PDA

View Full Version : New Ubisoft Rainbow Six Video Game with Homegrown Terrorists....

coastie
11-14-2011, 11:11 PM
...you know, the kind the MIAC report and SPLC and the US.gov think are terrorists.

Me and you.

Background: My son (13) and I love FPS games. Mainly, the Call of Duty series on XBox 360, and the excellent "remake" of GoldenEye on Wii(we have the original on N64 as well), but we have dabbled in the Rainbow Six franchise here and there over the years, and from a gaming standpoint, they were good games in their own right(this thread isn't a discussion of the morality of shooting people in games, my kid knows the difference and handles real guns better than the ones in the games). These games are all based on Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six novels.

The new Game Informer mag showed up today, and while I am by no means a "gamer" in the sense that I keep up too much on things, i.e. read these magazines, the title caught my eye today...

"Ubisoft (developer) Explores the Volatile Political Climate with a Ground Breaking and Controversial Look at Homegrown Terror"

Ever the wary potential "target" of being labeled one of these "terrorists", I opened the magazine right there, leaned against the mailbox, and began to read.

Much to my disgust-and satisfaction of once again correctly feeling this was going to happen-the following propaganda was in the story.

Creative Director David Sears: "We knew we had to have a story this time that's very plausible,very relevant, and that touches on the current fears of US Citizens" :confused:

article continues,
"If properly coordinated, the emerging rage-fueled para-military groups angered over the direction of the country could cause irreparable damage to our political and financial foundations.":confused: This was not one of the developers, but the author of the article giving some "background" info on these paramilitary groups, that "everyone" today is currently afraid of.-coastie

Sears-"Our enemies(in the game) are inspired by these paramilitary groups, political radicals who we see all over YouTube, and former military men and women who have valiantly served their country but then return home and feel disenfranchised and forgotten."he says. "They don't return as heroes, and they feel like they have been neglected. These are the groups of people who would join our terrorist group":eek::toady:

When describing the leader of this movement -- known as the True Patriots -- he is described as wanting to become a martyr, and that through his actions be recognized in history

"..as a founding father of a new country in which people have embraced the civil liberties that are granted in the Constitution":confused::eek::toady: Wait. Lemme get this straight-your entire story is based on a man leading a new country based on the same country he is already in?:toady:-coastie

The story goes on to describe the insurgents as, well.....all of us. Everyday you and me's. More specifically, the main targets are the government and the financial institutions, because the True Patriots "believe" they are in collusion to fuck over the common man(paraphrased), and we all know only homegrown terrorists would think or want to do that. :rolleyes:

I know it is just a game, but geezlouise.

rambone
11-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Wow. This is ridiculous. WTF.

Homegrown Terrorists Fight To Take Back America In Rainbow 6: Patriots (http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/11/homegrown-terrorists-fight-to-take-back-america-in-rainbow-6-patriots/)

In the latest entry in the venerable series, Team Rainbow faces off against the True Patriots, a well-organized and well-funded revolutionary group aiming to overthrow a U.S. government they feel has been rendered useless by corruption. Players will have to make “tough ethical decisions” as the story progresses, signaling a brand new direction for the franchise. Perhaps that’s why they’ve stopped using Rainbow Six in favour of the sleeker, sexier Rainbow 6.

Rainbow Six Set to Invade New York With Home-Grown Terrorism (http://kotaku.com/5807528/rainbow-six-will-blow-your-fucking-mind)

In this still-to-be-titled Rainbow Six, players will be tasked with stopping a homegrown terrorist group operating in America. The group, fed up with the greed of Wall Street and the government that acts to protect them, decides to target New York City.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aginsHjnjh0

ShaneEnochs
11-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Unbelievable...

Zatch
11-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Sounds good. Can't wait to play it. :toady:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcAO-LNc-Wc

rambone
11-15-2011, 12:39 AM
Conditioning Americans towards Fascism. Hunting down your fellow citizens. Soldiers operating openly inside the U.S.

