PDA

View Full Version : Good Idea, Bad Idea, or just plain Unlikely

C_J_Burns
11-13-2011, 09:59 PM
I know the gears are turning in the heads of every Paul supporter here... Well I also have a bright idea and maybe it'll get lost amid the sea hundreds of other peoples ideas... or shot down. But whatever the case at least it'll calm my mind knowing I shared it somewhere. This just came to me as I was scrolling down the different threads..

So here it is: Michelle Bachmann vs. Ron Paul ( 3-4 Lincoln / Douglas style debates throughout the early voting states )

1. Maintain a town-hall feeling NOT to be nationally televised
2. It doesn't necessarily have to be Bachmann.. Any candidate who could bring in (1) their own supporters or (2) curious likely voters will do..
3. Something tells me that Ron Paul is often up there having events and preaching to the choir... I think this will give his message better access.
4. I don't foresee any candidate who has polled higher than Paul agreeing this and also I don't think a Paul v Huntsman headline would draw anyone. This leaves some combination of Paul, Santorum, Bachmann, and (maybe) Gingrich... Perry wouldn't do it (I don't think)

So.. does anyone seem any value to this?

rutgerscamdenYAL
11-13-2011, 10:04 PM
To whatever candidate that would be willing to debate Ron 1:1, God bless you.

ShaneEnochs
11-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Romney won't do it. Perry won't do it. Cain might be stupid enough to do it. Gingrich would definitely be arrogant enough, Santorum might, and after the last debate, I'm sure she's itching to get to respond more to Paul.

satchelmcqueen
11-13-2011, 10:21 PM
i think paul needs to publicly challenge cain, romney and gingrich to a 1 on 1 debate or just a paul vs the "top tier" according to the msm. make them turn him down. the campaign needs to push this imo!

GunnyFreedom
11-13-2011, 10:24 PM
i think paul needs to publicly challenge cain, romney and gingrich to a 1 on 1 debate or just a paul vs the "top tier" according to the msm. make them turn him down. the campaign needs to push this imo!

This. Bachmann would be "punching down" and ineffective if not counterproductive. Like the idea, but always focus up, never focus down.

Eric21ND
11-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Ron shouldn't debate someone below him in the polls.

C_J_Burns
11-13-2011, 10:51 PM
I agree.. No One wants to punch down, however Ron Paul has a bit more liberty than others in that regard since his support doesn't particularly go anywhere. So would a 'top-tier' candidate vs. Ron Paul vs. 'lower tier' candidate match-up possibly change this?

Top tier being - Romney or Gringrich or Cain
Lower tier being - Bachmann or Santorum (or neither)

The reason I initially singled out Bachmann is b/c her camp as well as ours complained about the CBS debate. Huntsman and Santorum did their normal grumbling about the debates. Newt is (seemingly) anti media anyways, so I think the idea is feasible but hard to escape the punching down aspect.

No Free Beer
11-13-2011, 10:56 PM
why? never shoot down. now, if you said mitt or gingrich...i would say okay

VanBummel
11-13-2011, 11:13 PM
I really like the idea of Ron debating people 1v1, but would anyone accept? If they want to be taken out that badly they should just challenge Dr. Paul to a back alley brawl...at least it would be quicker.
http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Uploads/Graphics/192-0128100015-RonPaulBaseballBat.jpg
And more people would watch it on TV. :D

phillies
11-13-2011, 11:26 PM
This is a good idea..If Perry Cain or Romney not accept to a 1v1 challenge then Ron Paul can use that to his advantage

GunnyFreedom
11-13-2011, 11:35 PM
I agree.. No One wants to punch down, however Ron Paul has a bit more liberty than others in that regard since his support doesn't particularly go anywhere. So would a 'top-tier' candidate vs. Ron Paul vs. 'lower tier' candidate match-up possibly change this?

Top tier being - Romney or Gringrich or Cain
Lower tier being - Bachmann or Santorum (or neither)

The reason I initially singled out Bachmann is b/c her camp as well as ours complained about the CBS debate. Huntsman and Santorum did their normal grumbling about the debates. Newt is (seemingly) anti media anyways, so I think the idea is feasible but hard to escape the punching down aspect.

It's not about losing your own support, it's about potentials. Punching down makes you look like a bully, can provide fodder to turn off people who are not yet supporters, and provides near zero upside. It's like physics. Pss downwind not upwind. Punch up, not down.

Maximus
11-13-2011, 11:39 PM
Challenge Gingrich to one of his Lincoln-Douglass debates

GunnyFreedom
11-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Challenge Gingrich to one of his Lincoln-Douglass debates

Douglas. With one "s." Please do not conflate Stephen Douglas with Frederick Douglass.