PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Obama supporter considering switch to Ron Paul on Reddit.

agorist ninja
11-16-2011, 12:33 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/Libertarian/comments/memtw/okay_ron_paul_supporters_heres_your_chance_to_win/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

He/she is waiting to be convinced. Let's bring the awesome and go plus one in the RP category.

Oh, and be nice.

Kade
11-16-2011, 12:35 PM
As a long, long time Redditor, my conversion rate for Ron Paul may even be greater than my conversion rate for Atheism. I'll work on this one.

Ronulus
11-16-2011, 12:36 PM
You might show her this video as well as she supports OWS. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BveNioW3cVI

CaptainAmerica
11-16-2011, 12:40 PM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_5yCeXcumyAo/TaWp_thK4AI/AAAAAAAAA_g/Hp6zoQeNS5M/Yes-We-Can-Torture-Bradley-Manning-meme_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg
what is there to think about? Whether he likes more war or less war?

Philosophy_of_Politics
11-16-2011, 12:49 PM
As a long, long time Redditor, my conversion rate for Ron Paul may even be greater than my conversion rate for Atheism. I'll work on this one.

The former is great, the latter is questionable.

Sunstruck-Eden
11-16-2011, 12:54 PM

Wait...you "convert" people to atheism? How does that even work? (By the way, this isn't a challenge, I just want to know how you do it).

Kade
11-16-2011, 12:55 PM
The former is great, the latter is questionable.

Questioning is never a bad thing, but moderators have made it clear I'm not to start religion threads outside of the normal hidden section of the forum, so you will have to remain content with the knowledge that I am very proud of peeling people off their psychological binky regardless of the manifestation.

bluesc
11-16-2011, 01:02 PM
I made a quick response, but I'm busy, so could have done better. Hopefully you guys clear everything up.

Kade
11-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Wait...you "convert" people to atheism? How does that even work? (By the way, this isn't a challenge, I just want to know how you do it).

Maturity is really about the knowledge of yourself. How well do you know yourself, how well do you know the reasons for your feelings, your interactions, your motivations? Every person has these reasons internally and people want to be in harmony with themselves in understanding them.

I have become very adept at discovering these feelings in people, and I engage in a very personal way, asking questions, gauging opinions, taking a great deal of time and energy to peel away those layers of insecurity to reveal to themselves their own personal understanding. A devoutly religious person is always in limbo. They have not explored the potential of reason, the arguments stacking immensely against their positions, and ultimately the philosophical failures of the value systems they have accepted so strongly. They exist between the manipulators of reason and those that are simply facilitators of rational experience.

Each religious person is different, and each has had that belief fundamentally attached to a very emotional and important concern. For some it is their family, for others, it is the need for closeness, friendship, and even collectives, a throwback to our tribal ancestry. For some it is as simple as a fear; a fear of dying, a misgotten belief that anyone deserves immortality, or even some sort of guilt, desiring forgiveness for unspoken hidden moral 'crimes'. Whatever the functional architecture of the belief, it has a weakness, and with enough time and pressure it can be shaken.

I find the reason, and I push.

Philosophy_of_Politics
11-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Questioning is never a bad thing, but moderators have made it clear I'm not to start religion threads outside of the normal hidden section of the forum, so you will have to remain content with the knowledge that I am very proud of peeling people off their psychological binky regardless of the manifestation.

I can understand your pride in such a thing, teaching people an open-mind and allowing them to think for themselves as an individual is great. I'm hoping you're familiar with Paley's Watchmaker Argument, and the "Fine-Tuning" Argument.

harikaried
11-18-2011, 12:01 AM
EDIT4: Ok, pat yourselves on the back if it suits you. You've done it. At the very least I will vote to nominate him for the GoP candidate. Most likely he'll get my vote in the election as well. He's not the guy I want, but I'm not sure that guy exists. He does, however, appear to be the best option available.