Welcome to the New World Order.

ryanmkeisling
11-15-2011, 12:47 AM
sounds like a souped up version of OWS......

coastie
11-15-2011, 12:47 AM
Sounds good. Can't wait to play it. :toady:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcAO-LNc-Wc

Indeed, it does.:toady:

But the conditioning factor is enough of a turn-off for me to where I wont buy it.

Zatch
11-15-2011, 01:00 AM
bump

James Madison
11-15-2011, 01:05 AM
@OP

Quick! Make another post!!!

CaptainAmerica
11-15-2011, 01:11 AM
Ubisoft can eat SHIT

CaptainAmerica
11-15-2011, 01:20 AM
BOYCOTT THIS SHIT!Im creating a steam group

NorfolkPCSolutions
11-15-2011, 01:37 AM
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible make violent revolution inevitable."

- John Jensen, Writer/Director, Land of the Free (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8298479803481414932)

Tom Clancy is simply gazing into the same crystal ball that Jensen did. Difference is, this game is going to brainwash young minds, while the movie may wake them up as to why the game might be telling the story from the wrong side.

Ah, shit - am I a domestic terrorist now?

Lafayette
11-15-2011, 02:26 AM
Rainbow Six : Counter Terrorism Simulator 2011

You play an FBI agent tasked with finding down on their luck people who may be mentally unstable, talking them into committing terrorist acts and supplying them with fake bombs and planning, then swooping in to save the day at the last second from a non-threat threat you created.

In this new fast paced FPS do you have what it takes to keep America in fear?

PreOrder now and receive the limited edition cardboard toilet paper tube filled with gun powder in game item.

Rated M -for Mundane

Sola_Fide
11-15-2011, 02:29 AM
Can you pick sides in the game?

GunnyFreedom
11-15-2011, 02:44 AM
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible make violent revolution inevitable."

- John Jensen, Writer/Director, Land of the Free (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8298479803481414932)

Tom Clancy is simply gazing into the same crystal ball that Jensen did. Difference is, this game is going to brainwash young minds, while the movie may wake them up as to why the game might be telling the story from the wrong side.

Ah, shit - am I a domestic terrorist now?

I've always wanted to see an extended version of that...

Kludge
11-15-2011, 03:25 AM
Controversy always, always, always boosts game sales. Game companies have, in the past, PAID people to "boycott" and protest games. Keep that in mind.

I haven't read anything about being able to. But if you can't, I'm pretty confused by what "tough ethical choices" could be presented. "Do I roast the fellow alive or go for a clean kill?" Edit: Oh wait, here's one -- turns out your family is affiliated with the Patriots and they're threatening to... Idunno... blockade a port and take all non-compliant workers hostage unless the USG passes legislation to end the IRS. So then, you can either sneak in and free the hostages (which'd be significantly more difficult), or start a bloodbath and kill your family.

It isn't due out until some time in 2013, so let's not get too riled up before there're more details released. The "gameplay" trailer they put out wasn't even real gameplay. I'm pretty sure they're asking for this controversy.

Rael
11-15-2011, 03:30 AM

I was wondering the same thing.

Ranger29860
11-15-2011, 05:53 AM
I think what a lot of people fail to realize with this is the possibility that it might open peoples minds. The video is a little extreme but its what they need to do to make sales. Clancy has always been good about giving both sides and creating an almost sympathetic feeling for the "enemies". Not to mention this is the gaming industry we are talking about. You want a group of liberty minded people this is the industry to find them in.

Think about what this game will do. It will make people ask question like.

Why are they doing this.
Are they truly wrong?

I don't think this is going to be as negative as people think. Ubisofts games have been very heavy on libertarian ideas. I don't see how this couldn't continue in this game.

*edit*
Hell even in the beggining of the video they talk about bailouts and people taking advantage of the situation. The means are wrong but the motivation is there. I think people will sympathize with the True Patriots just they won't condone there actions.

