PDA

View Full Version : Sam Rohrer Announcing Senate Bid

The Dude
11-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Sam Rohrer, former State Rep. and candidate for Governor against Tom Corbett, announced his candidacy for Senate vs Bob Casey. From what I've seen, Rohrer is a pretty solid constitutional conservative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Rohrer

RDM
11-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Sam Rohrer, former State Rep. and candidate for Governor against Tom Corbett, announced his candidacy for Senate vs Bob Casey. From what I've seen, Rohrer is a pretty solid constitutional conservative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Rohrer

He is. I was backing him for governor when he ran. He will definitely get my vote.

11-16-2011, 07:35 PM
I voted for him for governor. When he lost he worked for afp, which is a negative in my book. I'd still vote for him for senate though.

TomL
11-30-2011, 08:07 AM
I don't trust him. His plan to eliminate school property tax was unconstitutional, and I believe he knew so. Yet he continually told his constituents that he would get it done. Well, he didn't get it done, and school property taxes are higher than they have ever been.

CaptUSA
11-30-2011, 08:11 AM
I have reservations about Rohrer as well, but I'll still vote for him. It depends on who runs third party. But I'm open to him.

Jingles
11-30-2011, 08:17 AM
I have reservations about Rohrer as well, but I'll still vote for him. It depends on who runs third party. But I'm open to him.

Same. I just don't feel like I know him enough, but about anyone is better than Bob Casey other than Frothy. Sam Rohrer is like one of the best political figures in PA in a long time (Although that isn't saying much).

TomL
11-30-2011, 08:18 AM

He certainly can't be any worse than what we got. And, we sure need Republicans in the Senate. So, I suppose if it comes down to Casey and Rohrer, I would vote for him too. But I would rather vote for someone who cares about the Constitution.

11-30-2011, 08:38 AM
I don't trust him. His plan to eliminate school property tax was unconstitutional, and I believe he knew so. Yet he continually told his constituents that he would get it done. Well, he didn't get it done, and school property taxes are higher than they have ever been.

I haven't heard about that. How was eliminating a tax unconstitutional?

TomL
11-30-2011, 04:50 PM
I haven't heard about that. How was eliminating a tax unconstitutional?

Have you ever read the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania?

Article VIII, Section 5 states, "All laws exempting property from taxation, other than the property above enumerated, shall be void."

How can you eliminate school property tax without exempting property from taxation? But then, it would be exempt from all property tax not just school property tax. There is no constitutional scheme in Pennsylvania by which you can exempt property from school property tax only. For example, if the General Assembly were to create a class of people to be exempt from property tax, let's say, because of age. Those people would be exempt from paying all property tax in Pennsylvania, not just school property tax.

We could amend the Constitution to bifurcate school property tax from municipal property tax, then you can do that. But you still can't eliminate school property tax. Even if you did amend the Constitution in such a way, and do create a class of people that would be exempt from paying school property tax, then pursuant to Article VIII, section 2b, subsection ii, the General Assembly would have to provide for the reimbursement of the local taxing authority for loss revenue. So if we are eventually able to eliminate school property taxes, the State would have to pick up the tab. So, Pennsylvania taxpayers will still have to pay taxes to support the public school system.

If Sam Rohrer ever read the Pennsylvania Constitution, he should know all this. So his consistent pledge to eliminate school property tax was disingenuous at best. And a continuous lie and deceit at worst.

The question is, what was Sam's motive. I can only think of one. Re-election. And that is politics as usual.

11-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Actually no, I've never read the PA constitution. I thought you were referring to the US constitution.

That's interesting to know, thanks.

Couldn't the PA constitution be amended to repeal that article VIII section 5?

The Dude
12-01-2011, 10:33 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1677646397787&set=o.305392546155520&type=1&theater

Bob Casey is getting a lot of flak for voting for the National Defense Authorization Act, which allows for the military to detain terrorism suspects on U.S. soil and hold them indefinitely without trial, even if they're U.S. citizens. Would you stand with Rand Paul in strongly opposing that part of the bill?
Like · · 12 hours ago ·

Rohrer for Senate Would stand by Rand Paul, by the people and by the Constitution. Absolutely. Thanks for the great question Tom!

TomL
12-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Actually no, I've never read the PA constitution. I thought you were referring to the US constitution.

That's interesting to know, thanks.

Couldn't the PA constitution be amended to repeal that article VIII section 5?

I suppose it could. We do amend the Constitution by referendum.

TomL
12-02-2011, 11:42 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1677646397787&set=o.305392546155520&type=1&theater

Bob Casey is getting a lot of flak for voting for the National Defense Authorization Act, which allows for the military to detain terrorism suspects on U.S. soil and hold them indefinitely without trial, even if they're U.S. citizens. Would you stand with Rand Paul in strongly opposing that part of the bill?
Like · · 12 hours ago ·

Rohrer for Senate Would stand by Rand Paul, by the people and by the Constitution. Absolutely. Thanks for the great question Tom!

If you are asking me, I certainly do not agree with holding people indefinitely without a trial if they are U.S. citizens. So I am with Rand Paul on that. However, Rand Paul support Posse Comitatus. I am not sure that act is Constitutional. Article I, Section 8, Paragraph 15 states, "To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions." So I'm not sure about that.

playboymommy
12-03-2011, 01:43 AM
Same. I just don't feel like I know him enough, but about anyone is better than Bob Casey other than Frothy. Sam Rohrer is like one of the best political figures in PA in a long time (Although that isn't saying much).

