PDA

View Full Version : RealClearPolitics: Is Surging Ron Paul a Reluctant Candidate?

sailingaway
11-16-2011, 10:55 AM
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2011/11/16/is_surging_ron_paul_a_reluctant_candidate_112090.h tml

*sigh* Ronnnnnnnnn.....

bluesc
11-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Wtf?

Paul was decidedly disinterested when a Washington Post reporter informed him that he would soon be featured in a profile on the paper's front page and asked if they could talk.

When RealClearPolitics asked Paul after a speech Wednesday morning at the Cato Institute if he actually wanted to be president, he shrugged and said, "Sure."

If this is true, Ron is not helping.

IterTemporis
11-16-2011, 11:00 AM
That doesn't sound like him.. He looked happy in the 2 interviews yesterday.

Icymudpuppy
11-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Sounds like George Washington. We need to play this up, along with the speech he gave in 2008 about not wanting to rule.

Kords21
11-16-2011, 11:01 AM
I think it's more of a case of Ron Paul just being his humble self. He's more about promoting his ideas/views than himself. He clearly thinks the message is much more important than he is. I wish he could be a little more enthusastic about it, but his humblenss won't allow it, it's just not who he is. I highly doubt you could pay him to toot his own horn.

Mahkato
11-16-2011, 11:01 AM
He doesn't want to be President. He just knows he has to be President or our troubles will continue. Ron is making an enormous charitable contribution to liberty that he personally will see few benefits of.

Ronulus
11-16-2011, 11:02 AM
He also has several things to do today. Look at his schedule for today and you will see why he probably didn't stick around for long.

sailingaway
After the Rally for the Republic in the last election cycle some reporter went up to him and started a typical reporter type question about why he hadn't 'softened' his beliefs ' If you wanted to be president....!'

He recoiled with a moue of distaste and said 'I was willing to be.....'

He has undertaken the responsibility and you and I know he will live up to it far more fully than the celebrities who run for office. I think it is wonderful. But I agree that the general public won't know how to take it.

bluesc
I know he is reluctant, and I like it. He isn't power hungry, but this..

Paul was decidedly disinterested when a Washington Post reporter informed him that he would soon be featured in a profile on the paper's front page and asked if they could talk.

Wtf? Did he actually answer their questions? That is a very high profile interview.

cajuncocoa
11-16-2011, 11:04 AM
I think it's more of a case of Ron Paul just being his humble self.

But will voters not already on the Ron Paul bandwagon understand that? It's up to us to spread that message to them.

LibertyEsq
11-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Sounds like George Washington. We need to play this up, along with the speech he gave in 2008 about not wanting to rule.

I disagree. If voters wanted another George Washington or Thomas Jefferson, Paul would be at 50% right now. Best to bury this article

Kords21
11-16-2011, 11:08 AM
I think as his poll numbers climb, a little more media exposure in print, tv and the debates and a few early state victories people will vote for him more out of "He's winning and I want to be on the winning side" mentality than looking closer at the man. I wish people would vote more out of principle than the whole tribal mentality, but I'll take what I can get. The thing about Ron Paul and his whole message is that once you "get it" then everything else changes around you, at least it did for me. They not might get it now or have a princepled reason for voting for him when the time comes, but I think a big % will eventually come to some kind of understanding about Ron Paul.

TonySutton
11-16-2011, 11:14 AM
What a stupid question. He has run for president 3 times. Does the reporter think this is simply a hobby?

FreeTraveler
11-16-2011, 11:16 AM
It's a hit piece from the establishment. Don't let it get you down. Move on.

Rothbardian Girl
11-16-2011, 11:16 AM
I don't like Ron's responses, because they could stop his climb within the general populace. If people perceive him as unwilling, the support might be lukewarm. Of course his supporters will know it's his humble attitude shining through, but he really needs to be careful. We can't do anything to screw up the momentum, I don't think.

matt0611
11-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Well, at least it has "surging" in the headline ;)

Kade
11-16-2011, 11:18 AM
He doesn't want to be President. He just knows he has to be President or our troubles will continue. Ron is making an enormous charitable contribution to liberty that he personally will see few benefits of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvhW1Kyxpfw

acptulsa
11-16-2011, 11:18 AM
The point Douglas Adams made somewhere in the Hitchhiker's Guild to the Galaxy series was that the person you want to put in charge is the person who doesn't want to be in charge. The one who wants to be in charge has a personal reason for it. That one has an agenda, and you probably won't like that agenda. The one who doesn't want the job doesn't have an agenda. That person will just do the best job he or she can and get it over with.

