PDA

View Full Version : "Ron Paul faces criticism for ‘Veterans Day’ money bomb" hit piece attempt

CaptainAmerica
11-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Texas Congressman Ron Paul, a candidate for the Republican presidential nomination, kicked off his “Veterans Day” money bomb on Friday. “It’s an honor to receive more donations from our active duty servicemen and women than all of my Republican opponents for the presidency combined,” Paul wrote in a campaign email on Wednesday. Despite his popularity among members of the US military, Paul is facing some criticism for holding a money bomb on Veterans Day.

Death and Taxes’ DJ Pangburn slammed Paul on Friday for conducting a fundraiser on Veterans Day. “Leveraging Veteran’s Day to raise campaign dollars is rather repugnant,” Pangburn writes. “It is not a day for politics but for the veterans of the country who have served in wars from Europe and Korea to Vietnam and Iraq,” Pangburn adds.

Read more: http://www.thestatecolumn.com/texas/ron-paul-faces-criticism-for-veterans-day-money-bomb/#ixzz1dRFNcgyu
There is no doubt that Paul is popular among active military and veterans. Paul consistently pulls in more donations from active military than fellow GOP candidates. Paul also garnered more donations from active military than Obama in the 3Q 2011.

Paul’s “Veterans Day” money bomb was actually organized by the Texas Congressman’s followers, a fact that is acknowledged by Death and Taxes. “Ron Paul’s supporters and not the candidate himself are leading this moneybomb, but the candidate might have considered instructing his followers that today is a day for the troops,” Pangburn posits. Paul served in the Air Force and Air National Guard as a in-flight surgeon during the Vietnam War.

While Pangburn makes his disappointment with timing of the latest money bomb clear, he also acknowledges Paul’s support for veterans. “Ron Paul is in fact a veteran and he is quite vocal touting a non-interventionist foreign policy, which this author respects, particularly since nearly $1 trillion is spent on defense annually,” Pangburn professes.

According to Paul’s Facebook page, the “Veterans Day” money bomb has raised $280,000 as of approximately 1:30pm EDT.
http://www.thestatecolumn.com/texas/ron-paul-faces-criticism-for-veterans-day-money-bomb/

Lets all leave a comment on this article..after all they took the time to do a hit piece on veteran Ron Paul and all his supporters but didn't take the time to talk about corporate america exploiting veterans day to advertise snake oil sales and cover up veterans day with the bullshit about "buying " stuff from their stores which have nothing to do with veterans day.

Anti Federalist
11-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Just to be clear this is the website that had the blog attacking Ron:

hxxp://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/159400/ron-paul-exploits-veterans-day-with-money-bomb-fundraiser/#2

akforme
11-11-2011, 04:53 PM
isn't veterans day exploiting veterans anyway for political pandering? I'm willing to guess a politician thought this one up.

Dary
11-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Gotta love those comments. :)

Humanae Libertas
11-11-2011, 05:07 PM
isn't veterans day exploiting veterans anyway for political pandering? I'm willing to guess a politician thought this one up.

This. Pretty much gives the neo-cons a day to boast about how we need to stay overseas and bomb innocent people.

demolama
11-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Considering Memorial Day and Veterans Day have sort of morphed into the same thing we actually have 2 days a year to celebrate perpetual war and those who willingly fight them

libertygrl
11-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Yeah, some jerk on a local conservative forum tried the same garbage. I just posted the following videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP8q7fc7TR4&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAVoYciURoU&feature=player_embedded

LibertyEagle
11-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Considering Memorial Day and Veterans Day have sort of morphed into the same thing we actually have 2 days a year to celebrate perpetual war and those who willingly fight them

I think that is going more than a little far. There are a ton of veterans who were drafted, you know.

And I'm pretty damned glad that there are Americans willing to fight for our country if we are attacked, or if war is declared against us.

What I want is that our military is used for our national defense and that alone.

demolama
11-11-2011, 05:28 PM
I think that is going more than a little far. There are a ton of veterans who were drafted, you know.

And I'm pretty damned glad that there are Americans willing to fight for our country if we are attacked, or if war is declared against us.