He certainly can't be any worse than what we got. And, we sure need Republicans in the Senate. So, I suppose if it comes down to Casey and Rohrer, I would vote for him too. But I would rather vote for someone who cares about the Constitution.

I want to know if he will participate in the Congressional pension plan. That needs to end immediately!

I want Casey out of office and Pat Toomey as well. Traitors. I called their offices today. Toomey's office did not answer the phone in the burgh or in DC. Casey's office told me that everything is blown out of proportion, we don't lose our 1st amendment, habeus corpus, etc. She said it just allows for more structured rules in the war on terror. I asked her how can they pass a bill on an war that has never been declared?

Casey can suck it.

Bman
12-03-2011, 02:51 AM
I don't know enough about Rohrer, but he has to be better than Welsh who is also running for the Republican nomination in PA.

TomL
12-06-2011, 02:53 AM
I don't know enough about Rohrer, but he has to be better than Welsh who is also running for the Republican nomination in PA.

Who is Welsh?

Shane Harris
12-06-2011, 02:56 AM
i will vote for him. def over casey

Bman
12-06-2011, 02:59 AM
Who is Welsh?

Former Democrat turned Republican. He certainly has a bit of money, his own money. He was going to run for the house in 2010 but dropped when the incumbent decided to re-run for his office. From what I know he's a nice guy but he's very moderate.

McDermit
12-07-2011, 07:02 AM
You should all look into Marc Scaringi, who is also running. http://scaringiforsenate2012.com/

He spoke at our Ron Paul meetup Monday night, and I was impressed. He is a true Ron Paul Republican. I initially had ome reservations, because his website had nothing about foreign policy--we asked, and he delivered! Bring the troops home, get out of the middle east, south korea, germany, japan. (He cited these places specifically.) End ALL foreign aid. Get rid of the Patriot Act. No NDAA. String defense, secure borders, no policing the world, defund NATO, get out of the UN. All of his responses were consistent with with a pro-liberty, small government, constitutional approach.

He handed out brochures with his foreign policy in writing (non-inverventionism, bring home troops, end unconstitutional wars, etc.) He also had copies of an op ed he had published prior to the NDAA vote, standing with Rand and support the Udall ammendment. He has published op eds in support of Ron and Rand.

I'm not familiar with Rohrer--I know some in our meetup have worked for his campaigns and really like him. But this Scaringi guy really seemed like a decent candidate.

The one thing that wasn't addressed is the statement on his site that he believes Marcellus Shale extraction should be incentivized. No one bought it up, and had only briefly looked at his site prior to the meeting, so didn't notice it until I took a closer look.

brandon
12-07-2011, 07:25 AM
I've seen him speak before and he was very hawkish towards the "islamofascists that want to destroy our way of life."

This is definitely not a guy I would support for a federal position. I only reluctantly supported him for governor.

TomL
12-12-2011, 01:42 AM
I've seen him speak before and he was very hawkish towards the "islamofascists that want to destroy our way of life."

This is definitely not a guy I would support for a federal position. I only reluctantly supported him for governor.

I assume you are speaking of Sam Rohrer.

Shane Harris
12-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Rohrer said he would've stood with Rand Paul in voting against the NDAA, which is good, however Scaringi sounds more pure. I would vote for Rohrer but I trust Scaringi more and he will be my first choice.

Pennsylvania
12-20-2011, 04:03 PM
This is definitely not a guy I would support for a federal position.

Could not agree more.

Scaringi sounds like the real deal:

from here (http://scaringiforsenate2012.wordpress.com/2011/09/08/the-free-america-agenda/):

Free America from the harmful policies of the Federal Reserve by stopping it from manipulating interest rates and printing money out of thin air. And, we must return to sound money. This will restore freedom to our “free” enterprise system, foster economic growth and job creation and stop the scourge of inflation.

Free America from this self-imposed duty to “Police the World.” We must have the most powerful military on Earth, but we should use it only to protect the vital national interests of the America people. We must stop nation building and return to a foreign policy based upon the principle that we are a Republic, not an Empire.

TomL
12-27-2011, 09:30 AM
The problem I have with Scaringi is that he was a Santorum staffer. After seeing the Senatorial debate on PCN, I am putting my support behind Welch.

EdQ
12-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Marc Scaringi is a true Ron Paul Republican. I was going to vote for Rohrer but now that Scaringi is running and has come out against the wars and the war on drugs, I am voting for Scaringi. I recommend all PA Ron Paul supporters check him out: http://scaringiforsenate2012.com

12-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Marc Scaringi is a true Ron Paul Republican. I was going to vote for Rohrer but now that Scaringi is running and has come out against the wars and the war on drugs, I am voting for Scaringi. I recommend all PA Ron Paul supporters check him out: http://scaringiforsenate2012.com

That's more or less my thinking so far. I am going to go listen to both first before I decide.

tuggy24g
12-31-2011, 02:40 AM
I am sad to see Pat Toomey is so corrupt. He seemed like the perfect guy when I voted for him and tried to get other to vote for him in my district. Man o man. Marc Scaringi is the guy who got my vote for sure!!

TomL
01-13-2012, 08:20 AM
I am sad to see Pat Toomey is so corrupt. He seemed like the perfect guy when I voted for him and tried to get other to vote for him in my district. Man o man. Marc Scaringi is the guy who got my vote for sure!!

The fact that he supported Arlen Specter 12 years ago should tell you something.

Steve Welch is the only candidate talking about decentralizing the Federal government.

GeorgiaAvenger
01-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Sam Roher or Mark Scaringi?