ShaneEnochs
11-15-2011, 09:12 AM
You guys remember when MW2 made all the headlines when you had to shoot civilians in the airport?

This kind of reminds me of that.

Diurdi
11-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Well, without actually knowing how the game plays out, it's hard to judge it. What if it happens to actually be thought provoking and not black-white at all?

coastie
11-15-2011, 09:31 AM
I was wondering the same thing.

According to the article, you play both sides at different parts of the game. It makes it pretty clear that the "side" we would be on is the wrong side.

I mean, come on...from the article:

If properly coordinated, the emerging rage-fueled paramilitary groups angered over the direction of the country could cause irreparable damage to our political and financial foundations

Because, you know, the current political and financial foundations are the same thing we have today.:confused:

specsaregood
11-15-2011, 09:36 AM

That ^. I was left wondering which side was supposed to be the bad guys.

2young2vote
11-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Yeah, I saw the video. It looks great. I don't care about the political ideas seeing as how nearly every movie, book and video game does the same thing. this one is just more extreme. Bioshock had one of the best stories ever in video games and it wasn't pro-liberty leaning.

AuH20
11-15-2011, 09:47 AM
It doesn't sound that bad:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/11/11/rainbow-6-patriots-advancing-the-narrative-in-shooters.aspx?PageIndex=2

However, the one developer says that there aren't any contemporary movements that are both anti-government and anti-corporate cronyism? Huh?

mello
11-15-2011, 10:04 AM
FYI, Ubisoft is a Canadian company.

Sola_Fide
11-15-2011, 10:11 AM
FYI, Ubisoft is a Canadian company.

That explains it. Commies. :toady:

jkob
11-15-2011, 11:21 AM
True Patriots... Tea Party... Pretty close. I doubt it will be a flattering portrayal.

pcosmar
11-15-2011, 11:32 AM
True Patriots... Tea Party... Pretty close. I doubt it will be a flattering portrayal.

Do you know the position of the Tea party (originally) and the Occupy movement have similar roots?
And have both been hopelessly Co-Opted.

http://ampedstatus.org/network/about/

It’s time to mobilize and aggressively move on common sense political reforms.

As long as the economy and government are rigged by the top economic 0.1%, we will all lose.

The economic top one-tenth of one percent of the population has launched an economic war against us. They have consolidated tens of trillions of dollars. We now have the highest and most severe inequality of wealth in history. While there are a record number of people currently living paycheck to paycheck, in debt, unemployed, underemployed, without healthcare, on food stamps and in poverty; as our society is breaking down, global bankers have taken our tax dollars and given themselves all-time record-breaking bonuses. The same people who destroyed our economy have been given trillions of dollars in national wealth.

As a broad-based network representing people across the political spectrum, we are working together to reach common ground and fight for pivotal political reforms. Members of this social network are part a decentralized movement that has two goals:

1) End the System of Political Bribery (campaign finance, lobbying, revolving door)
2) Break Up the “Too Big To Fail” Banks and the Federal Reserve

These are the two key issues that we must urgently rally around and support. Unless we organize and take decisive action, we will all suffer the consequences of our collective inaction. Any politician who does not support these issues must be voted out of office and replaced by people who will aggressively fight on these fronts.

This was in the last election,, please watch.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?330008-Some-History

Why is it that those that oppose the Tyranny or want to Restore the Constitution are called "anti-Government"?

Napolitanic Wars
11-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Reminds me of when Conflict: Desert Storm came out on the eve of the Iraq invasion.

aGameOfThrones
11-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Seems like 1776 all over again. You know, the founding fathers were terrorist to some(British crown) and freedom fighters to others.

Nate-ForLiberty
11-15-2011, 01:36 PM
To derive entertainment from realistic murders is sociopathic and sick. Hiding behind the label "gamer" is cowardly.

Turn off the TV, throw out the XBox.

coastie
11-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Why is it that those that oppose the Tyranny or want to Restore the Constitution are called "anti-Government"?

Because that makes you the enemy, and easy to identify, comrade.

