PDA

View Full Version : Don't worry about Newt!

WIwarrior
11-11-2011, 07:02 PM
It seems alot of people are concerned about Newt's rise in the polls. I just wanted to remind people what he is going to have to deal with if/when his campaign gains traction.

1. Gingrich is the only Speaker of the House to have been disciplined for ethics violations.
2. Had an affair with a staffer 23 years his junior WHILE leading the investigation against Clinton for perjury and obstruction charges.
3. Was facing 84 ethics violations but escaped all but 1 charge by taking a plea bargain on the felony bribery charges.
4. Carried up to $500,000 in debt to the Tiffany jewelry company and up to $50,000 to American Express. (Fiscal conservative ????)

The public just needs to be reminded of what kind of guy he truly is.

Pizzo
11-11-2011, 07:06 PM
It seems alot of people are concerned about Newt's rise in the polls. I just wanted to remind people what he is going to have to deal with if/when his campaign gains traction.

1. Gingrich is the only Speaker of the House to have been disciplined for ethics violations.
2. Had an affair with a staffer 23 years his junior WHILE leading the investigation against Clinton for perjury and obstruction charges.
3. Was facing 84 ethics violations but escaped all but 1 charge by taking a plea bargain on the felony bribery charges.
4. Carried up to $500,000 in debt to the Tiffany jewelry company and up to $50,000 to American Express. (Fiscal conservative ????)

Call me a cynic, but I don't have much faith in the public.

asurfaholic
11-11-2011, 07:07 PM

Have you seen the news recently? The media isn't exactly known for honest reporting, and if they are given an agenda - it goes down exactly to script.. How do you propose the public get reminded?

WIwarrior
11-11-2011, 07:12 PM
"How do you propose the public get reminded? "

We can get the word out ourselves but I believe the media will have to cover his past at some point. That kind of stuff is hard to keep quiet. I'm an optimist though so maybe I'm wrong.

braane
11-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Someone the other day on Fox News was like "We really shouldn't get too excited yet for Gingrich, he has a past".... the guy started to elaborate and someone was like "but we don't need to discuss Gingrich's past, because everyone already knows it".

It's going to be hard when they are already protecting him like that. I think the debt might be a legit issue, with the economy like this.

wgadget
11-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Have you seen the news recently? The media isn't exactly known for honest reporting, and if they are given an agenda - it goes down exactly to script.. How do you propose the public get reminded?

Twitter and Facebook are VERY popular.

NickOdell
11-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Not the attitude we need to have... every candidate is a threat to our campaign. The media will prop anyone and everyone besides Ron.

William R
11-11-2011, 07:23 PM
bump

parocks
11-11-2011, 07:37 PM

I don't have much faith in the ability of others to remind.

parocks
11-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Twitter and Facebook are VERY popular.

Not with people 65+

wgadget
11-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Not with people 65+

I think you'd be surprised. My 73-yo mother is addicted. She quit Facebook last month because of the privacy invasion, but she returned a mere two weeks later.

LOL

TroySmith
11-11-2011, 07:58 PM
This is the establishment panicking. There is no one left for them. It's coming down to Paul vs Romney.

FSP-Rebel
11-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Not saying for sure that it would work but sending relevant Grinch links to left wing tv outlets might get them to start talking amongst themselves and maybe even start a smear campaign or start to bring up his past. He's coming into the zone of where he is considered fair game in their book.

wgadget
11-11-2011, 08:04 PM
It does seem that Gingrich would be more of a hurdle for Obama than Cain, baggage and all.

Carehn
11-11-2011, 08:06 PM

I'v just about lost all of mine. LOL

But Newt will not last. Its funny we can predict who will rise and fall. Its like the game is rigged, hum.

All we have to do is make Paul have a surge at the right time. And that a couple months from now.

sailingaway
11-11-2011, 08:06 PM
He supported TARP at the end, he absolutely pushed the prescription drug program that is bankrupting medicare for the benefit of Big Pharma, he pushed for global warming regulations with Nancy Pelosi. Essentially he talks a good talk and is a brilliant guy, but his record is really, really bad.

Liberty74
11-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Newt is a historian and very intelligent. His secret weapon is the fact that he is a master at deception.

