PDA

View Full Version : God Bless Our Troops

Remus Lupin
11-06-2007, 03:17 PM
I want to create this thread giving thanks for those who either have or is currently serving in the U.S armed forces as well as keeping them and their families in our thoughts and prayers. These men and women are the reason why our country is free.
Please don't use this thread for political discussion or your viewpoint regarding the war. This is about giving Godspeed to the warriors of our country.

Meatwasp
11-06-2007, 05:26 PM
I agree but now we must bring them home so they can live their lives again. So many have gone to that hole two three times its time to depart. That is why a lot of our troops are for Ron Paul

pcosmar
11-06-2007, 05:34 PM
I would love to see our troops home so they would be able to protect America.
It is a shame to see our brave men and women have to face injury and death for corporate and foreign interests.
It is a shame that their service has been abused.
I pray they are home soon.

werdd
11-06-2007, 06:29 PM
I want to create this thread giving thanks for those who either have or is currently serving in the U.S armed forces as well as keeping them and their families in our thoughts and prayers. These men and women are the reason why our country is free.
Please don't use this thread for political discussion or your viewpoint regarding the war. This is about giving Godspeed to the warriors of our country.

Agreed, they are the best among us. I just hope we can bring them home, and award them their victory we stole from them by trying to occupy a foreign nation.

johnrocks
11-06-2007, 06:31 PM

God bless our troops!

Hey,don't I know you:D

werdd
11-06-2007, 06:35 PM
God bless our troops!

Hey,don't I know you:D

whats up john, i remember you from hannity forums i got banned for trolling. Welcome here though!

FreeTraveler
11-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Well, I'll put on my thermal underwear before saying this, but remember, we have a volunteer army. If it weren't for the privates who volunteer, King George would have no troops to wage war. I have lots of appreciation for anyone who would volunteer to protect our shores, but no one who's enlisted in many years could have done so believing that to be the reason.

werdd
11-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Well, I'll put on my thermal underwear before saying this, but remember, we have a volunteer army. If it weren't for the privates who volunteer, King George would have no troops to wage war. I have lots of appreciation for anyone who would volunteer to protect our shores, but no one who's enlisted in many years could have done so believing that to be the reason.

Man i really think you gotta leave the politics out of it when it comes to our troops. If your out there fighting, you were probably enticed by the great financial benefits that come with it, and when you are there you dont care about anything but surviving. The troops don't make any decisions.

Marceline88
11-06-2007, 07:15 PM
God bless our troops, my heart and gratitude goes out to them.

Bring them back home now.

eloquensanity
11-06-2007, 07:45 PM
God Bless all of the troops everywhere.

My prayer is that by this time next year you will be all home with your families preparing for the holidays.
Amen

You are the best.:)

bbachtung
11-06-2007, 07:46 PM
I agree with Glenn Beck.

Boy that feels weird.

klamath
11-06-2007, 08:20 PM

You had to say I didn't You. Well there is a whole lot you don't know:mad: A lot of those troops over in Iraq joined when they thought they were protecting our country before and right after 911. They have served their tours or more. They have served their elistment but were hit with the stoploss and were held on active duty for more tours. Some got out and were recalled because when you join the military you are in the reserves for 8 years. I have a son that joined two months before 911, served two tours one in Iraq, was wounded and lead his squad while wounded in the battle of Falusjah. His squad members personally told his mother that they wouldn't be alive is it wasn't for him. He was nominated for a silver star for valor. My son got out two years ago but the buddies he served with are now getting recall letters to go serve again.
Why don't you got to join Hillary's campaign?

Meatwasp
11-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Well said Klamath

ape
11-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Yeah bless the troops, and stay safe over there in that desert!

Also, R.I.P. to my friend and former co worker Christopher Leon. He died on June 20th 2006 in Al Anbar province fighting sunni insurgents ( probably saudi's ). He was a good Marine.

Meatwasp
11-06-2007, 09:14 PM
I am sorry to hear that ape. I can imagine how you feel.

werdd
11-07-2007, 07:51 AM
my guess is the op was a hannity troll to see if we would diss the troops, glad we proved him wrong.

entropy
11-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Support the troops and their loved ones. Lets get them home with their families and out of harms way. A humble and grateful THANK YOU to all of our dedicated and professional military personnel.

freelance
11-07-2007, 10:06 AM
I support our troops no matter what. Until 1991, I had never met an active member of the military. I signed up for an all-volunteer operation to fly our troops to Gulf I. WHAT AN EYEOPENER! I have nothing but respect for our troops--at least most of them.

