PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Antidumping Rules Kill American Jobs

Wesker1982
11-12-2011, 12:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD9vK5bCS7I&feature=player_embedded

Becker
11-12-2011, 01:33 PM
you act like jobs are some sacred thing that's always good to have, always bad to lose.

ShaneEnochs
11-12-2011, 03:38 PM
you act like jobs are some sacred thing that's always good to have, always bad to lose.

A job is a bad thing to have?

specsaregood
11-12-2011, 03:59 PM
A job is a bad thing to have?

he didn't say that.

Wesker1982
11-12-2011, 05:34 PM

Economics is value free.

Becker
11-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Economics is value free.

economics may be value free, but jobs are not.

Becker
11-12-2011, 05:46 PM
he didn't say that.

correct, thanks. I never said jobs are bad to have, I just said jobs are not always good to have, and bad to lose. I am honest enough to admit some people don't deserve jobs, and some jobs don't deserve to exist. Contrary to the belief that either all people deserve jobs or only jobs is the legitimate way to live normally.

FlatIron
11-12-2011, 05:53 PM
The video may be right about jobs, but what about the wealth taken from the U.S. because of imports? How do we know China may stop or at least limit trade with us when its imports exceed their exports?

Becker
11-12-2011, 06:07 PM
The video may be right about jobs, but what about the wealth taken from the U.S. because of imports? How do we know China may stop or at least limit trade with us when its imports exceed their exports?

exactly, and you are right in using the word WEALTH, not jobs. Nobody wants jobs, we want wealth, and if we can do it without jobs, we would. Jobs are for people who don't know how else to create wealth.

Gaddafi Duck
11-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Hmm..marginal increase in the number of jobs available in this country, or preserve our aquifers that without would raise the cost of doing business far above what anti-dumping laws do.

I'm not saying our anti-dumping laws are the be-all end-all, and I know someone is going to mention property rights, but if you dump hazardous material even on your property and that leaches miles down to the aquifers, that taints a water source we can't reinvent.

Like it's been said, there are more important things than jobs...like, say, reasonably clean water to live off of.

Fox McCloud
11-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Hmm..marginal increase in the number of jobs available in this country, or preserve our aquifers that without would raise the cost of doing business far above what anti-dumping laws do.

I'm not saying our anti-dumping laws are the be-all end-all, and I know someone is going to mention property rights, but if you dump hazardous material even on your property and that leaches miles down to the aquifers, that taints a water source we can't reinvent.

Like it's been said, there are more important things than jobs...like, say, reasonably clean water to live off of.

.....Did you even listen to the video?

"Dumping" has nothing to do with hazardous waste disposal; it's 100% a trade policy.

In either case, the video is great, and they also make note of the fact it increases wealth, as well, with higher profit margins and lower costs for consumers.

So it's a double win--more jobs and more net wealth.

Becker
11-13-2011, 12:52 PM

exactly, and this is of course assuming, we can live long enough and in the places to utilize the clean water. I appreciate you being able to explain this without using the words "green" "environment".

Diurdi
11-13-2011, 01:34 PM
This is why trade barriers are so dangerous. It's none different from getting big government subsidies.

squarepusher
11-13-2011, 01:44 PM
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/50270_167982817090_6974922_n.jpg

axiomata
11-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Good video. It's amazing how our RPF protectionists are blind to the unintended consequences of the interventions they advocate.

noxagol
11-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Jobs do not create good economy. Good economy creates jobs.

Becker
11-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Good video. It's amazing how our RPF protectionists are blind to the unintended consequences of the interventions they advocate.

I am not blind to it, nor am I against unemployment.

Becker
11-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Jobs do not create good economy. Good economy creates jobs.

I would say good economy creates happiness, even if it doesn't create jobs. Being busy and making money beats being poor and starving, but being rich and lazy beats being rich and hard working.

Wesker1982
11-14-2011, 10:11 AM
It's amazing how our RPF protectionists are blind to the unintended consequences of the interventions they advocate.

Agreed.

FlatIron
11-14-2011, 10:57 AM

Got proof to back your statement? I am still waiting for someone to answer my post from earlier.

Fox McCloud
11-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Got proof to back your statement? I am still waiting for someone to answer my post from earlier.

It's already been covered in the video. Keeping the "jobs in the US" means higher labor costs and higher raw material cost...this means less profits, less R&D, and higher prices for consumers....that means slower innovation and less wealth for the economy on the whole.

They're just taking the "jobs" approach, right now, because most people don't understand the wealth aspect about it.