Ranger29860
11-15-2011, 01:42 PM
To derive entertainment from realistic murders is sociopathic and sick. Hiding behind the label "gamer" is cowardly.

I play games and i shoot people in games. I am not a sociopath. I take it you have NEVER enjoyed a movie with violence in it? It's entertaining to play video games. Simple as that. Murder is a human killing another human. I hate to ruin it for you but video games are not real. Its not murder it is nowhere close. If you can't tell the diffrence thats sad.

CaptainAmerica
11-15-2011, 01:43 PM
I play games and i shoot people in games. I am not a sociopath. I take it you have NEVER enjoyed a movie with violence in it? It's entertaining to play video games. Simple as that. Murder is a human killing another human. I hate to ruin it for you but video games are not real. Its not murder it is nowhere close. If you can't tell the diffrence thats sad. this game is obviously 100 percent propaganda

Ranger29860
11-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Yeah, I saw the video. It looks great. I don't care about the political ideas seeing as how nearly every movie, book and video game does the same thing. this one is just more extreme. Bioshock had one of the best stories ever in video games and it wasn't pro-liberty leaning.

Exaclty! Its a game based on a plausible scenario. Which has really been selling good in the last few years. Gamers can tell the difrence between reality and a game. I agree bioshock was really anti liberty but it doesn't matter its still a good game and i loved it. This game looks nice and i am hoping that they keep the old squad controll system. Every game is going to piss some people off for its potrales its just our turn.

Ranger29860
11-15-2011, 01:48 PM
this game is obviously 100 percent propaganda

How? I simply don't see it. This is normal content for all the rainbow six games. Just because it hits close to home for us doesn't mean its out to send a message. Modern warfare is all about the evil russians but it doens't mean it was a propaganda peice to attack russia. This is simply a diffrent scenario in a modern fps. The whole terrorist arabs and bad russians thing was getting old.

Nate-ForLiberty
11-15-2011, 01:49 PM
I play games and i shoot people in games. I am not a sociopath. I take it you have NEVER enjoyed a movie with violence in it? It's entertaining to play video games. Simple as that. Murder is a human killing another human. I hate to ruin it for you but video games are not real. Its not murder it is nowhere close. If you can't tell the diffrence thats sad.

Typical response from a sociopath. I've played more than my fair share of video games. In fact, I've probably played my share and your share combined. I've killed tens of thousands of digital humans, creatures, and undead things for more than 20 years. I know the argument "it's just a video game", and I'm here to tell you that argument is garbage.

My favorite movie is The Matrix, which got reamed for the violence it contain when it came out. I don't like it because of the violence, and I'm not so immature as to dismiss something simply because it is violent. However, if you sit around engaging in simulated murder for hours on end, what the fuck do you think is happening at a subconscious level?

Time to rethink how you entertain yourself, friend.

pcosmar
11-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Because that makes you the enemy, and easy to identify, comrade.

From the last election,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qizsRCWyUE&feature=related

Folks should really watch the whole thing.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?330008-Some-History

Anti Federalist
11-15-2011, 01:52 PM
That.

It just further enables the sickness of a society that is terrified of death yet glorifies and wallows in it at the same time.

Conditioning, making it that much easier to accept the real thing turned on neighbors, friends and family.

Nate-ForLiberty
11-15-2011, 01:53 PM
How? I simply don't see it. This is normal content for all the rainbow six games. Just because it hits close to home for us doesn't mean its out to send a message. Modern warfare is all about the evil russians but it doens't mean it was a propaganda peice to attack russia. This is simply a diffrent scenario in a modern fps. The whole terrorist arabs and bad russians thing was getting old.

You don't think an anti-Russian theme is propaganda?

*facepalm*

dude, unplug.

Ranger29860
11-15-2011, 02:08 PM
You don't think an anti-Russian theme is propaganda?

*facepalm*

dude, unplug.