Bring them home NOW, and let them lead productive lives. We broke them. It's our responsibility to fix them, even if that means taking care of them the rest of our lives.

MarineMom
12-06-2007, 08:35 PM
my guess is the op was a hannity troll to see if we would diss the troops, glad we proved him wrong.I did some hunting on hannity crapsite and found the same guy posting there. He goes to board staff and reports anyone who comes to "his site" from here and gets them banned. He's a troll and brags about how he has a medical condition. Here is one of his gems: http://forums.hannity.com/showthread.php?t=433791
http://forums.hannity.com/showpost.php?p=17074171&postcount=1

Everytime he thinks a poster is from our site he calls them trolls and gets them banned.

His claim is the we (meaning Ron supporters) "hate" the troops. So you are right .... he's trolling and testing us so he can report back to his half-wit friends at hannity.com. I don't know about you but I have two sons, both serving in Iraq. They are both United States Marines and the quicker the get home from Iraq the better. They did not volunteer to be sacrificed by a President who is a moron and who does not care about the lives of our troops. They did not volunteer to serve a President who is carrying on a personal war and not engaging in warfare to protect our nation. We have a sick man in the White House and people like Remus Lupin are his "buds." Keep that in mind when you read his posts accusing us of being troop haters.

InRonWeTrust
12-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Let's leave "God" out of it, and say we love the troops!

Cowlesy
12-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Guys - the board is raising money to send care package on behalf of the forums to our guys over in Iraq. See the thread below:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=544927&highlight=soldiers+christmas#post544927

If you guys can rally the other board members into getting us to $1,000 for the chipin (currently at $510), I'll personally donate another $500 on December 15th.

We need all the kind words we can get for our guys as people spend their time and money in shopping centers, but kicking in an extra $5, or $10 to this chip-in for those who bravely volunteer to serve and protect our nation lets them know that we have not forgotten them, especially when they can't be home with their families at Christmas.

HOLLYWOOD
12-24-2008, 05:25 AM
Another Year... the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT still using STOP LOSS to not only keep American troops in IRAQ, AFGHANISTAN and anywhere else the Imperial Empire wants WAR... The Military is using STOP LOSS to keeping Milirat personnel from
leaving, when their enlustments are up...

On top of that... The Military is using STOP LOSS searching down veterans and mandating them back into the Military/WAR/ and deployments again to Iraq/Afghanistan and anywhere else UNCLE SAM MANDATES!

It Never ENDS...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/12/07/sunday/main4652633.shtml (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/12/07/sunday/main4652633.shtml)

Being a Vet... I salute the all VFWs and the current global deployments and personnel especially the ones, forced beyond their contracts.

I so sad true Americans get caught up in a political conjured Cess Pool of Global Violence and Totalitarianism of Washington DC using and abusing the Hearts, Families and Lives of Vets.

Happy Holidaysm especially when ALL the troops come HOME!

You had to say I didn't You. Well there is a whole lot you don't know:mad: A lot of those troops over in Iraq joined when they thought they were protecting our country before and right after 911. They have served their tours or more. They have served their enlistmentm but were hit with the stoploss and were held on active duty for more tours. Some got out and were recalled because when you join the military you are in the reserves for 8 years. I have a son that joined two months before 911, served two tours one in Iraq, was wounded and lead his squad while wounded in the battle of Falusjah. His squad members personally told his mother that they wouldn't be alive is it wasn't for him. He was nominated for a silver star for valor. My son got out two years ago but the buddies he served with are now getting recall letters to go serve again.
Why don't you got to join Hillary's campaign?

Ozwest
12-24-2008, 07:22 AM
I'm sorry.

I will invite retribution...

But, the rest of the world does not look so kindly upon your soldiers.

I am sure they are fine men.

But...

Ozwest
12-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Bugger off!

Let it rest.

Ozwest
12-24-2008, 07:37 AM
With respect to your fine men.

Crash Martinez
12-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Yeah, and no offense to the soldiers, but "they're the reason this country is free?" There's a pretty big assumption behind that statement...

