PDA

View Full Version : Iowa college students

groverblue
11-12-2011, 10:02 AM
I've been reading that many Iowa collage students will not be around to vote for Ron Paul during the caucus. Are there any Iowa Ron Paul supports here who can help clarify the impact this will have? Additionally, what can be done to ensure they remain to vote? Is housing an obstacle? Can local Ron Paul supporters provide room & board to college students during the caucus? What else is an issue?

Forty Twice
11-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Why can't they vote in their home town? Are they bound to vote in Ames or Iowa City because that is where their registration is?

groverblue
11-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Why can't they vote in their home town? Are they bound to vote in Ames or Iowa City because that is where their registration is?

That's what I don't know. I wish someone would clarify it.

11-12-2011, 10:28 AM
There is a grassroots ad campaign in college newspapers to gotv during breaks. It encourages them to vote in their hometown and bring family and friends.

The official campaign has a christmas break with Ron Paul program for students.

Forty Twice
11-12-2011, 10:40 AM
That "bring family and friends" part might help us out in the end.

TexMac
11-12-2011, 10:43 AM
That's what I don't know. I wish someone would clarify it.They can vote in their hometowns if they're from Iowa, the problem is that for GOTV purposes, it's much easier to get them to a caucus if they're in their dorms than if they're scattered all over the state.

11-12-2011, 10:44 AM
That "bring family and friends" part might help us out in the end.

I think it will too. Some others think it would have been easier for supporters to draw friends from campus to the caucus if it took place while school was in session.

parocks
11-12-2011, 02:21 PM
I've been reading that many Iowa collage students will not be around to vote for Ron Paul during the caucus. Are there any Iowa Ron Paul supports here who can help clarify the impact this will have? Additionally, what can be done to ensure they remain to vote? Is housing an obstacle? Can local Ron Paul supporters provide room & board to college students during the caucus? What else is an issue?

Focus on where the students are on January 3. And that's the cities. Des Moines. Not Ames and Iowa City.

18-29 year olds do not have to be registered. They just need proper ID.

So, for 3 days, you hit Des Moines hard with a lot of people. NYE through the caucus. You do whatever you can to find 18-29 males, and bring them to the caucuses.

There should be some program to do this, probably an unofficial, grassroots program. I think we'll find our people in bars.

parocks
11-12-2011, 02:23 PM
I think it will too. Some others think it would have been easier for supporters to draw friends from campus to the caucus if it took place while school was in session.

It would've been much easier. But it's not "bring your friends". It's hundreds of out of state ron paul supporters with bullhorns on campus that we're unable to implement.

parocks
11-12-2011, 02:27 PM
There is a grassroots ad campaign in college newspapers to gotv during breaks. It encourages them to vote in their hometown and bring family and friends.

The official campaign has a christmas break with Ron Paul program for students.

Although I'm just guessing, I would say that Christmas with Ron Paul is just to get helpers for their standard GOTV operation. I could be mistaken, but I would assume that was the case.

We know how standard GOTV works. It typically starts with registered voters. And ends with people calling the registered voters that we've IDd as supporters and offering them rides.

Telling Cyclones to vote somewhere else in a month with a bunch of old people is not ideal.

Finding out where the college students are on caucus day, and moving them from that place, to the caucus is what should happen.

KingRobbStark
11-12-2011, 02:33 PM
we should have a Buddy System. That way they will keep each other focused, and in the game.

parocks
11-12-2011, 02:36 PM
That's what I don't know. I wish someone would clarify it.

They can vote anywhere. They should not be registered in their college town. they might need to change it before hand if they are.

New voter registration is not something we need to worry about.

There is same day new voter registration.

We need to find as many warm bodies, 18-29 males, in Iowa on New Year's Eve (when everyone is in a bar, where you can talk to them) NY day, Jan 2, Jan 3.

First you want to test that they'll still for us with a rp08orbust poll. or not.

parocks
11-13-2011, 08:33 AM
http://www.dmcityview.com/ - this is where your ad dollars go for this project. Des Moines Cityview - the alternative newsweekly. If the 18-29 year olds read anything, it's this.