PDA

View Full Version : Know Your Enemy: Lee Atwater's Politics

dusman
11-12-2011, 01:35 PM
So, taking the advice of someone from this forum to research into past presidential campaigns and what made them successful, I ran across this gem of a documentary called "Boogie Man: The Lee Atwater Story".

I highly recommend you watch this. It is on NetFlix.

Lee Atwater helped Reagan secure the nomination and was H.W. Bush's campaign manager. Karl Rove is a protege of Atwater and after watching this documentary, the tactics that are being used against us right now are all but easy to identify. Lee was the quintessential man of dirty politics.

He is largely responsible for the successful Republican campaigns of Reagan, Bush Sr. and Bush Jr. His strategies single-handedly destroyed Bob Dole's run against Reagan and Dukakis's run against Bush Sr. The parallels of the history explained in this documentary to what is going on with Ron Paul in the Republican Party is extremely eye opening.

After watching this, I can't help but get the feeling we need to play much dirtier as a grassroots campaign, using their tactics against them to a degree. Not with lies and scandel, but with cold hard truth where it truly hurts. Heading into the primaries, I would hate to see these very tactics used against Ron Paul and if he is successful in taking Iowa, this is a forewarning what will come.

RIPLEYMOM
11-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Yes, Dusman! We need to target our enemy not doing it with scandal, but by educating with historic facts; ads that teach what the enemy is doing right now and why. Not whiny, but professionally made ads demanding credibility. Identify the enemy; attack them directly; get out! Awesome, awesome work!

I can't wait to watch this documentary, thanks!

revgen
11-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Ron is already combating these tactics by not endorsing them.

When he was asked about whether Cain's allegations were important, he said that they were not and that we should focus on Cain's support for the Federal Reserve and the TARP funds.

When asked if Perry was a crony capitalist (he is), he replied that he isn't sure.

Ron keeps on making it about the issues and not about the extracurricular activities of the other candidates.

The whole point of Atwater's scheme (and Rove's) is to make it about anything else except the issues at hand.