Anti Federalist
12-24-2008, 11:34 AM
I find a "bless the troops" sentiment to be somewhat vapid without any context.

If the men in armed combat are serving a noble cause?

What if they are serving an unjust cause, at the behest of a corrupt and unjust leadership, leaving hundreds of thousands of dead in their wake?

Put another way: did the troops of the Waffen SS or NKVD deserve "blessings" as well?

Blessings should not be automatically bestowed just by virtue of putting on a state uniform.

lodge939
12-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Stop loss is explained and is in the contract.

Theocrat
12-24-2008, 01:01 PM
"God bless our troops?" There is no God, according to some members on Liberty Forest. To them, God is dead. But if God is dead, then that means He must have been alive at some point. And if He was alive (being very God) then that means He couldn't have died, being eternal. Hmmm. Something's not right here...

How will our troops ever be blessed? If God doesn't exist, then neither can blessings because they are, by necessity, a bestowal of favor from God Himself! :eek:

Crash Martinez
12-24-2008, 01:17 PM
There is no God, according to some members on Liberty Forest. To them, God is dead. But if God is dead, then that means He must have been alive at some point. And if He was alive (being very God) then that means He couldn't have died, being eternal. Hmmm. Something's not right here...

OK, I am an Orthodox Presbyterian, so lest you think I'm criticizing your ultimate argument here, I would just like to point out first that I am not.

Anyway, the phrase "God is dead" was popularized by Nietzsche, although he was not actually proposing the claim itself, but urging some atheistic consistency from those who would. The meaning was not that God had died, as one living who then ceased to live (although we know that in the person of Jesus Christ the very same actually did occur, but that's unrelated); it was that the notion of God's existence, or the "binding" power of the supposedly superstitious belief in God, had finally passed away from humanity. In other words, it was a declaration of human mental "liberation" from the "need" of God or religion or morality, etc. (akin to liberation from breathing, I would argue). Nietzsche exhorted that if you want to believe that God doesn't exist, or that Religion Is Dead - which may have been a more accurate though less self-amused way to phrase it - then you would have to conclude a host of consequences which most so-called athiests of his day never really wanted to accept, for instance that the sum total of human "ethics" amounts to will to power. But I can't teach a Nietzsche seminar; I just don't like it when a Christian perspective is presented from a position of evident ignorance regarding the argument at hand. IOW, don't quote "God is dead" without paying some attention to the totality of its background. It will fall of its own weight ultimately, but as Christians we don't do ourselves any favors by attacking it on a superficial level.

/soapbox session.

Theocrat
12-24-2008, 01:35 PM
OK, I am an Orthodox Presbyterian, so lest you think I'm criticizing your ultimate argument here, I would just like to point out first that I am not.

Anyway, the phrase "God is dead" was popularized by Nietzsche, although he was not actually proposing the claim itself, but urging some atheistic consistency from those who would. The meaning was not that God had died, as one living who then ceased to live (although we know that in the person of Jesus Christ the very same actually did occur, but that's unrelated); it was that the notion of God's existence, or the "binding" power of the supposedly superstitious belief in God, had finally passed away from humanity. In other words, it was a declaration of human mental "liberation" from the "need" of God or religion or morality, etc. (akin to liberation from breathing, I would argue). Nietzsche exhorted that if you want to believe that God doesn't exist, or that Religion Is Dead - which may have been a more accurate though less self-amused way to phrase it - then you would have to conclude a host of consequences which most so-called athiests of his day never really wanted to accept, for instance that the sum total of human "ethics" amounts to will to power. But I can't teach a Nietzsche seminar; I just don't like it when a Christian perspective is presented from a position of evident ignorance regarding the argument at hand. IOW, don't quote "God is dead" without paying some attention to the totality of its background. It will fall of its own weight ultimately, but as Christians we don't do ourselves any favors by attacking it on a superficial level.

/soapbox session.

I guess I forgot to post this in my post's title, but I was being facetious and sarcastic when I said "God is dead." I'm fully aware of the context of Nietzche's argument, but I do appreciate your reminder of what it entails.

libertarian4321
12-25-2008, 06:50 AM
I'm sorry.

I will invite retribution...

But, the rest of the world does not look so kindly upon your soldiers.

I am sure they are fine men.

But...

