PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul should do what Ron Paul thinks is best.

MelissaWV
11-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Yes, another thread. It will get buried rather quickly, no doubt, but at least the headline will go out there.

The titles of these threads get tweeted and sent out there into the ether, and anyone would think that Ron's own supporters are the ones most vocally against him. Ron should have walked out. Ron's supporters should have done more. Ron should have worn a better suit. Ron should have walked over to Newt, gotten in his face, and "schooled" him. Are these things that you think would actually help Ron with GOP primary voters, and with the general public? Or are they things that would make YOU feel better?

It's amazing to me, reading these posts. People are saying that supporters there at the debate should have done more, but Ron was the first one to get applause during the introductions. He got a lot of applause for his few answers. People want Ron to walk off stage in a huff, but it would make him look like a whining old kook, and he would have been absent when Bachmann made her accusations. They're saying Ron should have gotten more time to speak, but are themselves ignoring what Ron says, and the sort of man he is.

Let's look at some facts:

No one applauded for any candidate during the introduction... until they got to Ron. Ron got the welcome one might expect for a teen idol or a much-lauded band, not a politician. Others got applause after that, but Ron's set the tone. People noticed.

Ron got 90 seconds during the part that aired on the east coast. It aired during primetime on a major network, which means it likely got more eyeballs than your average Fox/CSPAN/CNN/MSNBC debate. Those I've spoken to noticed IMMEDIATELY that Ron got almost no time to speak. They also noticed that he didn't try to butt in like some of the other candidates, or bully the moderators. They noticed he gave his responss quickly, and often beginning with a simple "yes" or "no." That's what happens when you actually believe in your answers.

Ron got to respond to two questions, and he knocked them out of the park. The question from the veteran even said he believed all torture was wrong. The rest tapdanced around the issue, but ultimately said that waterboarding wasn't torture, and that "enhanced interrogation" was okay. It came across as hollow to all but the biggest hawks, imo. Ron also added the word "immoral" which is vital. Torture IS immoral, in addition to being illegal. Think about that, audience. Immoral. You are cheering on an immoral act. You are cheering on the killing of a teen citizen overseas. You are cheering on the burning and zapping and cutting and waterboarding of people who might be innocent, and without any proof that it will yield anything but terrified screams. Immoral. Well-done, Ron!

Ron's responses during the last 30 minutes were blazing. Bachmann tried her best to throw him under the bus, but damn, not so fast. Ron immediately pointed out the fact that he wanted to go after Bin Laden years ago and was only angry it was not done sooner. This is what has been absent to a great extent from other answers. Ron does not simply want to stay at home and shutter the windows and bolt the doors. We've all known this, but it was succinctly expressed last night.

Just after the event, MSM stories mentioned Ron... mostly in conjunction with his answer about torture being immoral and illegal. This is the big to-do. The others looked downright evil. Cain said he would do whatever his advisors said. While some say Cain is surviving, I think this really was such a flat performance that he will shed some votes. Perry's "start at $0" has been ripped to shreds because he then followed up saying that Israel was a special ally. I did not catch all of the Sunday political shows, and am sure they will not focus on Ron, but the issue seems to be that everyone else is an idiot.

So, yes, Ron got almost no questions compared to the "main" candidates, but those candidates used the time to shoot themselves in the foot. Ron's time was well-spent, and did some good.

Instead of whining about what you think Ron should have done, even if it cost him the campaign, to stroke your ego... perhaps you could be getting him some votes, some interest, some donations, and some positive press. Let Ron Paul do what Ron Paul thinks is best. He has the most at stake here out of any of us. Not only is he running for president, but he has family that will be suffering the consequences of a loss for generations to come (I can only imagine how that weighs on him). He has put himself out there yet again, to be called a kook, a crazy, an isolationist, a racist, and a generally old and feeble guy. He is on the road all the time, and soldiering through a collection of days with the sniffles, and he conducts interview after interview with grace and a smile even as they heap insults on him or twist his positions. He is a gentleman. He is not here to bodyslam the opposition with mud and finger-pointing. He will do what he thinks is best. The rest of us can agree, choose to forgive it if we disagree, or move on to something better (and if you find it, please let us know, because I really don't see anyone better out there AT ALL).

My $0.02 :)

Miss Annie
11-13-2011, 12:51 PM
I completely agree! Ron Paul needs to be and do what Ron Paul thinks is best,... and we need to do what Ron Paul thinks is best. We are his supporters, not his directors or dictators! I think if we can trust him to be the President of this country, we can trust him to know how to handle himself in the debates. :)

IterTemporis
11-13-2011, 12:52 PM
You always make such nice posts (:.

I agree. Not only that, but the whole 'speaking up at debates'. Look at how Bachmann is/was perceived for trying to interject.

frag4yourlife
11-13-2011, 12:52 PM
bump

LibertyEagle
11-13-2011, 12:53 PM
You are right, once again. Thanks, Melissa.

+rep

specsaregood
11-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Quite a deal, I say.

Sola_Fide
The moderating influence of estrogen?

Travlyr
I approve of this message. Nice write-up!

I wonder why all the people who whine and cry about Ron's performance are not themselves in the debate? If they have all the right answers, then the stage should be theirs.

IterTemporis
11-13-2011, 12:59 PM
The moderating influence of estrogen?

Notice how in the debate threads that many of the guys here get pissed off, but the women stay quiet q:.

Feeding the Abscess
11-13-2011, 01:03 PM
You always make such nice posts (:.

I agree. Not only that, but the whole 'speaking up at debates'. Look at how Bachmann is/was perceived for trying to interject.

