PDA

View Full Version : What are the demographics of RP's district?

furface
05-11-2007, 05:28 PM
I'm curious. I'm from California, and when I think of Texas, I think of the Bible belt and Tom Delay. He seems decidedly against the popular Christian Fundamentalist notion of spreading the American faith around the world. His district seems to like him? What are some of the reasons?

n664dc
05-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Man, I personally dunno... But bless them for keeping him in office.

MsDoodahs
05-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Perhaps the same reasons you're attracted to Dr. Paul? :)

He presents a common sense message.

He isn't phoney.

He isn't owned by big corporations.

He is a man of integrity.

You may not agree with his position on every issue, but you know he isn't the slick liar type, willing to lie right to your face about where he stands on some issue, just to get your vote.

He doesn't "flip flop." I think that's because of his belief system and the way he applies that belief system to the various issues.

This is NOT what we are accustomed to in politics in the US.

Fr. Bruce
05-11-2007, 08:52 PM
if i remember correctly.. Dr. Paul's area has quite a lot of farms on the outskirts. The interesting thing is that he voted against farm subsidies and his constituents STILL voted him back in. Why you may ask?? He sat them down and explained how subsidies really worked and had shown them that the subsidies were not in their best interest.

Farm subsidies, if i remember correctly, also go towards the big corporate farms. What help do they need, i mean come on!?

After explaining this to the local non-corporate farmers they decided that subsidies would not be in their favor because they also line the pockets on corporations.

that's as best as i can remember.. try not to flame me for inconsistencies. :)

metta,
fr. b.

meowmixeater
12-01-2007, 11:16 PM
=)

Paulitician
12-01-2007, 11:19 PM
You must feel proud...

austin356
12-01-2007, 11:34 PM
It is a coastal district. Beach Homes. Far out suburbs. Small towns. Farms. Rich, Poor, Middle class. Pretty darn conservative, but with a "hometown" flar rather than the neoconed suburbs of other places.

It is not the Texas you might imagine, but it certainly is not opposite of what you might imagine.

constituent
12-02-2007, 06:19 AM
"leave me the hell alone libertarians" every last one of us, black, brown, white, it doesn't matter.

no one refers to themselves as "libertarians," but the "leave me the hell alone" part we all agree on.

lots of families who, like mine, came to texas straight from germany, some straight from spain. you have some folks whose ancestors came from america... you'll recognize them almost immediately as "rednecks" and "honkies."

we've had a recent (enormous) influx of population both from NOLA and mississippi that is kind of shaking things up a little bit, but all of that is leveling out with time.

most folks i know are very "conservative" in terms of government but are as socially "liberal" as anyone you'll meet in frisco or elsewhere.

great place, i love it... my family has been here for nearly 200 yrs. now. Where I live is only about 14 miles from the town they originally founded.

it just doesn't get better than texas, and thats a fact of life, one of those inescapable realities of nature.... truly we live in God's country (i think it was once the garden of eden, but that's for another day and parts a little from "christianity")