I don't need to unplug. I work as a programmer in the gaming industry and I can tell you right now without a doubt that your full of it. You know how people come up with ideas like this in a development studio? We sit around a big table and throw out "hey it would be cool" ideas all day long until one sticks. It has nothing to do with propaganda. There is not a almighty executive that says we MUST make a game based on american terrorist. Usually its just we need a game set in this era and with this genre since that is what is selling atm.

You know why Modern Warfare went with that theme? IT SOUNDED COOL! You know why they are making this game? Because it sounded like a cool idea! Seriously there is no cabal of people working on brainwashing the kids. You wan't pro liberty people? Look into the gaming industry!

*edited for spelling*

Nate-ForLiberty
11-15-2011, 02:18 PM
I don't need to unplug. I work as a programmer in the gaming idustry and I can tell you right now without a doubt that your full of it. You know how people come up with ideas like this in a development studio? We sit around a big table and throw out "hey it would be cool" ideas all day long until one sticks. It has nothing to do with propaganda. There is not almighty executive that says we MUST make a game based on american terrorist. Usually its just we need a game set in this era and with this genre since that is what is selling atm.

You know why Modern Warfare went with that theme? IT SOUNDED COOL! You know why they are making this game? Because it sounded like a cool idea! Seriously there is no cabal of people working on brainwashing the kids. You wan't pro liberty people? Look into the gaming industry!

So a group of people sit around a table thinking up different scenarios where mass amounts of people get murdered. . .

....and that isn't sick how?

So you work in the gaming industry on these types of games, are getting all puffed up when someone calls you out on what kind of product you're making, and still think what you are doing has no consequences...

I'll remind you that you already had in your mind the type of person I was. (you were completely 180 wrong). Simple fact is, I was just like you. JUST like you.

Then I took some responsibility for my actions.

Athan
11-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Discussing it here is all well and good. However more productive would be to write well written letters to Gameinformer's editors, or other game review sites. ('Cept IGN, cuz you can't spell IGNorant without IGN. lol)

Let them know you don't want patriotic citizens to be demonized and just be another person for target practice by the government agents in a video game. Let them know that showing sympathy for those who are killing American citizens is immoral, wrong, disgusting, un-American, and evil. Besides, a boycott on the company won't work. A boycot on just this game might work, but the game industry needs to hear it's fans utter disappointment with the subject.

pcosmar
11-15-2011, 02:27 PM
It has nothing to do with propaganda. There is not a almighty executive that says we MUST make a game based on american terrorist. Usually its just we need a game set in this era and with this genre since that is what is selling atm.

I wouldn't likely have the same reaction if the game allowed for one to join and play the side of the Freedom Fighters against a Tyrannical Government.

That does not seem the case though.

Ranger29860
11-15-2011, 02:32 PM
So a group of people sit around a table thinking up different scenarios where mass amounts of people get murdered. . .

....and that isn't sick how?

WOW really? Do you really think we sit around and go "man how can we kill the maximum amount of people? That is incredibly wrong. We come up with an idea then expand. So lets say we are discussing a FPS first we come up with a catch. Something like portal guns for an example.Then we work on how to best implement our idea into a playable game. If it involves killing things we determin types of enemies and what they are like. Then we discuss how the play interacts with them. IF its killing its killing. We don't sit around for the sole purpose of deciding how we kill mass amounts of people. Thats not how we start off nore how we end it. Killing in a FPS is a staple gameplay element. We don't try to maximize it we just try to implement our ideas and features into the mold.

We are not a bunch of sicko's

Also I NEVER said what type of person you were I simply asked if you have ever watched a violent film in order to show you the entertainment value in enjoying that type of entertainment.

BTW you are not just like me. I live in reality where people know what a video game is and that it is not real. There have been a whole slew of studies on the effects of violent video games on people and all have come back saying there was no consequences. This includes the goverment reports that were done to try to outlaw violent video games.

Toureg89
11-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Typical response from a sociopath. I've played more than my fair share of video games. In fact, I've probably played my share and your share combined. I've killed tens of thousands of digital humans, creatures, and undead things for more than 20 years. I know the argument "it's just a video game", and I'm here to tell you that argument is garbage.