But once you take the face off of Newt or any other candidate, what's really there? Simply more of the same crap - more spending, more welfare, more taxes, more illegal wars, more debt, bigger police state, etc.

wgadget
11-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Newt is in it for Newt.

Ron is in it for America.

asurfaholic
11-11-2011, 08:19 PM
"How do you propose the public get reminded? "

We can get the word out ourselves but I believe the media will have to cover his past at some point. That kind of stuff is hard to keep quiet. I'm an optimist though so maybe I'm wrong.

I wouldnt say your wrong. Honestly who knows what tomorrow brings.

scrosnoe
11-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Globalist newts are not in the best interest of constitutional republics...

parocks
11-11-2011, 08:24 PM
This is the establishment panicking. There is no one left for them. It's coming down to Paul vs Romney.

The only people who win the Republican nomination are famous, and have been famous for a long time.

Newt is one of those people. Newt could win the nomination. Cain couldn't win the nomination.

Who TF is Cain? Huntsman? Perry?

Perry might've decided that acting like a retard on tv would be the fastest ticket to Letterman and higher name recognition.

Gingrich is THE most famous Republican currently running. Palin was more famous.

I wouldn't be "worried" about Newt. But "Yeah, Newt might very well win the Republican nomination. That doesn't worry me."

Gingrich is McCain. McCain won the nomination last time, and Newt is following the McCain game plan.

And if you're paying attention, you'll notice that Cain isn't running to win anymore. He's the Fred Thompson. Except that Cain knows that he can't win, or never intended to win, yet is still raking in money. And Cain is now targeting 18-29. Why not try to yank away Ron Paul's base when your goal is to help Newt win.

No Free Beer
11-11-2011, 08:29 PM
i think you guys are missing what is obvious. if he rises high enough, someone will bring out the dirt. just like cain, romney will bring dirt out on gingrich is he needs to...

RIPLEYMOM
11-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Does character matter? How does Newt differ from the character of our founders & Ron? Protect liberty at all costs! Newt is shape shifting to win! fight! Expose him! Don't look back! I know it's discouraging, but we are the key! THEY CANNOT WIN W/OUT US! You can do it, guys! Please don't give-up!

Miss Annie
11-11-2011, 08:46 PM
A blistering reality check on Newt Gingrich

http://www.therightscoop.com/a-blistering-reality-check-on-newt-gingrich/

Business Insider has published a blistering reminder of who Newt Gingrich is and why you shouldn’t vote for him. No, they aren’t vying for a specific candidate like Romney. In fact that’s exactly what this author wants to avoid:

Conservatives in the GOP are desperate to avoid a Mitt Romney nomination. Mitt’s a flip-flopper who gave Obamacare a test-run in Massachusetts. He used to be pro-choice. Mitt’s just a bad show all around.

And so conservatives have given Michele Bachmann, Rick Perry, and Herman Cain a ride up and down the polls. And now this agony is causing conservative voters to lurch to Newt Gingrich.

This would be a horrible mistake.

“But,” you’ll say, “he has ideas!”

Of course he does. Newt Gingrich has all the admirable qualities of an autodidact. He’s energetic and occasionally lobs a challenge at weak intellectual orthodoxy.

Unfortunately, he has all the horrible qualities of an autodidact:a tyrannical streak and an egomania that is impervious to the reality of other people.

And, yes, Newt Gingrich always has ideas. He has 5-point plans for fixing everything. He’s constantly pitching these “solutions.” Ever wonder why Newt Gingrich has so many ideas?

It’s pretty simple. Ideas come to you easily when you have no principles to get in the way of your roaming untrained intellect. So what are some of the ideas Newt Gingrich has promoted? Are they even conservative ideas?

He promoted the return of the Fairness Doctrine.
He was for a federal individual health-care mandate, the lynchpin of ObamaCare.
He was practically spooning Nancy Pelosi in commercials about the need for government action on global warming.
He supports green energy projects [Solyndras] and farm-subsidies.
Even as late as this year he was pitching for more government intervention in the health-care system at the progressive Brookings Institution.

How is Gingrich an improvement on Mitt Romney?