What I want is that our military is used for our national defense and that alone.

Perhaps but that doesn't change the fact that the 2 days are exactly the same.

Miss Annie
11-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Gotta love those comments. :)

Those comments made my eyes leak! When we start to feel negative about the election..... we need to remember those kinds of comments!

european
11-11-2011, 05:31 PM
:cool: Pick your favourite quote of some responses to that hitpiece attempt:

I'm a Vet and I donated to Ron Paul today on Veteran's Day.

Me Too!
USMC Danang - Chu Lai, '65-'66
(just sorry that $20.12 is all I could afford)

Yup! Vet here, happy to donate today.

Same here.

me too

I'm the Proud Mother of a UNITED STATES SOLDIER (a 2 tour Iraq Veteran), and I MUST SAY it was an ABSOLUTE HONOR, a HUGE PRIVILEDGE, and one of my GREATEST PLEASURES to be able to donate to the Presidential Campaign of Dr. Ron Paul (...of whom I just became familiar with within the past couple of months.), and ESPECIALLY TODAY of all days!
In better than 50 years, I have never donated to any other candidate, but then, I've never heard such logic, common sense, or compassion for Our Rights, Our Freedom and Our Liberty from ANY POLITICIAN EVER either! ...Time's runnnig out! We serioulsly do NEED to turn back the clock and correct the damage that's been done NOW, before there isn't any TIME, FREEDOM or LIBERTIES left! ...if you won't do it for youself, do it for the little ones! ...it'll be the BEST THING you could ever do!

I am a veteran. I have donated to Paul’s campaign, and I am voting for him in my state’s primary. Several other veterans I know (including one from a unit I served in), are doing the same.

The only ones complaining about Ron Paul's Veteran's day Money Bomb are the ones who complain about anything Ron Paul. I read that story on Death and Taxes and all comments regarding it felt otherwise.
I am a Veteran and I am happy to be "exploited" by a veteran who is campaigning to bring our troops home.
I'm actually happy these stories came out. Looks like a lot of support is being stirred up because of them. Thanks @ssholes!

I am a Marine Corps veteran and proudly donated to Ron Paul's campaign today. Anyone who supports our veterans should support Ron Paul, and today is a great day to show that support!

Iraq combat vet here, I just donated to Ron Paul and will continue to do so. I am honored to donate to such a patriot that actually cares about the veterans. The MSM and scumbag government are the ones that use veterans to their advantage. I would walk across hot coals and broken glass barefoot to vote for him. Wanna know why? Google Ron Paul and see why he receives more donations from active duty military than all other GOP candidates combined and significantly more than Obama. The troops that fight these wars support him and so should you.

I'm a veteran, I just donated. Click here to do the same: https://secure.ronpaul2012.com...

My husband is active duty military, has served in Afghanistan, and felt no hesitation on spending part of HIS day contributing to the candidacy of Ron Paul.

Fort Benning Soldier here retiring soon. I gave last time, and will probably give again this time. What a great way to be an advocate for liberty by contributing to such a worthy cause on veterans day. But one needs to understand what Ron Paul represents to understand the value of that contribution on such a day.

I am a veteran and I donated to RON PAUL today. If you really want to honor a veteran, you should donate to Ron Paul as well, because he is the only one running for office who will not send our military off to fight in undeclared wars!

Afghan veteran here I just donated $25 to the campaign to the guy criticizing Dr. Paul go !@#$ yourself.

I am a another Vet proud to donate to the cause of liberty. It makes it even more special.

I, too, am a veteran of the United States Marine Corps, and I proudly donated $111.10 today to Ron Paul's Presidential Campaign in honor of the only candidate running who cares about our veterans and our Constitution which all of us have sworn an oath to uphold and defend. All these people complaining are merely armchair generals who have never put on a uniform of this country and pledged their lives in her defense, and they frankly have no idea what the frell they are talking about.

I'm a soldier with the FL National Guard and I support Ron Paul.