I know RCP is trying to do a hit piece here, but as far as I'm concerned this is a selling point. If he doesn't really want to be president, that just means he's less concerned with the perks and more concerned with the responsibility. This makes me want him to be my president. Who cares if he's willing? I'm more than willing!

LawnWake
11-16-2011, 11:21 AM
This is no big deal. One of those articles people read but kinda forget. Wouldn't worry about it.

rp08orbust
11-16-2011, 11:21 AM
In addition to his failure to campaign as though he could truly be president, the skepticism surrounding him is fueled by his status as a three-time candidate, which makes him something of a gadfly in the process.

Romney and Cain have also run for president before--does that make them "gadflies"?

specsaregood
11-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Wtf? Did he actually answer their questions? That is a very high profile interview.

I'd wonder who the reporter is; I can think if a few wapost people I wouldnt care for him to talk to. And when they say "profile" they mean hit piece.

acptulsa
11-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Romney and Cain have also run for president before--does that make them "gadflies"?

Of course not. They've awarded our man the exclusive monopoly on quixotic gasflyism. There can only be one.

I'd wonder who the reporter is; I can think if a few wapost people I wouldnt care for him to talk to. And when they say "profile" they mean hit piece.

I'd say so. The higher on the RCP 'profile' index, the fiercer the Ron Paul attack.

specsaregood
11-16-2011, 11:25 AM

In the 1970's Dr. Paul gave up the one thing that made him happiest (outside his family) in order to go fight for us in D.C. He is just continuing that sacrifice.

bluesc
11-16-2011, 11:26 AM

No matter what way you look at it, it's still better to answer the questions rather than ignore them. What if it's a hit piece? "Ron Paul refused to respond to this.."

specsaregood
11-16-2011, 11:27 AM
No matter what way you look at it, it's still better to answer the questions rather than ignore them. What if it's a hit piece? "Ron Paul refused to respond to this.."

Not so sure about that. Why give them ammo if they are just going to ask questions like, "When did you stop hating blacks and poor people Dr. Paul?"

sailingaway
11-16-2011, 11:28 AM

Ronald Reagan won on his third try......

bluesc
11-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Not so sure about that. Why give them ammo if they are just going to ask questions like, "When did you stop hating blacks and poor people Dr. Paul?"

Highly unlikely that they would ask that. Is the campaign going to continue running away from interviews that might not be friendly? They did the same with Steve Deace. He is a frontrunner now, he needs exposure.

JohnGalt23g
11-16-2011, 11:32 AM
My reply to Erin McPike

I just got done reading your piece for RCP about Ron Paul. Aside from the rather abrupt ending, which I have to chalk up to poor editing, I must take issue with your concern about Dr. Paul’s lack of interest in profiles by Beltway media.

This nomination contest is not being waged in DC or New York. I have to suspect that were Dr. Paul to be offered a profile in the Des Moines Register or the Manchester Union-Leader, he would jump at the chance. Because he knows, as I know, as I suspect you know, the voters of IA and NH just really aren’t that concerned with what a bunch of Washington punditcrats has to say on the matter of who will be the GOP nominee.

Get used to an idea: Ron Paul doesn’t want to be President. He wants to live, and be able to provide his progeny with a land where they can live, free. The best contribution he can make towards that goal is to run for President.

And if there’s a chance that he might actually be elected in the process of running... well, I suspect he is willing to live with the consequences of that risk.

sailingaway
11-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Highly unlikely that they would ask that. Is the campaign going to continue running away from interviews that might not be friendly? They did the same with Steve Deace. He is a frontrunner now, he needs exposure.

If it is Jennifer Rubin, no. she hates him so rabidly she drools when she writes about him. Others would probably build him up before trashing him. It is their MO.

