PDA

View Full Version : I'm puzzled by some of the comments on the cnn blog

Joey Wahoo
11-06-2007, 02:53 PM
The piece describes Dr. Paul as being anti-abortion, and several RP supporters blast them as "liars" for saying it.

Given RP's consistent anti-abortion positions, this really makes us look uninformed.

RP believes that the states have the right to decide their own laws on abortion, absent a constitutional amendment abolishing it, but he has introduced the legislation himself to obtain such an amendment. He has sponsored legislation this year for a law declaring that life begins at conception, for example. We have slim-jims now on this very issue, and RP has emphasized it in Iowa and at the values debates.

We need to be a little less strident in how we come off on this issue, imho.

ARealConservative
11-06-2007, 03:01 PM
The piece describes Dr. Paul as being anti-abortion, and several RP supporters blast them as "liars" for saying it.

Given RP's consistent anti-abortion positions, this really makes us look uninformed.

RP believes that the states have the right to decide their own laws on abortion, absent a constitutional amendment abolishing it, but he has introduced the legislation himself to obtain such an amendment. He has sponsored legislation this year for a law declaring that life begins at conception, for example. We have slim-jims now on this very issue, and RP has emphasized it in Iowa and at the values debates.

We need to be a little less strident in how we come off on this issue, imho.

you yourself our exxagerating his position though.

Yes, he did vote for a law defining life at conception, but he has explained many times he didn't really like that solution but is looking at anything to fix the horribly wrong Roe v Wade SCOTUS decision.

Joey Wahoo
11-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Voted for it? He WROTE it:

Sanctity of Life Act of 2007 (Introduced in House)

HR 1094 IH

110th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 1094
To provide that human life shall be deemed to exist from conception.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

February 15, 2007
Mr. PAUL (for himself, Mr. GARRETT of New Jersey, and Mr. BARTLETT of Maryland) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To provide that human life shall be deemed to exist from conception.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Sanctity of Life Act of 2007'.

SEC. 2. FINDING AND DECLARATION.

(a) Finding- The Congress finds that present day scientific evidence indicates a significant likelihood that actual human life exists from conception.

(b) Declaration- Upon the basis of this finding, and in the exercise of the powers of the Congress--

(1) the Congress declares that--

(A) human life shall be deemed to exist from conception, without regard to race, sex, age, health, defect, or condition of dependency; and

(B) the term `person' shall include all human life as defined in subparagraph (A); and

(2) the Congress recognizes that each State has the authority to protect lives of unborn children residing in the jurisdiction of that State.

SEC. 3. LIMITATION ON APPELLATE JURISDICTION.

(a) In General- Chapter 81 of title 28, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new section:

`Sec. 1260. Appellate jurisdiction; limitation

`Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 1253, 1254, and 1257, the Supreme Court shall not have jurisdiction to review, by appeal, writ of certiorari, or otherwise, any case arising out of any statute, ordinance, rule, regulation, practice, or any part thereof, or arising out of any act interpreting, applying, enforcing, or effecting any statute, ordinance, rule, regulation, or practice, on the grounds that such statute, ordinance, rule, regulation, practice, act, or part thereof--

`(1) protects the rights of human persons between conception and birth; or

`(2) prohibits, limits, or regulates--

`(A) the performance of abortions; or

`(B) the provision of public expense of funds, facilities, personnel, or other assistance for the performance of abortions.'.

(b) Conforming Amendment- The table of sections at the beginning of chapter 81 of title 28, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new item:

`1260. Appellate jurisdiction; limitation.'.

SEC. 4. LIMITATION ON DISTRICT COURT JURISDICTION.

(a) In General- Chapter 85 of title 28, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new section:

`Sec. 1370. Limitation on jurisdiction

`Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the district courts shall not have jurisdiction of any case or question which the Supreme Court does not have jurisdiction to review under section 1260 of this title.'.

(b) Conforming Amendment- The table of sections at the beginning of chapter 85 of title 28, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new item:

`1370. Limitation on jurisdiction.'.

SEC. 5. EFFECTIVE DATE.

The provisions of this Act shall take effect on the date of the enactment of this Act, and shall apply to any case pending on such date of enactment.

SEC. 6. SEVERABILITY.

If any provision of this Act or the amendments made by this Act, or the application of this Act or such amendments to any person or circumstance is determined by a court to be invalid, the validity of the remainder of this Act and the amendments made by this Act and the application of such provision to other persons and circumstances shall not be affected by such determination.

MyKillK
11-06-2007, 03:09 PM
I believe RP's official stance is anti-abortion, he has stated he wants to overturn Roe v Wade

BUT

The most interesting part of his stance, which people often get wrong is that he wouldn't make abortion federally illegal. He would not replace Roe v Wade with its opposite. He wants to get rid of Roe v Wade so states and local communities can decide the abortion issue on their own.

Joey Wahoo
11-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Well this is on the campaign webpage:

The right of an innocent, unborn child to life is at the heart of the American ideals of liberty. My professional and legislative record demonstrates my strong commitment to this pro-life principle.

In 40 years of medical practice, I never once considered performing an abortion, nor did I ever find abortion necessary to save the life of a pregnant woman.

In Congress, I have authored legislation that seeks to define life as beginning at conception, HR 1094.

I am also the prime sponsor of HR 300, which would negate the effect of Roe v Wade by removing the ability of federal courts to interfere with state legislation to protect life. This is a practical, direct approach to ending federal court tyranny which threatens our constitutional republic and has caused the deaths of 45 million of the unborn.

I have also authored HR 1095, which prevents federal funds to be used for so-called “population control.”

Many talk about being pro-life. I have taken direct action to restore protection for the unborn.

As an OB/GYN doctor, I’ve delivered over 4,000 babies. That experience has made me an unshakable foe of abortion. Many of you may have read my book, Challenge To Liberty, which champions the idea that there cannot be liberty in a society unless the rights of all innocents are protected. Much can be understood about the civility of a society in observing its regard for the dignity of human life.

KewlRonduderules
11-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Abortion is not specified in the U.S. Constitution. Therefore, any laws pertaining to abortion are delegated to each state.