RDM
11-11-2011, 08:54 PM
FLASHBACK: As Gingrich Calls Obama A ‘Food Stamp President’, He Was One Of Biggest Spenders In Congress

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/05/14/166308/gingrich-was-big-spender/

Not what you would call "conservative".

klamath
11-11-2011, 08:59 PM
when are people going to start selling RP instead of tearing the other candidates down? Gingrichwill be the 4th candidate we lhelped take down. And you know what RP is still at 10%. They are not just going to come to RP when we tear these people down and part of the reason is we tear down the other candidates with such bile. We burn a lot of bridges with a scorched earth campaign.

RIPLEYMOM
11-11-2011, 09:00 PM
CHARGE! Don't hold back! They cannot win w/out us! Never forget! For the troops!

wgadget
11-11-2011, 09:01 PM
The only people who win the Republican nomination are famous, and have been famous for a long time.

Newt is one of those people. Newt could win the nomination. Cain couldn't win the nomination.

Who TF is Cain? Huntsman? Perry?

Perry might've decided that acting like a retard on tv would be the fastest ticket to Letterman and higher name recognition.

Gingrich is THE most famous Republican currently running. Palin was more famous.

I wouldn't be "worried" about Newt. But "Yeah, Newt might very well win the Republican nomination. That doesn't worry me."

Gingrich is McCain. McCain won the nomination last time, and Newt is following the McCain game plan.

And if you're paying attention, you'll notice that Cain isn't running to win anymore. He's the Fred Thompson. Except that Cain knows that he can't win, or never intended to win, yet is still raking in money. And Cain is now targeting 18-29. Why not try to yank away Ron Paul's base when your goal is to help Newt win.

Newt isn't famous..He's INFAMOUS. Notorious, even.

LisaNY
11-11-2011, 09:10 PM

Supports health insurance mandate:

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/gingrich-health-care-insurance/2011/05/15/id/396426

I found this video of him in 2007 talking about healthcare and advocating a "300 million payer healthcare system" - sounds like obamacare to me, no?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZGLU98KXBA&feature=related:

beardedlinen
11-11-2011, 09:19 PM

this. end of story.

sailingaway
11-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Supports health insurance mandate:

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/gingrich-health-care-insurance/2011/05/15/id/396426

I found this video of him in 2007 talking about healthcare and advocating a "300 million payer healthcare system" - sounds like obamacare to me, no?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZGLU98KXBA&feature=related:

are those in the opposing candidate forum where we can find them when we need them?

11-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Not with people 65+

Luckily they will remember Newt's past. FWIW my mom is 64 and uses Facebook.

LisaNY
11-11-2011, 09:45 PM
^^ no, I was going to start some grinch threads this weekend and post them. I just saw a great clip of judge napolitano & grinch going at it over wikileaks, more specifically with regard to the 1st amendment and gingrich came off as a total tool. I'd like to post that as well. And there was this funny montage of him flip-flopping on Libya:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64beH96LAnE

I'll dig up some more stuff this weekend and post in the proper forum. Should I start one thread or multiple? I'm not sure, sometimes good stuff gets buried when you have too many threads.

sailingaway
11-11-2011, 09:47 PM
I'd do separate threads with descriptive titles stuff can get buried any way and that way it is more likely to be found if a particular topic becomes apt (Obamacare, global warming, civil liberties, not being a tool....)

LisaNY
11-11-2011, 09:49 PM
ok, thanks.

Tod
11-11-2011, 10:01 PM
My comment on an article critical of Newt:

Gingrich not only isn't a conservative, he also seems to have a great deal of trouble managing money, judging from BOTH his personal AND campaign finances. Whether his considerable personal moral failings will become an issue remains to be seen, but, as with the Hermanator, there is plenty of reason not to support him without bringing those into the mix.

Romney may not have all the blatant personal issues, but he certainly has demonstrated a lack of clarity when it comes to important issues, whether it is regarding abortion, misplaced support of government bailouts, or mandates. Mitt has probably never seen an issue that he didn't believe could be best solved with yet another big government bureaucracy. During the time he was Governor, his record of job growth was so bad it was only overshadowed by Michigan, Ohio, and uh....what is the third state??? (sorry, Rick, I couldn't resist!)