AndersonAndersonAndersonAndersonAndersonAndersonAn dersonAndersonAndersonAndersonAndersonAndersonAnde rsonAndersonAndersonAndersonAndersonAnderson

bluesc
11-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Oh people get heated up after a debate as awful and biased as that, and they do the wrong thing in the moment. I created a thread telling people to donate or make calls for the campaign instead of bitching, it was ignored. I later got caught up in the bitching briefly myself.

We need more people creating threads like this when the bitching is at its height, to direct frustration the right way. Mods also need to be more willing to merge all bitching threads, so that the productive and often ignored threads remain visible.

I used the frustration and the frustration of a very recent Dem convert to grab 5 more votes for Ron.

chudrockz
11-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Unbury bump and big +Rep! Powerful.

Anti Federalist
11-13-2011, 01:16 PM
People want Ron to walk off stage in a huff, but it would make him look like a whining old kook

I disagree with the idea that would have been the result.

But of course, Ron will be Ron, and no one can take away from the fact that he is a gentleman.

As someone who has never, and never will, win any sort of political campaign, as always, I must defer to his judgment on these matters.

That said, I still maintain that he should, if treated the same way again, walk off that stage.

MelissaWV
Oh people get heated up after a debate as awful and biased as that, and they do the wrong thing in the moment. I created a thread telling people to donate or make calls for the campaign instead of bitching, it was ignored. I later got caught up in the bitching briefly myself.

We need more people creating threads like this when the bitching is at its height, to direct frustration the right way. Mods also need to be more willing to merge all bitching threads, so that the productive and often ignored threads remain visible.

I used the frustration and the frustration of a very recent Dem convert to grab 5 more votes for Ron.

+rep for this, despite our past skirmishes.

This is a vote-getting opportunity.

sailingaway
I agree with Ron doing what he thinks is best.

MelissaWV
11-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Shameless bump since ZanziBar is spamming all the negative threads and bumping them up ahead of anything even remotely positive...

amy31416
11-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Shameless bump since ZanziBar is spamming all the negative threads and bumping them up ahead of anything even remotely positive...

Shocking behavior on his part...shocking.

asurfaholic
11-13-2011, 01:36 PM
I agree, thanks for the reminder!

Ron knows what he's doing.

vechorik
11-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Here! Here!

Ekrub
11-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Skimmed through, but I agree

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
11-13-2011, 02:00 PM
+rep to you for typing what was in my head.

McDermit
11-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Meh. If you are giving your money and time to a campaign, you should be allowed to voice an opinion. Some of the "Ron should XYZ" posts here include horrible ideas, but some are valid concerns and constructive suggestions.

And to an extent, the campaign DOES listen to our input. Just yesterday, that stupid "Perry tries to hire Ron" article was removed from the site after a phpne call and an email linking to a complaint thread on here. And Ron's debate responses seem to indicate he's picked up on some grassroots suggestions as well.

11-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Another important point is no negative msm articles about his debate performance. If anything, the msm articles I read seemed to have the tone that the others were extremist and Ron wasn't.

freeforall
11-13-2011, 04:23 PM
+rep Very nice.

nayjevin
11-13-2011, 05:31 PM
+rep

Revolution9
11-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Yes, another thread. It will get buried rather quickly, no doubt, but at least the headline will go out there.
<snipped for brevity>

That was a silver dollars worth actually.

Rev9

nayjevin
11-13-2011, 06:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOoF0lKqPU0&feature=youtu.be

constitutionstory
11-13-2011, 06:14 PM
This is a great thread, posting so more people will see it.

DinahWest
11-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Perfection Melissa!

Thank You so much for saying this!

Birdlady
11-13-2011, 06:53 PM
I agree walking off the stage would be a bad idea. It would drive a nail through the coffin because the Republican party would rally against RP.

I think RP did amazing in this debate. I don't know how he kept his cool. That takes more restraint and discipline than I have for sure... lol

However as far as the cheers go, I will just say again that RP supporters are more likely to be vocal in the crowd. Doesn't mean we are the majority. 5-10 RP supporters likely cheer louder than 30-50 Cain supporters. RP supporters are not afraid to bend the rules slightly by cheering for him even if the moderators say not to. I know in other debates the moderator will say "please hold your cheers", yet RP supporters still cheer. I think the cheering actually ticks people off at times to be honest.

An open exchange of ideas/thoughts and suggestions are necessary though. Optimism is preferred of course, but if you try to stifle all negativity or criticisms, a sense of unrest and resentment will grow towards the campaign and each other. A fine balance between the two is essential.

klamath
11-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Generally I agree Mal. The only thing I would like to point out is like all leaders the buck stops at RP. He has to make the final decision and take responsibily alone for it. Being the leader of the most powerful nation on earth is a very heavy job. RP as president is going to be setting a the head of a table in the white house and he is going to be hearing some of the most serious debate about life and death actions in his life between the members of his cabinet. He is GOING to have to listen to every bit of the input and then president Paul will do what he thinks is the best decision. Without a doubt RP is sorting through many opinions now and from his 89 second performance he made some awsome decisions on how to answer! I think some of those answers he based his wording on the input from his roudy grassroots cabinet.:)

No Free Beer
11-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Well put.

Original_Intent
11-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Hasn't Ron always lived to be the "one good man" spoken of by Niccolo Machiavelli?

A return to first principles in a republic is sometimes caused by the simple virtues of one man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example.
- Niccolo Machiavelli

justatrey
11-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Couldn't agree more! Nice post.

Ekrub
11-13-2011, 09:10 PM
The more I've thought about it, I'm actually happy that Ron didn't get many questions during the debate that focuses on the policies that your typical GOP voter doesn't like about him.

J_White
11-13-2011, 11:02 PM
bump !