I'm a veteran. My brother was on the river boats in Vietnam and I took care of him the last fourteen years of his life. During that time we talked a lot about the war, the fake "Gulf of Tonkin Incident" and the nature of wars perpetuated by the bankster class, and Ron Paul. Every Veterans Day and Memorial Day, I would salute him and thank him for his sacrifice. It always made him smile and he would salute me back. I could not do that this time, because he died in January. I miss my brother, and I want to tell you all that my brother would salute you for working to elect Ron Paul. I salute you too . I gave to Ron Paul Please give BIG for Ron Paul in honor of all fallen and walking wounded Veterans. God bless America, and may he curse the traitorous press-ti-tutes, and elites.

I DONATED AND i'M A VET AND MY DAD IS A VET AND MY G-PA WAS A VET...GO SUCK IT!! VETS LOVE RON PAUL!

I'm a veteran I support Ron Paul, I just saw the CBS poll saying Paul is at 5% what freaking BS!!!! Manipulators every last one of them! It's time one way or another to take this country back and restore REAL freedom and liberty back to the citizens of this country! Otherwise all of the things that are forefathers and ancestors fought and died for will all be for nothing!

Proud Gulf war 1991 and Iraq Marine Vet 2003-2007 and i am so proud to say that i donated 800 dollars to Ron Paul today. I take this Article as a strong offense to me and im sure all the other Vets say the same.

I'm a Former Marine who will be donating to Ron PAul today! Simper Fi.

Marine Corps infantry, afghanistan Vet , I support and will be donating.
William for Ron Paul 2012

I'm a veteran and have spoken with others - we're all donating to Ron Paul today - he's a veteran too and what better way to honor his continuing service to our constitution, our supreme law,than by donating to his quest to restore constitutional order in this republic.
Ron Paul is the last, best hope to restore the vision of our founders, a country where individual freedom and the property of a sovereign people is respected and protected by government.

I'm a vet and I'm not offended.... actually, I think I'll go donate now.

I am a veteran and I support Ron Paul.

USMC vet here. Not only do I not mind but I donated as well.

I donated to Ron Paul and my Father is a Veteren. I am not offended. The criticism is unfounded and hopefully it will generate more donations as it is quite a small complaint. Well, at least he is not being alleged to commit a crime or something. Vote for Ron Paul. 2012

I never thought I'd see a day when the media blacklists veterans, the constitution and freedom. I'm a vet, I donated to Ron Paul and will vote for him too.

All are quotes of active duty soldiers, veterans and their families
source: http://www.thestatecolumn.com/texas/ron-paul-faces-criticism-for-veterans-day-money-bomb/

John F Kennedy III
11-11-2011, 06:12 PM
One difference between Ron Paul and the Neocons? Dr. Paul wants the military person to be ALIVE when their status is changed from "active duty" to "veteran".

qh4dotcom
11-11-2011, 07:12 PM

I agree about using the military solely for national defense but you do realize that if EVERY veteran who was drafted or voluntarily enrolled had given the government the finger there would have been no Vietnam war? and don't expect me to believe that the government would have put the whole military and all of the draftees in jail.

That's precisely why we have the big mess in Afghanistan, Iraq, Lybia, etc...because not enough members of the military have the guts to give the government the finger, not enough members realize that when the government is overwhelmingly given the finger the whole military can't be jailed.

AuH20
11-11-2011, 07:25 PM

To reiterate what you're saying, go watch the ending of Vietnam in HD which aired yesterday. They had a key war correspondent basically state that in retrospect those boys fought like tigers given the political & bureaucratic mess they were subjected to. I can't even imagine being thrown into such a crappy situation that you have to basically fight for yourselves. The VC and NVA were freaking animals and our own government was protecting them as well as their Chinese and Soviet suppliers.

AGRP
11-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Nows the time to bring up the stat about the military supporting Ron Paul more than any other candidate.

european
11-12-2011, 12:46 AM
Nows the time to bring up the stat about the military supporting Ron Paul more than any other candidate.

yeah i wonder what the Q4 stats (and the 2011 full stats) will say about the troops donating to the candidates

libertarian4321
11-12-2011, 05:33 AM

Same here.

It is up to us to elect leaders who will use the military properly.

