PDA

View Full Version : Question about student loans

Xelaetaks
11-11-2011, 12:12 AM
What do you think is the answer to people worried about losing student loans?

I commented on YouTube that the prices could go to half what they are now and someone commented that "we would still need student loans". Just wonder what the answer is to how we would adress the topic of student loans to people concerned about losing them.

🇺🇸

tsai3904
11-11-2011, 12:21 AM
There's nothing inherently wrong with student loans. There's a problem when the loans are guaranteed by the government, which distorts the price of education.

If you assume prices are halved, students would be able to borrow some money and pay for the rest through work. Also, there still would be scholarships offered by private organizations. If prices do fall, those organizations would be able to help out more students.

VoluntaryAmerican
11-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Get a private loan? Scholarship?

If that doesn't work tell them:

To goto a cheaper school, community college, trade school. Or don't goto college. To say that you need student loans is absurd.
I currently goto a community college and I am not in debt from it. So it's possible, but very hard to goto school
and not be in debt.

Also really hammer away that its unsustainable and that our Government was never suppose to give student loans on such a scale;
I think currently students in the USA as a whole are 1trillion in debt and owe around 25-30k on average in debt. College Tuition has
raised 500% since financial aid for students occured.

So correlate that Government loans = more student debt and higher college costs.

If they still don't understand and agree - move to the next person.

Source: http://www.economist.com/node/21534792

phill4paul
11-11-2011, 12:24 AM
First let them know that Ron's plan isn't gonna end Pell Grants. Ending the Dept. of Education does not mean that certain programs will suddenly come to an end. He DOES want to eventually end them but to do that he is looking at the market to be able to correct itself first. Now this is for grants. The market will correct itself ONLY after the federal government ends its loan program. Tuition WILL drop when these programs end. It has been proven that tuition has escalated BECAUSE of these federal loans. Individuals then would be able to get college loans through private companies at competitive prices. Just like they would buy a car. Or a house.

revgen
11-11-2011, 12:24 AM
What I tell people is that my father went to college and graduated with no loans and no debt. He worked a part-time job while he attended school.

The cost of going to college will be reasonable if the government gets out of the way.

11-11-2011, 12:57 AM
People attended college in the US for almost 200 years without federal student loans. Why? Because it was affordable. They could work their way through school and have a degree with no debt. When the government gets involved in education the prices go up and the quality goes down because you remove the competition to deliver the best education at the lowest price. When on the government dole the educational institutions become complacent and greedy. Since the start of federal student loans, the cost of a college education has multiplied adjusted for inflation. If that's not a sign of a failed program, I don't know what is.

dannyh982
11-11-2011, 01:19 AM
My girlfriend got a student loan at her credit union...:rolleyes:

RonPaulFever
11-11-2011, 01:34 AM
Colleges and universities often base their tuition costs on predictions of how much federal aid the students will receive. If they want tuition to go down, government has to get out of the business of education.

djruden
11-11-2011, 01:39 AM
Would you rather be in debt to a bank which you can file bankruptcy and disolve or in debt to the government whom can send police or other federal agents after you and punish you for not paying?

I think the answer is obvious. Especially in a place where the prospect of getting a job once out of college is rapidly diminishing.

Jandrsn21
11-11-2011, 04:38 AM
Community colleges in my area were 1/3 cheaper. You take basic prerequisites there, make sure they transfer to the school you actually want to get your degree at. You work full time, live with your parents, and aggressively save your money. Once you can go no further with the community college, use your saved money, use pell grants, and continue to work and save. Yeah it sucks working full time and going to school full time, but I graduated with 4k in debt, and with the new job I got should have that paid off in 4 months!

Philosophy_of_Politics
11-11-2011, 04:43 AM
The entire point of Ron Paul's spending cuts, government shrinking, and getting the Fed out of State issues. Isn't just because of the Liberties and Tax reductions.

But because of the cost of living that will go drastically down by reducing inflation (brings the US Currency value up), which means we hopefully won't even need loans in the future to afford school.

John F Kennedy III
11-11-2011, 04:58 AM
Community colleges in my area were 1/3 cheaper. You take basic prerequisites there, make sure they transfer to the school you actually want to get your degree at. You work full time, live with your parents, and aggressively save your money. Once you can go no further with the community college, use your saved money, use pell grants, and continue to work and save. Yeah it sucks working full time and going to school full time, but I graduated with 4k in debt, and with the new job I got should have that paid off in 4 months!

Nice.

parocks
11-11-2011, 05:19 AM
What do you think is the answer to people worried about losing student loans?

I commented on YouTube that the prices could go to half what they are now and someone commented that "we would still need student loans". Just wonder what the answer is to how we would adress the topic of student loans to people concerned about losing them.

����

Won't banks be able to make student loans?

How about the states?

I haven't been paying much attention.

parocks
11-11-2011, 05:23 AM
Get a private loan? Scholarship?

If that doesn't work tell them:

To goto a cheaper school, community college, trade school. Or don't goto college. To say that you need student loans is absurd.
I currently goto a community college and I am not in debt from it. So it's possible, but very hard to goto school
and not be in debt.

Also really hammer away that its unsustainable and that our Government was never suppose to give student loans on such a scale;
I think currently students in the USA as a whole are 1trillion in debt and owe around 25-30k on average in debt. College Tuition has
raised 500% since financial aid for students occured.

So correlate that Government loans = more student debt and higher college costs.

If they still don't understand and agree - move to the next person.

Source: http://www.economist.com/node/21534792

Instead of going on to the next person, change the subject away from student loans.

BernardoEmerick
11-11-2011, 05:46 AM
I tryed to create a new thread in the "Campaing Suggestion Box" that, apparently, was rejected (I don't know why).

I did propose that Ron should start a "Ron Paul Lectures" series on youtube. That way, he could explain in details his plans, why he thinks they're necessary, what its consequences would be etc. And, as doubts comes to the surface, he could answer those that are important.

We all know that Ron depends on his message. Untill now, he had two ways of delivering it: his books and the media. But, let's face it, most people won't read his books or articles etc. And, on the other hand, he's mostly uneffective speaking to the media, because his answers demand a lot of time. He's usually interrupted while explaining his ideas. That's one reason why there are so many distortions about his goals.

This "students debt issue" is a clear example. He hasn't been able to explain his positions. We're, for the most part, guessing what his answers would be. His message must be clarified, and this cannot depend on the will of MSM.

So, I suggest that Ron creates this "Ron Paul Lectures". It's almost costless, but, I think, can have a huge impact.

Eric21ND
11-11-2011, 05:57 AM
There was a time in this country where one person could support their entire household on one income. Ron Paul would recreate that economic environment and there would be no shortage of good jobs, which a person could work and pay for college themselves and graduate without little or no debt.

parocks
11-11-2011, 06:21 AM
There was a time in this country where one person could support their entire household on one income. Ron Paul would recreate that economic environment and there would be no shortage of good jobs, which a person could work and pay for college themselves and graduate without little or no debt.

Men worked. Women stayed home.

There were no laws against discrimination. Employers could hire only men, only primary breadwinners.

One person could support their entire household. There weren't empty jobs. Women just weren't working.

Just a factor to consider.