PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Night - Foreign Policy Debate

Xelaetaks
11-11-2011, 01:26 AM
Well I saw on my tv listings the next debate is only one hour but it will be focused mostly on foreign policy I think, so I hope we are prepared for this debate.

IMO if Ron Paul can nail some ideas in foreign policy that resonates with all the people this could make all the difference. I hope he can mention that he gets more money than all the other candidates from the military and along with bringing our troops home he plans to have the strongest national defense there is!

This thread is a little earlier but just putting this out there in advance so we can be prepared and if anyone in the campaign happens to read this though I'm sure they're aware this is a big topic with Ron Paul. 🇺🇸

ONUV
11-11-2011, 01:31 AM
Debate is 90 minutes with the last 30 minutes up to local affiliates.

This debate can really separate Paul from the status quo. He should absolutely mention he has more military donations than all the other Republican candidates combined.

Tinnuhana
11-11-2011, 01:42 AM
If they have introductory video blurbs about each candidate, that would be a great place to throw up the charts...how about the one that shows Ron's donations from the military compared to the minutes he gets per debate! :D

J_White
11-11-2011, 06:50 AM
He should mention how stupid the foreign policy has been.
In many instances those we were supposed to be helping have turned on us.
We supported Iraq against Iran, they turned on us.
We supported OBL against Russia, they turned on us and gave us Al Qaeda.
We supported Afghanistan against Taliban, now they say if USA attacks Pakistan, they will side with Pakistan.
We "liberated" Iraq from Saddam, now they dont want our army there anymore (no more amnesty for soldiers).
We "liberated" Libya from Gaddafi, now supposedly Al-Qaeda flag is flying in Benghazi.
Get common sense back !! and mind our own business.

ShaneEnochs
11-11-2011, 07:02 AM
His campaign needs to be on top of this and coach him whether he likes it or not. It's fine to not want to be interventionist, but he needs to say how bringing troops home will allow them to go where they are needed and annihilate our enemies should there be a threat.

muzzled dogg
11-11-2011, 07:05 AM
Foreign policy wasn't mentioned once at the economy debate

And hey will Rick perry be there??

Tinnuhana
11-11-2011, 08:01 AM
I've been reading things that seem to suggest that Romney is vying for chief warmongerer...gearing up to attack Iran and all. How will this play out in the debate? I'd like to see Ron have some cold hard facts with citations to throw out there about costs, casualties, and also Israeli polls, if ever done, about their attitudes towards US intervention in the area. If he can keep it away from becoming an Islam hate-fest or Israel love-fest (in the military industrial complex sort of way), he can keep an emotional response centered on the suffering in the area.

ShaneEnochs
11-11-2011, 08:05 AM
I've been reading things that seem to suggest that Romney is vying for chief warmongerer...gearing up to attack Iran and all. How will this play out in the debate? I'd like to see Ron have some cold hard facts with citations to throw out there about costs, casualties, and also Israeli polls, if ever done, about their attitudes towards US intervention in the area. If he can keep it away from becoming an Islam hate-fest or Israel love-fest (in the military industrial complex sort of way), he can keep an emotional response centered on the suffering in the area.

Reading where?

Romney is very moderate. I doubt he's coming out as the chief neocon. He doesn't really talk a whole lot about the topic except to say that he'll protect Israel and Iran shouldn't have nukes.

Chieppa1
11-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Reading where?

Romney is very moderate. I doubt he's coming out as the chief neocon. He doesn't really talk a whole lot about the topic except to say that he'll protect Israel and Iran shouldn't have nukes.

Romney: If Elected I’d ‘Prepare for War’ With Iran (http://news.antiwar.com/2011/11/10/romney-if-elected-id-prepare-for-war-with-iran/)

11-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Ron will stand up against the insanity going on in this country right now. I want another moment like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFD9a1ASs1c

evadmurd
11-11-2011, 08:15 AM
He needs to re-confirm his usual stance on non-intervention and not deviate, BUT, he also needs to make people understand, without rambling, that he will emphatically defend this country from any attack from ANY enemy, foreign or domestic. He needs to prove to every listener that NO ONE need fear Iran or any other attacker with a Ron Paul presidency--not because we will be friends with everyone (which we should try to be), but because we will quickly and emphatically respond to any attack, do the job and be done with it. I don't want him to waiver one bit on what he stands for, but I want to see his backbone on this issue.

fatjohn
11-11-2011, 08:52 AM
when the bring up going to war with Iran, he better rebutts by asking them if they´ll go to war with North Korea too. Which already has nukes. And an even bigger nutjob as dictator.