I'll bet the Aussies didn't share your sentiment when those American soldiers you so despise were dislodging Japanese forces from Australian territory (New Guinea and nearby islands were Australian Territory at the time).

There is nothing wrong with American soldiers- they often do good things, including saving Aussie ass. However, sometimes, our civilian leaders make stupid decision (e.g. Iraq). That doesn't make the American soldiers bad, it just means they were badly led.

cheapseats
12-25-2008, 08:47 AM
There is nothing wrong with American soldiers-

Not with ANY of them? ALL American soldiers are rightly wrapped?

If you think so, then it is YOU who is subscribing to one of the nuttiest conspiracy theories making the circuit.

For an ostensibly free thinker, the strident, blanket, knee-jerkiness of this response combined with your judgmental-laced-with-insult dismissal of even the POSSIBILITY of Barack Obama being a fraud is, in a word, odd.

libertarian4321
12-26-2008, 04:33 PM

If you think so, then it is YOU who is subscribing to one of the nuttiest conspiracy theories making the circuit.

I would think it would be obvious to anyone who wasn't looking to nit pick his way into a pointless fight that I was referring to American soldiers in general, not every single soldier.

asimplegirl
12-26-2008, 07:40 PM
About the OP... next time, we will know better than to trust a guy named after a character in a Harry Potter book. :)

http://www.remus-lupin.net/

BTW, to this point, every man in my family has been a member of our military, dating all the way back to the Revolutionary War. My maiden name literally translates to " to bear arms". Anyone who speaks against our military is taking a direct hit at me, I feel. I proud of these guys! Lets bring them home!:)

My baby brother, the Marine:

http://photos-d.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v271/93/24/707476938/n707476938_733971_6763.jpg

He just made 21, ya'll... and every minute since he was 18, he has been proud to be in our military.

cheapseats
12-27-2008, 10:24 AM
I'll bet the Aussies didn't share your sentiment when those American soldiers you so despise were dislodging Japanese forces from Australian territory (New Guinea and nearby islands were Australian Territory at the time).

There is nothing wrong with American soldiers- they often do good things, including saving Aussie ass. However, sometimes, our civilian leaders make stupid decision (e.g. Iraq). That doesn't make the American soldiers bad, it just means they were badly led.

There is nothing wrong with American soldiers-

For an ostensibly free thinker, the strident, blanket, knee-jerkiness of this response combined with your judgmental-laced-with-insult dismissal of even the POSSIBILITY of Barack Obama being a fraud is, in a word, odd.

I would think it would be obvious to anyone who wasn't looking to nit pick his way into a pointless fight that I was referring to American soldiers in general, not every single soldier.

Didn't sound like that to me AND, since your reply sports the brattiness of a teenager, I'll just go ahead and call you on your bullshit.

You unmistakably DO NOT qualify that you refer to American soldiers in general, acknowledging that we UNMISTAKABLY have some brutes, bullies and sickos in the crop. Your statement was as ridiculous and as self-righteous as a Neocon saying that there is nothing wrong with American Police.

If you are in the habit of presuming what is "obvious" to others, you do yourself and others a disservice. Your statement reads EXACTLY like the we-can-do-no-wrong-and-the-whole-world-should-be-grateful-to-us dogma that has a whopping percentage of the world loathing us.

We are squaring off against the collapse of Western Civilization and Free Market Economy, and you think I have the time or inclination to nitpick with libertarian4321? I feel more than a little confident that libertarian4321 will never amount to a hill of beans in my life.

The American Military does, however, amount to MORE than a hill of beans in my life -- a MOUNTAIN of beans with the deployment of U.S. troops on U.S. soil to quell U.S. citizens. You better HOPE that them's among the soldiers who are Good Guys.

Specificity of language -- saying what you MEAN, rather than the first thing that pops into your head -- is FAR FAR FAR from a pointless battle. Recall Lyin' O saying "Words matter" during the campaign. Roll the tape to hear him as (debatable) President Elect saying, "Now that the campaign is over..." and blah blah blah about becoming more realistic. All the Simpletons and Ostriches who BELIEVED his "Just Campaign Words" are the ones who are expected to be hot and bothered enough by "True Words" that the above-mentioned troops will be patrolling OUR streets instead of Baghdad's.

Saying things, then saying they mean other things is the breeding ground of euphemism and lies.