My favorite movie is The Matrix, which got reamed for the violence it contain when it came out. I don't like it because of the violence, and I'm not so immature as to dismiss something simply because it is violent. However, if you sit around engaging in simulated murder for hours on end, what the fuck do you think is happening at a subconscious level?

Time to rethink how you entertain yourself, friend.
i somehow doubt without being a psychologist and a neurologist, you can actually know how "violent" game play effects other people on a case by case basis, especially since we know very little about the brain.

for those of us who can separate the freedom of killing non-real, digital humans, and taking the life of another human being who has inalienable rights, there is no cognitive dissonance, nor are there conflicting ideas at play.

we feel emotions just like everyone else. we have inward feelings of disgust for REAL violence, feel sorrowed at REAL suffering, and get satisfaction out of having helped other REAL people.

Ranger29860
11-15-2011, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't likely have the same reaction if the game allowed for one to join and play the side of the Freedom Fighters against a Tyrannical Government.

That does not seem the case though.

The thing is there are games like that. Hell ubisoft has released games like that. Just look at the Assasin's creed series. This game jsut happens to not be that type of game. ITs simply an obviouse attempt to tap into the Call of Duty market. Since they can't use russians since it has been beaten to death they decided to use this. Remember this is there first real exposure for this game. They have to get peoples attentions. So I really doubt the game is as bad as it looks from that trailer they just need the shock value to creat hype so they realese the most eye grabbing stuff they can to put out.

Athan
11-15-2011, 02:37 PM
WOW really? Do you really think we sit around and go "man how can we kill the maximum amount of people?

Wait! Lets expand on that idea there.
:D

Ranger29860
11-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Wait! Lets expand on that idea there.
:D

LOL i have seen companies attempt jsut that (rarely) and they have completely flopped because of it. Violence for violence sake is not enough to make even a decent game. If there is no rhyme or reason for it then the player does not become immersed.

Nate-ForLiberty
11-15-2011, 02:43 PM
WOW really? Do you really think we sit around and go "man how can we kill the maximum amount of people? That is incredibly wrong. We come up with an idea then expand. So lets say we are discussing a FPS first we come up with a catch. Something like portal guns for an example.Then we work on how to best implement our idea into a playable game. If it involves killing things we determin types of enemies and what they are like. Then we discuss how the play interacts with them. IF its killing its killing. We don't sit around for the sole purpose of deciding how we kill mass amounts of people. Thats not how we start off nore how we end it. Killing in a FPS is a staple gameplay element. We don't try to maximize it we just try to implement our ideas and features into the mold.

Also I NEVER said what type of person you were I simply asked if you have ever watched a violent film in order to show you the entertainment value in enjoying that type of entertainment.

BTW you are not just like me. I live in reality where people know what a video game is and that it is not real. There have been a whole slew of studies on the effects of violent video games on people and all have come back saying there was no consequences. This includes the goverment reports that were done to try to outlaw violent video games.

omg. You think the way you go about creating a game based on simulated murder determines your level of sanity....

I'm simply flabbergasted. How can you not see it?!

A government report says video game violence is of no consequence?!?! SAY IT AIN'T SO!!

And if you were not so worked up you would have read my post correctly. I said I WAS just like you. Implying that I'm not like you anymore. Nor would I ever want to be. The irony is you're talking about living in reality when your whole lively hood is based on distorting reality through simulacra.
You are so deep in it. There is really no point to talking with you about it anymore. Sorry man.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/files/facepalm_132.jpg

AuH20
11-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Imagine if they decided to make a game in which the government was the enemy? How long would their credit line last?

Ranger29860
11-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Something i have noticed that seems kinda funny about this whoile video game killing thing. If video games make you wan't to kill people then does that mean when i see and orc or some weird turtle I am going to kill them to? What about fairies and rats. Not to mention elves, cow people, goblins, walking trees or even some sort of orcturtlefarieratelf that walks like a cow while being ridden by goblins eating fruit off a walking tree?

