PDA

View Full Version : Challenge: Name a Democrat bill that supports a natural right / limits government

rambone
11-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Help me out here. I'm debating a friend about the Two-Party system. He is totally and completely swept up with the Republican Party -- whereas I am an Independent who floats around and supports the best candidate. I'm making the argument that both parties have their strengths and their weaknesses.

He's challenged me to name a bill that "Democrats" have put forth that advances a natural right, and limits government.

I can think of several that Republicans have initiated, or helped to pass. Please tell me one the Democrats have passed, or attempted to pass. Something that advanced a natural right. Property, speech, something that wasn't an expansion of government power. Something that limited government power.

Help me speed up my research. I'm thinking that there must be something in the category of anti-prohibition, privacy, or something of that nature.

A state-level bill would be sufficient as well.

What have ya got?? Thanks!

Give me specifics and a link, if possible.

moderate libertarian
11-12-2011, 10:34 PM
This on foreign spending:

Democrats pass “anti-war” bill that funds the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan
24th March 2007 | Political News

http://rinf.com/alt-news/politics/democrats-pass-anti-war-bill-that-funds-the-wars-in-iraq-and-afghanistan/7/

But on second thought, this does not measure up to condition you set and won't count.

Cutlerzzz
11-12-2011, 10:39 PM
I know that Grover Cleveland did what he could to lower taxes. Not much since then.

rambone
11-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Keep thinking guys. Thanks for the help.

MaxPower
11-13-2011, 12:56 AM
Kucinich has introduced some good pro-civil-liberties legislation that limits government and protects natural rights; his record should be a good place to look..

BuddyRey
11-13-2011, 12:59 AM
I don't know if this counts or not, but how about the bill Barney Frank cosponsored with Ron Paul to decriminalize marijuana?

11-13-2011, 01:20 AM
Dennis Kucinich
HR 6010, 111th Congress, to prohibit the extrajudicial killing of United States citizens (http://www.thepoliticalguide.com/bill_info.php?chamber=house&session=111&bill=H%20R%206010)

Bernie Sanders
HR 1157, 109th Congress, to exempt bookstores and libraries from providing information for foreign intelligence investigations (http://www.thepoliticalguide.com/bill_info.php?chamber=house&session=109&bill=H%20R%201157)

oyarde
11-14-2011, 11:08 AM
LOL , Bernie must have been worried someone would disapprove of all that marxist matl.

acptulsa
11-14-2011, 11:17 AM
I think that your friend has you in a box. Unless and until you find a Kucinich or a Paul, there really isn't enough difference between the Republicrats and the Demopublicans to spit at.

oyarde
11-14-2011, 11:25 AM
I think that your friend has you in a box. Unless and until you find a Kucinich or a Paul, there really isn't enough difference between the Republicrats and the Demopublicans to spit at. Pretty much , because most legislation takes away liberties . Pubs , "homeland security" type stuff , dems , everything else ....

SL89
11-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Are we limited to bills put forward and passed at the Federal level or will State level answer do? I can think of a few here in Montana. :D

KAYA
11-14-2011, 11:53 AM
How about the Federal Reserve Act, the Social Security Ponzi Scheme Act, Great Society programs the new Affordable Health Care for America Act, etc... Oh wait, you asked for Democrat legislation the advances natural rights and limits government. Oh nevermind, you're screwed. Your friend wins that argument.

You may as well be asking for the examples of vegetarian hyenas.