Less is more.

Small is tall.

Might makes right.

"We are making the world safe for democracy."

Being an American does NOT mean never having to admit that you're wrong.

driller80545
12-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Our soldiers are occupying countries all over the world. They are not blameless. Bring them home and let the rest of the world exist however it chooses to exist. I do have close relatives in the military overseas, and I don't consider them heroes. More like invaders. I believe the idea of world domination to be immoral and I consider the soldiers to be an integral part of the plan. I would like to see them resist as so many did during the Vietnam War.

ifthenwouldi
12-27-2008, 10:50 AM

Not letting this one go unnoticed. Well said.

People, there's nothing noble about fighting in an ignoble war. If there's anywhere on the 'net that should be aware of that, it should be here in Liberty Forest.

asimplegirl
12-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Our soldiers are occupying countries all over the world. They are not blameless. Bring them home and let the rest of the world exist however it chooses to exist. I do have close relatives in the military overseas, and I don't consider them heroes. More like invaders. I believe the idea of world domination to be immoral and I consider the soldiers to be an integral part of the plan. I would like to see them resist as so many did during the Vietnam War.

So, then because someone may have signed up to be in the military...maybe because they wanted to have a decent life that they otherwise would not have been able to achieve- some people are not geniuses or from areas that offer the best living- they are blamed for wars that are fought with or without them? Because some kid decides to be in the military, and is then shipped elsewhere, he is to be blamed?

If they do not get a discharge from the military, which is, by the way, at the discretion of the people ahead of them, they go to prison. While we all sit around and fuss about those in prison, and how they should have done as they were supposed to, and how we have to support the system with our tax dollars, and more crap, you sit and say they are not blameless?

Would you rather them be in prison?

I am sorry, but I take great offense to this. The military means alot to my family, and as I said above, every man in my family all the way down to my little brother is in the military or has been in it, all the way back to the beginning of what many genealogist could find on my family name. Translated, it literally means "bearer of arms", a name given to a slave who fought for Caesar, and defended him. Our military is not to blame for what missions the government may send it on.

I will let my grandfather, the Colonel, know that you believe him to be immoral and that you believe that he is no hero for fighting in Vietnam, WW2, Korea, and being on other missions. That all of those purple hearts and other awards he got, that that life, the best one he could provide for his family with little education living on Pine Ridge Reservation, where the average annual income is lower than $3500 TODAY, and was much lower during the depression, all make him into some second class citizen who is worth nothing to this country.

http://www.socyberty.com/Subcultures/Pine-Ridge-Reservation-Americas-Own-Third-World-Country.144579

Read this article and tell me that signing up for the military for a career to get out, and then getting an education was the wrong thing for him to do. Maybe some of us were not raised to be so spoiled as to think things are just handed to us all...that some of us may even have to do some things we don't even like- maybe that you would consider selling our souls- to have a better life.

Or maybe some of them even believed in the things they were fighting for. Maybe they had enough balls to stand up for what they believed in...and even if you think it is wrong, it is more than I can say for you. An arm chair warrior does little good in a country like ours...standing for anything at all is better than sitting back and fussing, thinking that ticking off a handful of people on a forum is going to make a difference.

You are a true American , Mister. I mean after all, what other country creates people that would call a person that doesn't do their job immoral, but also call a person who does do their job such?

asimplegirl
12-27-2008, 11:04 AM
You know, maybe i shouldn't get so upset... it is merely words from a person I do not know, who may very well be just as cold and heartless as they sound. I apologize for going overboard, but you must understand; some of us are proud of our soldiers, and some of of us would have never made it out there in the world if our families had not been military families.

Just show a little more respect. Especially on a thread made to say how proud we are, please?

Just as my signature says, in the words of Thomas Jefferson:

Those who will not fight for the graves of their ancestors are beyond redemption.

driller80545
12-27-2008, 11:05 AM
I do not see avoidable death and destruction as a viable trade off for an education.
I also don't believe your grandfather would have been confined to a reservation had it not been for the very same troops you defend.

asimplegirl
12-27-2008, 11:26 AM
I do not see avoidable death and destruction as a viable trade off for an education.

I never said he only traded it for an education. He did however, become able to feed himself, and pay bills, at the almost $50 a month he was getting paid when he joined the service. He was able to get to a doctor, to live a decent life.

