PDA

View Full Version : Newt Claims Coolidge was americas last real conservative president

mlee45
11-11-2011, 04:06 PM
http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/11/11/newt-claims-coolidge-was-americas-last-real-conservative-president

Is he taking one out of Ron's book?

fisharmor
11-11-2011, 04:08 PM
He makes it so difficult for me not to like him.

TroySmith
11-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Coolidge was really the only great 20th century president.

trey4sports
11-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Yeah, listen to him talk about Lincoln though.

AlexMerced
11-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Newt has very astute political senses, he's been playing it soft all along knowing he didn't want to rise to early and let his oppoents run full steam ahead, in the meantime he's adopted the most liked parts of all his opponent and dropped the not liked parts (of all his opponent, not just paul, trust me these guys arn't spending all their time thinking about Paul)

Newt is a great politician... which is why he'lll make a horrible president, no matter how smart he is he'll be like Obama in always going down the road of what seems like a political winner.

Herman Cain isn't a politician... but he's got no foresight which can be seen by his shock that the TARP money was misused, that alone disqualifies him

Mitt Romney... he's Newt without conservative appeal

Ron Paul... has tremndous forsigt and has been able to battle the washington machine for decades and is yet to give in to it, he's our guy

ctiger2
11-11-2011, 04:24 PM
He makes it so difficult for me not to like him.

What else would you like to hear? Newt wants to know.

trey4sports
11-11-2011, 04:34 PM
What else would you like to hear? Newt wants to know.

lolz +rep

Keith and stuff
11-11-2011, 04:36 PM
I was at the debate/ forum in Hampton, NH last night and Newt talked about Coolidge there also. I admit, whenever someone says something good about Coolidge, I like it. Newt also talked about how he won't go as far as Jefferson did, at the debate. Newt claimed that Jefferson bought half a continent (while that isn't exactly true, Newt was referring to the Louisiana Purchase.) Newt certainly annoyed me with that comment. I was also annoyed with several of his other comments but he did have the most cheers last night (not from me, but overall.)

FreedomProsperityPeace
11-11-2011, 04:39 PM
How's that going to play with the typical Fox watcher who loves Reagan and does think Reagan was a real conservative?

trey4sports
11-11-2011, 04:39 PM
I was at the debate/ forum in Hampton, NH last night and Newt talked about Coolidge there also. I admit, whenever someone says something good about Coolidge, I like it. Newt also talked about how he won't go as far as Jefferson did, at the debate. Newt claimed that Jefferson bought half a continent (while that isn't exactly true, Newt was referring to the Louisiana Purchase.) Newt certainly annoyed me with that comment. I was also annoyed with several of his other comments but he did have the most cheers last night (not from me, but overall.)

how was Ron received? Did people (aside from clear supporters like us) like him?

Jingles
11-11-2011, 04:42 PM
This is why I think Newt will be rather difficult (I know he has his past, but still) because he can talk about positions and actually know what he is talking about even if he doesn't believe them/will follow through with them.

Sunstruck-Eden
11-11-2011, 04:45 PM
I always thought of him as the Gerald Ford of the 1920s. You know, because of the Teapot Dome Scandal. But, he do some considerable good and was pretty popular when he left office.

I also enjoy what he said of Hoover: "for six years that man has given me unsolicited advice—all of it bad." :D

ZanZibar
11-11-2011, 04:46 PM
He makes it so difficult for me not to like him.Go to the Opposing Candidates sub forum and look at every post bearing his name. It won't be long before you change your mind.

MJU1983
11-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Go to the Opposing Candidates sub forum and look at every post bearing his name. It won't be long before you change your mind.

Newt Gingrich summed up in a picture:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/MJU1983/CHAMELEON1.jpg

NeoconTea
11-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Newt has long praised Reagan. This is a legitimate flip flop to take note of.

MJU1983
11-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Made a Tweet about Newt:

https://twitter.com/#!/mju1983/status/135128423386447873

RIPLEYMOM
11-11-2011, 05:00 PM
They can't win without us

anaconda
11-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Newt claimed that Jefferson bought half a continent (while that isn't exactly true, Newt was referring to the Louisiana Purchase.) Newt certainly annoyed me with that comment.

But Jefferson did buy half of a continent without consulting congress. Utterly defiant of the constitution.

axlr
11-11-2011, 05:07 PM

LOL! Perfect!

sailingaway
11-11-2011, 05:26 PM
He's copying Ron in everything else, why not this too?

But if he thinks that way, why was he ok with TARP, why did he push for global warming regulations, why was he pushing for the medicare prescription drug program that is bankrupting medicare and guaranteeing monopoly pricing to big pharma, etc etc etc?