Seems like the main concerns is that he likes some social programs to help take care of people who have nothing else.

bluesc
11-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Seems like the main concerns is that he likes some social programs to help take care of people who have nothing else.

And people, including me, tried to explain that many of them would remain, only difference is they would be funded. Oh well, Ron can't be perfect for everyone :)

XTreat
11-18-2011, 12:47 AM

I loled

XTreat
11-18-2011, 12:50 AM
Maturity is really about the knowledge of yourself. How well do you know yourself, how well do you know the reasons for your feelings, your interactions, your motivations? Every person has these reasons internally and people want to be in harmony with themselves in understanding them.

I have become very adept at discovering these feelings in people, and I engage in a very personal way, asking questions, gauging opinions, taking a great deal of time and energy to peel away those layers of insecurity to reveal to themselves their own personal understanding. A devoutly religious person is always in limbo. They have not explored the potential of reason, the arguments stacking immensely against their positions, and ultimately the philosophical failures of the value systems they have accepted so strongly. They exist between the manipulators of reason and those that are simply facilitators of rational experience.

Each religious person is different, and each has had that belief fundamentally attached to a very emotional and important concern. For some it is their family, for others, it is the need for closeness, friendship, and even collectives, a throwback to our tribal ancestry. For some it is as simple as a fear; a fear of dying, a misgotten belief that anyone deserves immortality, or even some sort of guilt, desiring forgiveness for unspoken hidden moral 'crimes'. Whatever the functional architecture of the belief, it has a weakness, and with enough time and pressure it can be shaken.

I find the reason, and I push.

This sounds like a conversation I had with myself, I was raised in a religious southern baptist family. I actually take pride in the fact that I dug myself out of it with a very similar method to the one you just outlined.

affa
11-18-2011, 12:49 PM
i've almost finished reading through all of the comments. the majority of them are excellent - it's a really great discussion.

and then, every once in awhile, somebody's really rude to the person... almost bashing them. this is not the way to garner support. the posts that come off particularly rude are not necessarily 'incorrect'... just terribly worded, abrasive, and stand-offish.

as the person says very late in the comments:
"Yeah, I figured this would be a good sounding board for anyone else who was undecided. It is certainly eye-opening. I do think I am beginning to like Ron Paul even if I'm starting to dislike some of his supporters."

a good example might be:

Q:"So, with all that in mind, can you convince me that Ron Paul is a guy I should support?"
A: No. You believe that some people have the right to take other people's property. I really can't help you with that.

Compare that answer to the dozens of polite, informative ones that come before it. this is the type of answer that pushes people away. Yes, it's got a massive truth bomb in it. That's great. But easing the attitude down a notch will work wonders in actually swaying people. Fortunately, most responses to this person are awesome! Great job all around.

Sullivan*
11-18-2011, 01:13 PM
i've almost finished reading through all of the comments. the majority of them are excellent - it's a really great discussion.

and then, every once in awhile, somebody's really rude to the person... almost bashing them. this is not the way to garner support. the posts that come off particularly rude are not necessarily 'incorrect'... just terribly worded, abrasive, and stand-offish.

as the person says very late in the comments:
"Yeah, I figured this would be a good sounding board for anyone else who was undecided. It is certainly eye-opening. I do think I am beginning to like Ron Paul even if I'm starting to dislike some of his supporters."

a good example might be:

Q:"So, with all that in mind, can you convince me that Ron Paul is a guy I should support?"
A: No. You believe that some people have the right to take other people's property. I really can't help you with that.

Compare that answer to the dozens of polite, informative ones that come before it. this is the type of answer that pushes people away. Yes, it's got a massive truth bomb in it. That's great. But easing the attitude down a notch will work wonders in actually swaying people. Fortunately, most responses to this person are awesome! Great job all around.

I could care less if it offends somebody's tender sensibility, you need the truth bomb if you're actually going to get anywhere. Politeness goes a long way, but sometimes people need the unabashed truth mixed in with the pleasantries.

BIG_J
11-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Troll?