ShaneEnochs
11-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Romney: If Elected I’d ‘Prepare for War’ With Iran (http://news.antiwar.com/2011/11/10/romney-if-elected-id-prepare-for-war-with-iran/)

I'll be damned. That's terrifying.

klamath
11-11-2011, 09:01 AM
when the bring up going to war with Iran, he better rebutts by asking them if they´ll go to war with North Korea too. Which already has nukes. And an even bigger nutjob as dictator. Answer the question with a question. "How are you going to pay for it? Barrowing more money from China so that in a few years we have to vote on a austerity program dictated by them? Or are we going to pay for it by cutting grandma and grandpa's social security? What is your choice?

georgiaboy
11-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Ron will stand up against the insanity going on in this country right now. I want another moment like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFD9a1ASs1c

Don't worry, you're gonna get a whole debate based around this moment.

Ron will lay out the truth up, down, and sideways.

He'll point to history, to the constitution, to morality, to just war theory, and on and on creating a logical mountain of support for the correctness of a non-bullying, non-intervening, non-entangling, friendly, and resolutely defensive foreign policy.

It's gonna be a war of ideologies on that stage and in that auditorium, with Ron defending the high road. again.

And people dare to call this man a coward.

klamath
11-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Romney: If Elected I’d ‘Prepare for War’ With Iran (http://news.antiwar.com/2011/11/10/romney-if-elected-id-prepare-for-war-with-iran/) Asked whether his son's served in the military;
“It’s remarkable how we can show our support for our nation, and one of the ways my sons are showing support for our nation is helping to get me elected, because they think I’d be a great president. My son, Josh, bought the family Winnebago and has visited 99 counties, most of them with his three kids and his wife. And I respect that and respect all of those in the way they serve this great country.”
Are your son's going to now step forward and volunteer to relieve the burden on the war weary troops as we open another front Mr Romney? Are you going to ask them to join now so that they are trained and ready to lead the charge as you give the order to attack?
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/08/08/questions-about-romneys-sons-and-military-service/

coastie
11-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Do you have any evidence whatsoever to support your claims? This is the first I've heard of it, I'm a vet, am "froathing at the mouth anti-military people", as are numerous others i know on a personal level--and we ALL donated last quarter, as we do every quarter...

70 years of "defense posture" scrapped?

70 years of Military Industrial Complex having our Pentagon budget by the short and curlies scrapped is more like it. Name something that spending ever protected us from. History says it did not protect us from anything. What say you?

Please tell me my sarcasm meter is way off today.:confused:

seraphson
11-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Answer the question with a question. "How are you going to pay for it? Barrowing more money from China so that in a few years we have to vote on a austerity program dictated by them? Or are we going to pay for it by cutting grandma and grandpa's social security? What is your choice?

EXACTLY. I'm fairly certain a massive amount of our "regular joe" Americans hasn't the slightest CLUE as to have far up shit creek we are (and don't even mention the paddles, we sold those to china, took that money, spent it, and sold the incurring debt back to China). Speaking on the matter though; I'd be really curious what type of responses we would get if we walked down the street and asked typical bystanders how are these wars paid for and "where does money come from and how is it backed"?

Edit: I should note I'm not implying I'm an economic genius (far, far from it) but I did have the thought process to actually ask "Why?" and from there, with much browsing, viewing, listening, and reading discovered how far the rabbit hole really goes.

bronc_fan23
11-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Herman Cain's answer to everything:

"I will be asking my advisers. That's what you have advisers for, to ask them what to do!"

sailingaway
11-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Ron would ABSOLUTELY defend this country, and that is what he needs to get across, that he filed for letters of marque for a small band to go after Osama bin Laden CONSTITUTIONALLY immediately after 9/11 and renewed the call for them instead of miring down in a nation war later as well. He thinks the methods and policy is bad for our security and he says that, but that isn't the message he has to get across to people looking for the candidate for whom they should vote. People know that about him, but some think he is a pacifist or would dither if there honestly were a risk.. They don't know he opposed the SALT treaty because it limited our sovereign decisions on defense, back when he actually did consider the Soviets to be a risk. He just isn't frightened into foolish action by people who have no delivery system, are surrounded by allies with nuclear bombs themselves, so would be committing suicide as a NATION if they launched a nuclear bomb, and can't even make enough gasoline for their own needs.

If need be he would go to CONGRESS to have them declare war, fight it and win it, Constitutionally. The Constitution isn't a platitude, it is supreme law of the land, and Ron Paul treats it that way.

klamath
11-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Do you have any evidence whatsoever to support your claims? This is the first I've heard of it, I'm a vet, am "froathing at the mouth anti-military people", as are numerous others i know on a personal level--and we ALL donated last quarter, as we do every quarter...

70 years of "defense posture" scrapped?

70 years of Military Industrial Complex having our Pentagon budget by the short and curlies scrapped is more like it. Name something that spending ever protected us from. History says it did not protect us from anything. What say you?

Please tell me my sarcasm meter is way off today.:confused:
Had people admit it. As far as the rest of it I don't even care about trying to explain it to you.

sailingaway
11-11-2011, 09:49 AM
when the bring up going to war with Iran, he better rebutts by asking them if they´ll go to war with North Korea too. Which already has nukes. And an even bigger nutjob as dictator.