Newt SOUNDS good. When you get to his record it is an entirely different thing, however.

klamath
11-11-2011, 05:27 PM

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/MJU1983/CHAMELEON1.jpg
That is one beautiful izzard. I might even vote for that.

sailingaway
11-11-2011, 05:29 PM
But Jefferson did buy half of a continent without consulting congress. Utterly defiant of the constitution.

Yeah, and he regretted it later. He should have gotten it approved properly, no question. However, Jefferson isn't running for office. Ron is, and Newt is pretending to be Ron, he knows history and he knows how to spin, but it only works if you don't look at his body of life's work.

Melancton Smith
11-11-2011, 05:36 PM

Kevin Gutzman actually has a different view of this; Kevin thinks Jefferson's actions were perfectly constitutional under some common law statutes that included acquiring land or something. I forgot what he said, but he was asked once and he explained that it was constitutional, just can't remember the exact reasoning. Jefferson thought it was unconstitutional, but his advisors were telling him no it is constitutional, and of course the federalist hated Jefferson so they likewise went after him over this, but according to Kevin, Jefferson and the federalists were wrong and it was in fact constitutional. Sorry I can't provide any more info on this.

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Kevin Gutzman actually has a different view of this; Kevin thinks Jefferson's actions were perfectly constitutional under some common law statutes that included acquiring land or something. I forgot what he said, but he was asked once and he explained that it was constitutional, just can't remember the exact reasoning. Jefferson thought it was unconstitutional, but his advisors were telling him no it is constitutional, and of course the federalist hated Jefferson so they likewise went after him over this, but according to Kevin, Jefferson and the federalists were wrong and it was in fact constitutional. Sorry I can't provide any more info on this.

Common law does not override the Constitution, which is one of the many major flaws of the Constitution. There is no authority in the Constitution for the executive to purchase foreign land with taxpayers monies -- that is the Legislatures duties. It was blatantly unconstitutional and he knew it. It is one of the blemishes on his stellar record.

Melancton Smith
11-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Common law does not override the Constitution, which is one of the many major flaws of the Constitution. There is no authority in the Constitution for the executive to purchase foreign land with taxpayers monies -- that is the Legislatures duties. It was blatantly unconstitutional and he knew it. It is one of the blemishes on his stellar record.

Again, I'm not exactly sure the rational given, but Kevin Gutzman is an authority in this field and I tend to agree with what he said. I thought it was unconstitutional too, until I saw what he said in reply to a question on facebook. He may have written about it in one of his books also, just not sure which one. Take it up with him, since I don't have the exchange at my disposal. All I'm saying is that a prominent scholar disagrees, that's all.

sailingaway
11-11-2011, 05:54 PM

I haven't looked at this legal question, I had just thought of article 1 section 8. It is a fact that the Constitution incorporates the body of Anglo American common law, however I believe it was just where not contradicted and I'd have to look at it more closely. Interesting question, though. I haven't bothered because I can stand Jefferson having had that one blemish that long ago, frankly.

Melancton Smith
11-11-2011, 05:56 PM
In fact if you look here (http://www.tomwoods.com/blog/why-it-is-ok-to-vote-part-ii/#comment-210882102), from a post by Tom Woods in the comments section he likewise agrees with Kevin:

Have answered all these repeatedly in blog posts, comments, articles, and videos. You have zero knowledge of any of this, as your references to the Louisiana Purchase (which only Jefferson among the Republicans thought was constitutionally dubious; the consensus was that it was included under the treaty power) and the Barbary pirates attest.

It was the treaty power.

Melancton Smith
11-11-2011, 06:11 PM
I want to add that I think the purchase has been tainted and not given a fair shake. In one sense it was good, in the sense that it ensured that America wouldn't be involved in foreign affairs of France and Britain, which if the land wasn't purchased, might have started a war down the line. However, John Randolph of Roanoke, who I think is unjustly neglected, at first supported the purchase but later in life regretted his support, wanting to return to the original 13 states. In this view, of keeping small communities, does, in the other sense, give the purchase a red mark.

MJU1983
11-11-2011, 06:21 PM
That is one beautiful izzard. I might even vote for that.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/MJU1983/newt_chameleon.jpg

rideurlightning
11-11-2011, 06:41 PM
I hate that he is right.

Alex540
11-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Coolidge is one of my favorite presidents. My senior quote is from him.

Duty is not collective; it is personal.

ZanZibar
11-11-2011, 06:53 PM
I think the LP was unconstitutional.

But Jefferson also put an oppressive tariff on the country. He was one of the better presidents, but far from perfect.

He didn't think being President was a big deal so he excluded it from his gravestone:

http://www.elsewisemedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/tjgravemarker500b.jpg