Ranger29860
11-15-2011, 02:49 PM
omg. You think the way you go about creating a game based on simulated murder determines your level of sanity....

I'm simply flabbergasted. How can you not see it?!

A government report says video game violence is of no consequence?!?! SAY IT AIN'T SO!!

And if you were not so worked up you would have read my post correctly. I said I WAS just like you. Implying that I'm not like you anymore. Nor would I ever want to be. The irony is you're talking about living in reality when your whole lively hood is based on distorting reality through simulacra.
You are so deep in it. There is really no point to talking with you about it anymore. Sorry man.

[/IMG]

I SAID A GOVERMENT REPORT ALONG WITH NON GOVERMENT REPORTS SAID THIS. Quit quote mining.

OrigSEOH
11-15-2011, 02:50 PM
I quit playing them because they made me sick in the head with graven images. Bad dreams, anxiety, chest pain and etc... I have found with my age I would rather dwell on good knowledge.

Ranger29860
11-15-2011, 02:52 PM
I quit playing them because they made me sick in the head with graven images. Bad dreams, anxiety, chest pain and etc... I have found with my age I would rather dwell on good knowledge.

Thats something more seriouse than video games. How do you develop anxiety from playing a game? not to metion chest pains. Bad dreams i can understand though. The original Resident Evil scared the crap out of me. But i got over it quick and it was no diffrent than seeing a scary movie for me.

*edit*

When you say graven images i assume you mean you killing people or seeing quotesqe images? I don't understand this i have never had this problem and have never heard anyone say that about playing a video game.

Athan
11-15-2011, 02:56 PM
I sometimes think. When I'm alone. Putting a live sparrow with huge taped eyebrows on a sling and just sling shotting that sucker on one of my uncle's piggies. Then saying "Veeee!"

Ranger29860
11-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Imagine if they decided to make a game in which the government was the enemy? How long would their credit line last?

There are quite a few games like that.

Ranger29860
11-15-2011, 02:57 PM
I sometimes think. When I'm alone. Putting a live sparrow with huge taped eyebrows on a sling and just sling shotting that sucker on one of my uncle's piggies. Then saying "Veeee!"

LOL it took my a couple minutes to put that together. Well played !

OrigSEOH
11-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I must be a defective unit. I should want to virtually kill people for hours.
Thats something more seriouse than video games. How do you develop anxiety from playing a game? not to metion chest pains. Bad dreams i can understand though. The original Resident Evil scared the crap out of me. But i got over it quick and it was no diffrent than seeing a scary movie for me.

*edit*

When you say graven images i assume you mean you killing people or seeing quotesqe images? I don't understand this i have never had this problem and have never heard anyone say that about playing a video game.

Athan
11-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I must be a defective unit. I should want to virtually kill people for hours.
Or... you may be a NPC.

OrigSEOH
11-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Maybe, I would rather do stuff for real, like talk to real people and catch real fish, or shoot real animals. Nevertheless, I even wrote the beginnings of my own game in C++ and OpenGL back in the 90's. The shit creeps me out, even playing Mario Cart for a extended time I wake up feeling the G-forces of skidding around the curves. I've come to the conclusion you can put good knowledge into systems or bad knowledge into them; therefore reap good fruits of bad fruits. Playing games for hours, killing people, I found myself thinking of killing people more often throughout my day to day life, and my dream world at night. I'm not saying we need to ban these games, just saying lust is lust, drama is drama. Some love it, I have no tolerance in my older age with young children in my life to press buttons. Plus we are worshiping some god like structure for creating this game to give us entertainment by paying homage unto them for their god like creation. All praise the entertainment gods :) Please, entertain me with virtual killing fields I will pay you. This, I believe, is where the greatness of the gold standard would play out. It will restrict the monetary base to the point where people will have to be very mindful of what they buy, as in things to survive, and not so much on lustful material items. I've spent thousands in games over the years and have noting to show for it. What a colossal waste of time and money on my part.