See, unlike you, I do not blame the people doing their jobs for what their bosses send them to do, when refusing sends them to prison, where we could blame them more, and fuss about supporting them. Instead, I blame the government for making this the only option for some. For making this the job of our troops.

And, without those troops I defend, you'd be under British rule right now...and we see how that is going.

I also don't believe your grandfather would have been confined to a reservation had it not been for the very same troops you defend.
You cannot ALWAYS blame the past. If we all sat around blaming the past instead of moving forward and doing what we should to make better of ourselves, we would be just as those you here on this forum seem to detest so badly. He would have died over 40 years ago, since the mortality rate for men is 47 years old, and when he was alive, he would've been collecting food stamps and government income, uneducated, like 67% of the population there, he would have had no running water or electricity,would have had no decent health care, and would have ran a high risk of having many diseases and dying of malnutrition or hypothermia, not to mention my father or I would have never been born since the infant mortality rate is 300% higher there than the rest of the country...

and guess what?

It would've still been the fault of those people before him. And, yet, it wouldn't have made his life any easier to sit and blame them and not do what he could to leave , would it?

driller80545
12-27-2008, 11:34 AM
I never said he only traded it for an education. He did however, become able to feed himself, and pay bills, at the almost $50 a month he was getting paid when he joined the service. He was able to get to a doctor, to live a decent life.

You cannot ALWAYS blame the past. If we all sat around blaming the past instead of moving forward and doing what we should to make better of ourselves, we would be just as those you here on this forum seem to detest so badly. He would have died over 40 years ago, since the mortality rate for men is 47 years old, and when he was alive, he would've been collecting food stamps and government income, uneducated, like 67% of the population there, he would have had no running water or electricity,would have had no decent health care, and would have ran a high risk of having many diseases and dying of malnutrition or hypothermia, not to mention my father or I would have never been born since the infant mortality rate is 300% higher there than the rest of the country...

and guess what?

It would've still been the fault of those people before him. And, yet, it wouldn't have made his life any easier to sit and blame them and not do what he could to leave , would it?

I am glad that your grandfather was able to achieve a better life for himself and for the rest of you. I respect that.
I become upset when the military becomes the only journey out of poverty. I do not deny the truth of this, but wonder if the energy and resources to make war were not to be better utilized. They are not, but couldn't they be?

asimplegirl
12-27-2008, 11:41 AM
I agree with this opinion... I do not agree with alot of the way military is used as the only way out for some people...and definitely going into wars we should have nothing to do with.

But, as I said, I will not blame the men and women who do what they need to to not be lumps on government money, provide a better life for their families, and are brave enough to do something they may not even agree with for the betterment of them and their families.

But, otherwise, I do agree with you.

klamath
12-27-2008, 03:28 PM

Yes stoploss is explained in the contract but when you are trying to condeme all soldiers for fighting the war you have to realize that many joined before the war started and has been shown to anything but a war to defend the constitution. They did not join to go kill Muslims, but I am sure you will still condeme them because they did not foresee the war in their crystal balls:rolleyes:

Anti Federalist
12-27-2008, 11:22 PM
You know, maybe i shouldn't get so upset... it is merely words from a person I do not know, who may very well be just as cold and heartless as they sound. I apologize for going overboard, but you must understand; some of us are proud of our soldiers, and some of of us would have never made it out there in the world if our families had not been military families.

Just show a little more respect. Especially on a thread made to say how proud we are, please?

Those who will not fight for the graves of their ancestors are beyond redemption.

Is your baby brother, the Marine...is he the guy who's going to show up on my doorstep to confiscate my "assault weapons"? Or maybe enforce a mandatory FEMA "relocation"? You know, like they did in New Orleans? Maybe he'll be a military 'advisor" spotting for Lon Horuichi?

He's going to be somebody's brother...

You see where I'm going with this, right?

Anti Federalist
12-27-2008, 11:24 PM
I agree with this opinion... I do not agree with alot of the way military is used as the only way out for some people...and definitely going into wars we should have nothing to do with.

But, as I said, I will not blame the men and women who do what they need to to not be lumps on government money, provide a better life for their families, and are brave enough to do something they may not even agree with for the betterment of them and their families.

I don't agree with armed robbery, but an armored car heist would sure help out me and my family.