KingNothing
11-16-2011, 11:33 AM
The point Douglas Adams made somewhere in the Hitchhiker's Guild to the Galaxy series was that the person you want to put in charge is the person who doesn't want to be in charge. The one who wants to be in charge has a personal reason for it. That one has an agenda, and you probably won't like that agenda. The one who doesn't want the job doesn't have an agenda. That person will just do the best job he or she can and get it over with.

I know RCP is trying to do a hit piece here, but as far as I'm concerned this is a selling point. If he doesn't really want to be president, that just means he's less concerned with the perks and more concerned with the responsibility. This makes me want him to be my president. Who cares if he's willing? I'm more than willing!

Paul's displaying a modern day nolo episcopari. That says a lot about the man.

bluesc
11-16-2011, 11:35 AM
If it is Jennifer Rubin, no. she hates him so rabidly she drools when she writes about him. Others would probably build him up before trashing him. It is their MO.

They will still print it, just with absolutely no challenge to her claims.

KingNothing

That really is the funniest part of the media. It isn't even limited to politics. They build people up, then unabashedly rip them down. It's habitual.

specsaregood

Exactly, not worth to give some people the time of day.

acptulsa

There are some that would do anything to knock him out of the top tier. To be the one who caught Ron Paul off guard and hit him with the right combination of trick question and attitude that knocked him out of contention would be better for a career than a Pulitzer Prize.

He's a frontrunner now. He needs to 'de-incentivize' propagandists and reward journalists. If he can still find some...

bluesc
11-16-2011, 11:37 AM
There are some that would do anything to knock him out of the top tier. To be the one who caught Ron Paul off guard and hit him with the right combination of trick question and attitude that knocked him out of contention would be better for a career than a Pulitzer Prize.

He's a frontrunner now. He needs to 'de-incentivize' propagandists and reward journalists. If he can still find some...

What will he do once he wins Iowa? He will be invited to do big interviews, will he ignore them because they are potentially hostile? It's impossible to reach a national audience without going through these people. The establishment made it that way.

lucent
11-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Highly unlikely that they would ask that.

Want to bet?

sailingaway
11-16-2011, 11:39 AM
What will he do once he wins Iowa? He will be invited to do big interviews, will he ignore them because they are potentially hostile? It's impossible to reach a national audience without going through these people. The establishment made it that way.

Oh he will do and has done interviews. I suspect this was more a prioritization of time, should he do that or something else? I doubt he has much truly 'unspoken for' time at this point. He has two major policy speeches today, Cato and then a major Health Care presentation.

bluesc
11-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Want to bet?

Sure, $10,000.

bluesc
11-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Oh he will do and has done interviews. I suspect this was more a prioritization of time, should he do that or something else? I doubt he has much truly 'unspoken for' time at this point. He has two major policy speeches today, Cato and then a major Health Care presentation.

This would probably be on the front page of a website that has 8,000,000 visitors in the US per month, and the front page of the publication that has a huge circulation. I would call that a priority.

klamath
11-16-2011, 11:46 AM
This has always been RP's attitude about being President and I love him for it. You have to be one egotistical SOB to WANT that job.
He is and never will be the bragging alfa male, but the man that uses his intellect to lead. General Robert E Lee was this kind of man as was Wasington.

JohnGalt23g
11-16-2011, 11:51 AM

When he wins Iowa, he moves on to NH, and deals with the local media there. Same thing with SC.

After SC, if we're in a position to win... then the WaPO, the NYT, the WSJ and all the other national opinion makers can have their say. Until then, the Des Moines Register and the Manchester Union Leader get top priority.

acptulsa
11-16-2011, 11:51 AM

Well, you know, I can't read his mind. But I saw him on the Fox 'All Stars' show taking the heat and not breaking a sweat. I assume you can infer as much from that as I can.

But two things I hope he will do. I hope he won't miss an appointment with one interviewer because another offers him an impromptu interview while he's on the way to the other. And I hope he will reward journalism by giving priority to journalists over propagandists, so that more journalists and fewer propagandists can boast of having a major guest to help them compete in the news marketplace.