When we fight stupid wars, it isn't the fault of the 19-year old Army PFC, it's the fault of old men in Washington and those who elected them. Blame them, not the PFC.

libertarian4321
11-12-2011, 05:46 AM
I agree about using the military solely for national defense but you do realize that if EVERY veteran who was drafted or voluntarily enrolled had given the government the finger there would have been no Vietnam war? and don't expect me to believe that the government would have put the whole military and all of the draftees in jail.

That's precisely why we have the big mess in Afghanistan, Iraq, Lybia, etc...because not enough members of the military have the guts to give the government the finger, not enough members realize that when the government is overwhelmingly given the finger the whole military can't be jailed.

It's easy to talk tough while sitting at your keyboard, quite another to actually do it.

There is no chance that the whole military is going to turn against the government because the government started a stupid war- and every soldier knows that. Any soldier who did that knows that he likely spend years in prison in Fort Leavenworth (and it ain't no country club like most civilian prisons) and eventually be released with a dishonorable discharge (which screws up you chances for employment for the rest of your life).

Hence, even soldiers who don't agree with the war aren't going to do what you bravely proposed as you safely tapped away at your keyboard, without having to face any consequences for your bold pronouncement.

As I said before, don't blame PFC Snuffy for the war, blame the old men in Washington who started the war, and those who elected them.

The way to prevent stupid wars is NOT to expect 18-year old soldiers to mutiny and throw their lives away in a Quixotic protest, but rather to elect people who won't get us into stupid wars, and if we do get into a stupid war, it is up to US, as citizens, to pressure them to end it.

Lucille
11-12-2011, 11:56 AM
So match your donation to RP with another to the veterans org. of your choice, and make it in honor of RP. I was able to do that with my matching donation to Operation Warrior Wellness (http://www.operationwarriorwellness.org/).

The people who are griping most likely only pay lip service to support the troops and honoring the veterans anyhow. They want them sent to fight in these insane endless Islamic theocracy-building wars, tour after tour, and then treat them like trash when they finally come home.

Wesker1982
11-12-2011, 12:10 PM

What does this have to do with Veteran's Day or what the soldiers actually do?

Toureg89
11-12-2011, 12:40 PM
someone should post Adam Kokesh's vid saying the best way to honor vets is to try to stop making soldiers into vets

http://youtu.be/OZ3ZxDBRZiE

LibertasPraesidium
11-12-2011, 12:42 PM
My comment to the author:

“Leveraging Veteran’s Day to raise campaign dollars is rather repugnant,” Pangburn writes. “It is not a day for politics but for the veterans of the country who have served in wars from Europe and Korea to Vietnam and Iraq,” Pangburn adds.
Yet politics inherently is intertwined with what the military does. As executive branch leader the POTUS has control over the military, and a race prior based upon political stances is how they become President. To say otherwise is ridiculous.

While Veterans day is a day to remember the Vets, isn't also a day to re-examine what we are doing to them, where we are sending them and why? Shouldn't it be a day where we think they should come home and visit their loved ones. That is what they want, not war. So how is it repugnant for a group of grassroots supporters to hold a donation drive, on a day for their candidate who has vowed to bring the troops home? How is it repugnant for grassroots supporters to donate to a campaign when we have been at war for 10 years? And with talk of a war with Iran, what is the point? Shouldn't supporting the troops mean that we don't send them overseas without a declaration of war, and without a thought out strategy for winning in the short term.

Also, to think of our veterans is to think of the condition of the economy here at home, supporting them by being honest with ourselves about the rampant unchecked spending by the congress for the last ten years. If we do not begin making the hard decisions we will see more debt and more problems, not less. The Vets know this, and want to come home.

Read more: http://www.thestatecolumn.com/texas/ron-paul-faces-criticism-for-veterans-day-money-bomb/#ixzz1dWB7RyS9

juleswin
11-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Theres nothing that irks me more than seeing someone call this movement a cult. I support Ron because he is the only one runing to will gve me more of my freedom(not all) back. I will jump ship the second I find a politicians who will give me more freedom, who is more trustworthy and who is more electable than Ron and u can take that to the bank :)