LibertyEagle
12-27-2008, 11:40 PM

To be honest, I find this a little scary and it relates to what AF said. I'm not so sure being willing to do something you don't agree with, is such a great thing. :(

Anti Federalist
12-28-2008, 12:19 AM
To be honest, I find this a little scary and it relates to what AF said. I'm not so sure being willing to do something you don't agree with, is such a great thing. :(

I'm waiting to get the "unpatriotic swine, bet you don't have any family that served" remark thrown at me...

Then I'll pull ol' Uncle Smedley out of my hat.:D

Not bragging on myself you understand, but back in 2000, I turned down a six figure salary from a government maritime job opportunity, just because I couldn't bring myself to accept such a thing.

At the time, I was pulling lobster pots and delivering pizzas.

driller80545
12-28-2008, 12:31 AM
What? You traded the opportunity to be rich for integrity? Character? What were you thinking man?

Anti Federalist
12-28-2008, 12:36 AM
What? You traded the opportunity to be rich for integrity? Character? What were you thinking man?

I make more working for the evil oil companies.:D:D:D

Good to see you around again btw, happy new year to you!

Seriously, no, I couldn't do it, knowing every dollar I made was a tax dollar, extorted from some fellow citizen somewhere.

asimplegirl
12-28-2008, 03:58 AM
Is your baby brother, the Marine...is he the guy who's going to show up on my doorstep to confiscate my "assault weapons"? Or maybe enforce a mandatory FEMA "relocation"? You know, like they did in New Orleans? Maybe he'll be a military 'advisor" spotting for Lon Horuichi?

He's going to be somebody's brother...

You see where I'm going with this, right?

First of all, no. He is a pretty conservative guy, one who believes in the freedom of HIS OWN COUNTRY above all else. He would never do something like THAT.

Secondly, yes I remember NOLA, I live in Louisiana, and it wasn't marines doing such. It was Nagin directed the local police. There are no Marines in a big lump out here, best you could hope for are National Guard. But,it was police...in one city...it was not the federal government.

tremendoustie
12-28-2008, 05:54 AM

I do think most of the blame lies with the leaders and with the people who elect them.

That said, I do think the only right thing for a soldier confronted with an immoral mission to do is to willingly go to prison, or to go AWOL. In the end, we are each responsible for our own actions -- and although we don't direct the play, we are responsible for our part in it.

Such an act would require great bravery of course. I speak not from a position of superiority, since I have never had to prove my ability to act rightly under such pressure.

I do hope that our soldiers stand up for what they believe is right. I believe a military of men and women whose first commitment is to their God/principles, and secondly to the constitution, and only third to their CO, is a much stronger tool in the defense of our liberty, and one much less vulnerable to abuse, than one for whom those priorities have been to any extent inverted.

Each of us must in the end be responsible for our own actions -- I hope that I will be willing to risk my personal well being in resistance to immorality, if the time comes.

asimplegirl
12-28-2008, 06:03 AM
Very well said...and I am, once again in agreement.

BTW, Love the quote by you in your sig.... very smart person you seem to be.

Anti Federalist
12-28-2008, 12:33 PM
First of all, no. He is a pretty conservative guy, one who believes in the freedom of HIS OWN COUNTRY above all else. He would never do something like THAT.

Secondly, yes I remember NOLA, I live in Louisiana, and it wasn't marines doing such. It was Nagin directed the local police. There are no Marines in a big lump out here, best you could hope for are National Guard. But,it was police...in one city...it was not the federal government.

Well, I'm glad to hear that he would answer no to Question 46.

asimplegirl
12-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Firstly, it should be noted that questin 46 deals not with running around taking guns from citizens who are law abiding for no reason...it involves a hypothetical scenario that states that if there were a ban on all nonsport weapons and the grace period had passed and someone had a nonsporting gun would they be willing to shoot
that person?

"The US government declares a ban on the possession, sale, transportation, and transfer of all non-sporting firearms. A thirty (30) day amnesty period is permitted for these firearms to be turned over to the local authorities. At the end of this period, a number of citizen groups refuse to turn over their firearms. Consider the following statement: I would fire upon US citizens who refuse or resist confiscation of firearms banned by the US government."

Now, that does not make it right, BUT if there were a ban, then they would be law breakers, and would be subject to punishment, and would be seen as a threat to them.