Brian4Liberty
11-16-2011, 12:05 PM
This was a hit piece, based purely on the reporter's interpretation and opinion.

As far as desiring the Office of the President, here's a historical perspective:

In order to appreciate the reasons for the Electoral College, it is
essential to understand its historical context and the problem that the
Founding Fathers were trying to solve. They faced the difficult question of
how to elect a president in a nation that:
• felt that gentlemen should not campaign for public office (The saying
was "The office should seek the man, the man should not seek the
office.").

http://www.fec.gov/pdf/eleccoll.pdf

ShaneEnochs
11-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Why the hell would anyone want to be president? Look at any two term president. Look at the before and after photo. It ages you really, really badly. I can't imagine the amount of stress that the President has to put up with.

sailingaway
11-16-2011, 12:45 PM
They will still print it, just with absolutely no challenge to her claims.

On the other hand, I agree about Deace. They have to be able to kick the tires. They may not like his stance on everything as well as some who can't win, but of those who can, Ron will be the best for their issues, by far. Because he is absolutely sincere and consistent, even when the winds blow the other way.

undergroundrr
11-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Great, great comments below that article.

Sunstruck-Eden
11-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Why the hell would anyone want to be president? Look at any two term president. Look at the before and after photo. It ages you really, really badly. I can't imagine the amount of stress that the President has to put up with.

Indeed. Hilary is just the Secretary of State and look how much she's aged in three years.

SlowSki
11-16-2011, 01:01 PM
I bet Ron thought the question was dumb. I mean, he's running for president for the 3rd time. Plus, who in their right mind would really WANT to be president or in politics for that matter.

I personally really liked his answer, but I know not everyone will take his answer the same way. It made me think of one of my favorite quotes though...

"To summarize: it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it. To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem."

Working Poor
11-16-2011, 01:26 PM
My heart feels so light right now.

acptulsa
11-16-2011, 01:58 PM
My heart feels so light right now.

+rep

We're polling second in New Hampshire and tied for the lead in Iowa, and this is the best one of our most ardent enemies can come up with.

It's enough to give me my sense of humor back. Not that everyone would agree that this is a good thing...

BUSHLIED
11-16-2011, 02:32 PM
I think the general essence of the article is correct. Paul is reluctant but because of external pressure he ran...he is not doing this for himself but for his country...he's got to be scared, anxious, freaked-out about the prospects of winning but will perform his duty to his supporters and continue to run as best he can...

low preference guy
11-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Wtf?

So what? All I see here is the bias of the reporter. Why would he write something so irrelevant? Because his feeling were hurt as Paul didn't jump with joy for an interview?

Crotale
11-16-2011, 04:03 PM
I think it's more of a case of Ron Paul just being his humble self. He's more about promoting his ideas/views than himself. He clearly thinks the message is much more important than he is. I wish he could be a little more enthusastic about it, but his humblenss won't allow it, it's just not who he is. I highly doubt you could pay him to toot his own horn.

Power is best left in the hands of those who don't seek it.

sailingaway
11-16-2011, 04:04 PM
I think the general essence of the article is correct. Paul is reluctant but because of external pressure he ran...he is not doing this for himself but for his country...he's got to be scared, anxious, freaked-out about the prospects of winning but will perform his duty to his supporters and continue to run as best he can...

I can't imagine Ron freaked out about it.

bluesc
11-16-2011, 04:05 PM
So what? All I see here is the bias of the reporter. Why would he write something so irrelevant? Because his feeling were hurt as Paul didn't jump with joy for an interview?

I was more concerned that Ron didn't answer questions. After seeing the Daily Caller video, he looked quite happy though.

matt0611
11-16-2011, 04:11 PM
"Great men do not seek power. They have power thrust upon them. "
~Kahless, Star Trek

jmdrake
11-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Meh on the article. But here's a quotable line:

He also said something some of his Republican rivals would never dream of uttering: "We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom."

pauliticalfan
11-16-2011, 04:14 PM
If they're really going to do a Washington Post front page profile on him, that's a pretty big deal. I would hope that the campaign would be able to set something up.

