it through their thick heads that Nevada is NOT Little California.

Athan
11-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Phone bank people should just tell them:
"Why not just take the money from Mittens.
Then vote and caucus for Paul!"

Step back. Then watch fun ensue!

Keith and stuff
11-19-2011, 03:42 AM
http://www.salon.com/2011/10/28/just_like_dukakis_romney_is_taking_the_fun_out_of_ new_hampshire/

Familiarity partly explains Romney’s wide support, but the more libertarian nature of New Hampshire conservatism also plays a role. Religious conservatives make up a far smaller share of the state’s GOP electorate (23) than in any other early GOP primary/caucus test, including Iowa (60 percent), South Carolina (60 percent) and Florida (39 percent). This is why overtly religious conservatives like Mike Huckabee and Pat Robertson have struggled in previous New Hampshire primaries, and it’s probably one of the (many) reasons that Rick Perry, Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum haven’t found any sustainable traction in the state.

Paul could fare decently in New Hampshire, given its libertarian streak (and the Free State Project thing), but there seems to be a clear ceiling on his support.

The biggest news today, the filing deadline for the primary, is that Gary Johnson, the no-shot former New Mexico governor, forgot to file his paperwork and had to make a desperate, last-second cross-country flight to appear in person at the State House and get his name on the ballot.

One prominent New Hampshire Republican told the Washington Post that “no candidate in New Hampshire is untouchable in a state that has rarely, if ever, rewarded the frontrunner candidate with a victory.”

There’s some truth to this, and it is conceivable that the New Hampshire race will tighten if Romney is seen as suffering an embarrassing setback in Iowa, which will hold its causes a week before the Granite State votes.

(Dukakis was particularly well-liked by New Hampshire Democrats because their state was dominated by Republicans back then, making their next-door-neighbor governor — whom many were familiar with thanks to all of the Boston television stations that reach southern New Hampshire — the closest thing they had to a favorite son.)

purplechoe
11-19-2011, 03:58 AM
http://fitsnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mitt-romney-ron-paul.jpg

I never understood what the big deal was about New Hampshire being a "live free or die" state. Texas is a lot closer to that slogan as well as many others. It's probably very similar to Illinois where I reside, the so called conservatives here are so liberal that it's hard to tell them apart...

Becker
11-19-2011, 04:29 AM
because NH is full of ancaps who don't vote

cindy25
11-19-2011, 06:09 AM
http://fitsnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mitt-romney-ron-paul.jpg

I never understood what the big deal was about New Hampshire being a "live free or die" state. Texas is a lot closer to that slogan as well as many others. It's probably very similar to Illinois where I reside, the so called conservatives here are so liberal that it's hard to tell them apart...

NH is the most free state (no death penalty, no sales tax, no seat belt law) Texas is much more of a low tax fascist corporate state.

Aratus
11-22-2011, 03:54 PM
because NH is full of ancaps who don't vote

this is backwater rural and mother earth news retro-tech part of the problem

how do we tell them all there is an election again politely & firmly right now!!!