Now, that being said, my brother would be one of the ones getting shot at as well as the rest of my family.

(oh yeah, by 2006 61% marines had answered no to this question)

Anti Federalist
12-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Firstly, it should be noted that questin 46 deals not with running around taking guns from citizens who are law abiding for no reason...it involves a hypothetical scenario that states that if there were a ban on all nonsport weapons and the grace period had passed and someone had a nonsporting gun would they be willing to shoot

Now, that does not make it right, BUT if there were a ban, then they would be law breakers, and would be subject to punishment, and would be seen as a threat to them.

Now, that being said, my brother would be one of the ones getting shot at as well as the rest of my family.

That is why this question is so disturbing, even more disturbing than the 39 percent who answered in the affirmative.

The law usually has little to do with rights.

The question could just as easily be: Would you remove people from their homes who refused to comply with government relocation orders?

But again, I'm glad to see your brother has his head screwed on straight, and will refuse to enforce such an order.

asimplegirl
12-28-2008, 01:03 PM
LOL>weren't you listening? Ourfamily name literally translates to "to bear arms"... It'd be more than slightly ironic.

Zippyjuan
12-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Your last name is Rollupsleeves? :D
Sorry, that would be the right to "Bare arms" not "Bear arms".

asimplegirl
12-28-2008, 01:41 PM
LOL...crazy butt.

No, my family name was Taliaferro. Google it.

tremendoustie
12-28-2008, 01:45 PM

Of course they would be made illegal first. It is for "no reason", except that a law had been made. Of course a law would be made before the troops would be sent around enforcing it.

I am glad 61% said they would not, that is somewhat encouraging. I wager that's far better than the general public would score.

I would not say lawbreakers should necessarily be subject to punishment. It depends what that law is. Punishing people for disobeying laws which abuse and violate their rights is wrong. I mean, in Nazi Germany, they passed laws legalizing their atrocities, and criminalizing many good ones.

I do not think law carries moral weight, just because it is law.

klamath
12-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Of course they would be made illegal first. It is for "no reason", except that a law had been made. Of course a law would be made before the troops would be sent around enforcing it.

I am glad 61% said they would not, that is somewhat encouraging.

I would not say lawbreakers should necessarily be subject to punishment. It depends what that law is. Punishing people for disobeying laws which abuse and violate their rights is wrong. I mean, in Nazi Germany, they passed laws legalizing their atrocities, and criminalizing many good ones.

I do not think law carries moral weight, just because it is law.

I can tell you that more than 61% of Guard and Reserve would not confuscate arms. This is mainly because Guard and reserve troops are older, have families, houses and a gun stash. If 61% of a unit will not follow the order, There is absolutely no way the government could carry through with an order to confuscate firearms from the American people using the military.

asimplegirl
12-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Well, the guard would not be subject to it anyway, would they?? I thought that was just a state wide thing.... the FEDERAL troops would follow the federal orders right?

klamath
12-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Well, the guard would not be subject to it anyway, would they?? I thought that was just a state wide thing.... the FEDERAL troops would follow the federal orders right?
The guard is federalized all the time for federal missions.
I once had a Guard general tell my old unit that part of the Guards mission was to be a deterent to federal troops, a check so to speak. The majority of all military people I know if nothing else, are very very pro Second Amendent and always are vigilent for laws to ban guns.

asimplegirl
12-28-2008, 02:17 PM
oh, okay... dh's ex's brother is in National Guard here, and he and his entire family are gun grabbers..then again the stepdad is a crooked cop, who feels no one but cops should have guns.

Scofield
12-28-2008, 02:28 PM

Just so you know, that quote is from Theodore Roosevelt, not Jefferson. Just want to clarify that.

asimplegirl
12-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Oh, I found it on a Thomas Jefferson quotes page. Thanks for the fix.

klamath
12-28-2008, 02:41 PM
oh, okay... dh's ex's brother is in National Guard here, and he and his entire family are gun grabbers..then again the stepdad is a crooked cop, who feels no one but cops should have guns.

For sure there are people that believe that way in all the armed services but not the majority.
Have your brother do a simple poll in his marine unit on how they believe.

asimplegirl
12-28-2008, 02:58 PM
oh god, he is in north carolina, i assume from the way the election turned out that i know already, :)