Why stop with North Korea? The world was supposed to end if India or Pakistan got the nuclear bomb. It didn't. Should we have gone to war with India?

JamesButabi
11-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Ron has the knowledge. The problem has always been his image. Appearing strong and confident is just as important as what you say. Face it, if Americans relied on substance we would have this one in the bag already.

roversaurus
11-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Answer the question with a question. "How are you going to pay for it? Barrowing more money from China so that in a few years we have to vote on a austerity program dictated by them? Or are we going to pay for it by cutting grandma and grandpa's social security? What is your choice?

This for the win. Turn it back to economics. That is awesome.

ShaneEnochs
11-11-2011, 10:05 AM

"999"

Fixed that for you.

HOLLYWOOD
11-11-2011, 10:07 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by bronc_fan23 http://www.ronpaulforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=3733431#post3733431)

"999"

Fixed that for you.Symbols... for the Simple Minded. It has always worked throughout history on the masses.

XTreat
11-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Had people admit it. As far as the rest of it I don't even care about trying to explain it to you.

This is something I have speculated on myself, and was kinda dismayed that I thought maybe it was true.

Most of you know I am active duty though and I can tell you that their is a lot of support in our ranks. My whole office is either Ron Paul or apathy.

I do have some quisi-empirical evidence though that points to the fact that those who are saying they are military really are. The other day my friend who is prior military and a government contractor was over at my house when I was going through the FEC reports. He pointed out that the government contrators are high on the list of donors too. These include, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, Northrop Grumman. All of these are in the top 20 in donors. My point is these places employ almost entirely veterans and prior military members. While I can see some people of low integrity putting "Army" to boost RP's military donor numbers, I doubt that p[people are lying about working for Lockheed.

If you can see my line of thinking here, it means most likely these military numbers are pretty accurate.

skateguy50
11-11-2011, 12:19 PM
How do people that complain about Iraq being a failed war believe the EXACT same buildup towards wanting war against Iran? One thing he should push is not just that he is personally against unnecessary wars but we as a Nation should only go to war if the Congress votes for it as a measure of defense for American's.

Xelaetaks
11-11-2011, 12:22 PM
This for the win. Turn it back to economics. That is awesome.

Economics is good and all but people want reassurance that no ones gonna nuke us regardless of the cost imo.

coastie
11-11-2011, 12:38 PM
This is something I have speculated on myself, and was kinda dismayed that I thought maybe it was true.

Most of you know I am active duty though and I can tell you that their is a lot of support in our ranks. My whole office is either Ron Paul or apathy.

I do have some quisi-empirical evidence though that points to the fact that those who are saying they are military really are. The other day my friend who is prior military and a government contractor was over at my house when I was going through the FEC reports. He pointed out that the government contrators are high on the list of donors too. These include, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, Northrop Grumman. All of these are in the top 20 in donors. My point is these places employ almost entirely veterans and prior military members. While I can see some people of low integrity putting "Army" to boost RP's military donor numbers, I doubt that p[people are lying about working for Lockheed.

If you can see my line of thinking here, it means most likely these military numbers are pretty accurate.

^^this

But he "had people admit it",so there you go, it's all a big joke.. :p

tsai3904
11-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Wolf Blitzer will be moderating the debate.

Also, check out this promo video from AEI (one of the sponsors of the debate):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-BoUHYl9Tg

XTreat
11-11-2011, 12:55 PM

Also, check out this promo video from AEI (one of the sponsors of the debate):

Those are some sweet looking Kalashnikovs

klamath
11-11-2011, 01:00 PM

I do have some quisi-empirical evidence though that points to the fact that those who are saying they are military really are. The other day my friend who is prior military and a government contractor was over at my house when I was going through the FEC reports. He pointed out that the government contrators are high on the list of donors too. These include, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, Northrop Grumman. All of these are in the top 20 in donors. My point is these places employ almost entirely veterans and prior military members. While I can see some people of low integrity putting "Army" to boost RP's military donor numbers, I doubt that p[people are lying about working for Lockheed. I am a retired military veteran and put this down on donation forms.

I have no doubt RP gets a huge amount from the MIC and the military however with people trying to use this as a campaign to vendicate RP's foreign policy a certain percentage is getting gamed now. It helps to show RP has a lot of military support but it is not the panecea to sell RP's foreign policy.

ShaneEnochs
11-11-2011, 01:02 PM

What do you think his first question to Ron Paul will be? :rolleyes:

Fermli
11-11-2011, 01:06 PM
some people ITT getting the Nov 12th and Nov 22nd debates confused. Both are primarily foreign policy debates though.

11-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Those are some sweet looking Kalashnikovs

I wouldn't mind having one.

tsai3904
11-11-2011, 01:48 PM
some people ITT getting the Nov 12th and Nov 22nd debates confused. Both are primarily foreign policy debates though.

You're right...I got them mixed up. Wolf Blitzer will be moderating the Nov 22 debate.