Kords21
11-16-2011, 04:14 PM
"Great men do not seek power. They have power thrust upon them. "
~Kahless, Star Trek

Nice!

mport1
11-16-2011, 04:45 PM
RP does not want to be President. We've all known this from the beginning. He is not a man who seeks power over other people.

Johncjackson
11-16-2011, 04:49 PM
What a stupid question. He has run for president 3 times. Does the reporter think this is simply a hobby?

Yeah. If anything, many articles seem to criticize him for being a frequent candidate. I have read many articles that mention nothing about him other than "Ron Paul, who is running for the 3rd time" or " who previously ran as a Libertarian in 1988 and a Republican in 2008."

And, from the article:
"A Daily Caller reporter asked the three-time presidential candidate if he was surprised to find himself leading in the new state polling. Paul replied, "Not entirely," because, he said, he's willing to challenge the status quo."

Uh, that's not even what he said in that interview. Those were 2 different questions/answers. The answer to the first part was that he had already been polling consistently, and the challenging the status quo part was in response to why he wasn't given time at the debate. "Journalists" suck.

WD-NY
11-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Paul wasn't anywhere near the cornfields of Iowa or the covered bridges of New Hampshire when he addressed the Cato crowd, but even when his presidential rivals swoop into the nation's capital for a speech, they tend to remind their audiences that they are running for president. It's something most people in this position simply can't stay quiet about. But more important, addressing a conference is an opening to get to more donors and support from activists or coalitions.

And yet, Paul didn't emulate Mitt Romney, who likes to tell listeners he is running for nation’s highest office, perhaps so they can get used to the idea; or Rick Perry, who said he'll bring what he did in Texas to Washington. Paul never asked for a vote, never asked for the support of the people in the room, and never talked about what his administration would do come 2013.

While not the most positive piece, I do think it raises some important questions/issues that I think many in the grassroots would like to hear Dr. Paul address (not to the media, but rather directly to us).

I can't help but be reminded of Karl Rove's thoughts on the subject:

“He doesn’t go to Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, not as much as he should....They seem to spend a lot of time talking to themselves and he spends a lot of time talking to them,”

Now obviously, given the last 2 polls in Iowa and NH, one can argue that this isn't really the case... so perhaps I'm wrong to worry....

But honestly, I can't help but hope that Ron makes a more concerted effort to actively ask for the support of the not just the people he meets on the campaign trail but the opionators/op-ed writers covering the 2012 election... yes I know it's "not in his nature to do so" but that doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do.

sailingaway
11-17-2011, 01:00 PM
While not the most positive piece, I do think it raises some important questions/issues that I think many in the grassroots would like to hear Dr. Paul address (not to the media, but rather directly to us).

I can't help but be reminded of Karl Rove's thoughts on the subject:

Now obviously, given the last 2 polls in Iowa and NH, one can argue that this isn't really the case... so perhaps I'm wrong to worry....

But honestly, I can't help but hope that Ron makes a more concerted effort to actively ask for the support of the not just the people he meets on the campaign trail but the opionators/op-ed writers covering the 2012 election... yes I know it's "not in his nature to do so" but that doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do.

Or at least his campaign should. I understand Cain just bailed on an interview with the NH Union Leader because they wanted to videotape it. Maybe Ron can take that interview.... :p

WD-NY
11-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Or at least his campaign should. I understand Cain just bailed on an interview with the NH Union Leader because they wanted to videotape it. Maybe Ron can take that interview.... :p

Most definitely! Ron loves those types of interviews!

Cain's Wisconsin interview blowup and the clips I've seen of Mittens and Gingrich doing these types of interviews as well makes me appreciate Ron's amazing hour+ long marathon interviews with the papers/editors in NH and Iowa all the more.

Whereas most polticos/politicians find these policy discussion interviews with the editorial boards incredibly stressful and/or grueling, Paul doesn't even seem to bat an eye... best of all, his tone = BOSS during these sit downs since he never feels rushed to wrap up his answer into a 30 second soundbite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0mGDcybDL4

Ted
11-17-2011, 02:21 PM

Very well elucidated.

Ron Paul is not suffering from the Reluctant Saviour Syndrome...he is just an authentically humble man, that is in direct oppostition to those in the media.