Or... you may be a NPC.

jason43
11-15-2011, 04:23 PM
I wish it was from the other perspective, even though everyone with half a brain knows that engaging the state in open combat is suicidal.

I think the graphics look really cool, I used to play these type of games, the last one being Halo where you fight Aliens, but I never graduated past the first X=Box.

I think it is much more concerning that the government lists anarchists, the militia movement, preppers, and libertarians as potential terrorists than what a video game scenario is. This game is just a sign of the times.

bkreigh
11-15-2011, 04:24 PM
I think we need to get the government involved and limit the content companies can use in video games. :cool:

newbitech
11-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Did you guys seem the latest GameInformer Conver story for this game? I may type it up from the Mag if any are interested. !

pcosmar
11-15-2011, 04:28 PM
I think it is much more concerning that the government lists anarchists, the militia movement, preppers, and libertarians as potential terrorists than what a video game scenario is. This game is just a sign of the times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America%27s_Army#Government_applications

In 2005, the America's Army developers partnered with the Software Engineering Directorate and the Army's Aviation and Missile Research Development Engineering Center in Huntsville, Alabama, to manage the commercial game development process and use the America's Army platform to create government training and simulations. "America's Army has pushed to reuse the same elements for many purposes," said Colonel Wardynski, originator of the Game, "We can build one soldier avatar and use it again and again. When we build something in America's Army, the U.S. government owns it completely ... and [it] can therefore be used for any application or use of the game. So costs keep going down. " After AA went live, requests started coming in to use the game for purposes other than recruiting, such as training

Ranger29860
11-15-2011, 08:54 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America%27s_Army#Government_applications
There are legitimate training applications with those "games"

Simulation design and game design are two different things. Americas Army is a simulation that just has been realised to the public. I was in the Army for four years and trust me when I say this military simulators look like the graphics came from the early 90's and are complete crap. You may shoot someone on screen but you can't even tell what the hell it is lol

Rocco
11-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Wow, some of the people in this thread need desperately to get a clue. In the no holds barred realm of RPF it gets easy to make outrageous proclamations, but quite frankly some of you sound like crazy people.

BW2112
11-16-2011, 12:00 AM
I guess im a sociopath because I like playing certain video games that involve killing a bunch of sprites that look like people:rolleyes:

8ClicksPerSecond
11-16-2011, 05:26 AM
There was already a game like this, even worse really; the name of the game Splinter Cell: Double Agent. In the game, it labeled the JBA (John Brown's Army, but I think of it as their way of saying the JBS [John Birch Society]) as a terrorist organization and you (the main character, Sam Fisher) had to infiltrate their ranks and bring them down.

Athan
11-16-2011, 08:13 AM
This, I believe, is where the greatness of the gold standard would play out. It will restrict the monetary base to the point where people will have to be very mindful of what they buy, as in things to survive, and not so much on lustful material items. I've spent thousands in games over the years and have noting to show for it. What a colossal waste of time and money on my part.

Or.. it would make them MUCH cheaper to buy. A win win either way. TO MANY GAMES TO BUY. NO TIME TO PLAY THEM ALL.

fcreature
11-19-2011, 10:25 PM
LMAO

Cdn_for_liberty
12-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Tom Clancy Rainbow Six Patriots world premiere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMz8PKe5RFU

"This is for the jobs you streamlined, the debts you collected; this is for the houses you forclosed on, the bailouts you took; we are the true patriots. It is time for a new balance of power. You may not answer to the governments but you answer to us...."

which side would most likely say this? the Tea Party or OWS?

check out one of the top comments in the youtube video:

If you haven't caught on, the man they are blowing up is Ron Paul.

2young2vote
12-11-2011, 05:45 PM
The trailer didn't do much for me. I want to see gameplay. The story sounds like it could be interesting depending on how well they tell it.

Freedom 4 all
12-11-2011, 06:54 PM

Red Faction Guerilla was kind of like that.