Time has shown that only Ron Paul has had a firm grasp on all things economic, only Ron Paul has demonstrated wisdom concerning our schizophrenic foreign policy, and only Ron Paul has walked the walk of integrity.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/post/gingrich-as-the-new-conservative-dreamboat/2011/11/11/gIQAtIm0CN_blog.html

Brian4Liberty
11-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Newt is a historian and very intelligent. His secret weapon is the fact that he is a master at deception.

But once you take the face off of Newt or any other candidate, what's really there? Simply more of the same crap - more spending, more welfare, more taxes, more illegal wars, more debt, bigger police state, etc.

Fixed that to reflect the media spin for the past year.

ShaneEnochs
11-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Make no mistake guys, Newt is very dangerous. All you have to do is look at his last two debates. With the one that he and Cain were in, Cain made him look like a freaking genius (which may not be too far from the truth. The man is incredibly intelligent). In the last debate, instead of talking about the issues, he attacked the questions and the moderators, yet people say that he 'won' the debate. He knows exactly what he's doing.

It's obvious that candidates past doesn't bring them down the way we would expect. Look how long it took for the media to finally put a chink in Cain's armor. It wasn't until they lifted up Newt that people finally started migrating away from Cain. Cain STILL has a very strong following though.

One of Cain's best weapon, besides his intelligence and speaking ability, is that he can bring both houses together. He's just conservative enough for Republicans, and just liberal enough for Democrats. This will push him ahead regardless of his past, I think.

No, don't lull yourselves into a sense of security. We need to be actively fighting him.

parocks
11-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Newt isn't famous..He's INFAMOUS. Notorious, even.

Newt was the Republican Speaker of the House.

He did Contract With America.

In the 90s, it was Clinton vs. Gingrich pretty much.

Famous.

DavidK
11-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Newt Gingrich rise in the polls is just another Fox News scheme, next it'll be Rick Santorum, and then Jon Huntsman.

11-11-2011, 10:32 PM
next it'll be Rick Santorum, and then Jon Huntsman.

Even Fox can't spin that one.

NeoconTea
11-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Newt Gingrich rise in the polls is just another Fox News scheme, next it'll be Rick Santorum, and then Jon Huntsman.
They have no chance of catching on. Newt is the last real threat other than Romney.

FSP-Rebel
11-11-2011, 10:50 PM
We at least raised 600k..

Brings me back a spell.

The Free Hornet
11-11-2011, 11:16 PM
when are people going to start selling RP instead of tearing the other candidates down? Gingrichwill be the 4th candidate we lhelped take down. And you know what RP is still at 10%. They are not just going to come to RP when we tear these people down and part of the reason is we tear down the other candidates with such bile. We burn a lot of bridges with a scorched earth campaign.

Ron Paul is a bridge builder and these candidates burnt their own bridges. The "10%" problem has to do with the few number of registered Republicans that value freedom. It may be that, idealogically, only 10% of the Republican Party is sufficiently - take your pick - libertarian or constitutionally conservative. The problem is that compromise, much like deficit spending, is a slippery slope. If you compromised yesterday, why not today? If you can easily pay back 50% of your GDP, why not 75%? 100%?

How is this a problem? No one but Ron Paul is sufficiently capable and principled to move the country in the other direction. Perhaps Gary Johnson is an exception but all others are proven compromisers. When you compromise with the Progressives, you always end with a more progressive country. Increased spending and decreased freedom.

I don't doubt that Republicans would flip over a slick-looking, smooth-talking creature who appears idealogically between Ron Paul and a George W Bush. However, such a creature doesn't exist. You can't be a little bit pregnant and you can't be a little bit libertarian. Once you accept the premise that our lives are ours to live, you are invariably pushed into specific frameworks of thinking. There is a lot of disagreement among freedom lovers (anarcho vs constitutionalists, Libertarians vs Objectivists, pro-IP vs anti-IP) but a similar thread runs through most of these.

That Ron Paul wants to and can balance the budget in 3 years does not imply there is guy out there who would do it in 6 years more to the liking of the moral majority. The most they would do is put us on a better trajectory and then compromise as soon as expedience demands it.