PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul - Foreign Policy - review needed

anewvoice
11-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Tomorrow I will be posting this across my social networks and was hoping you all could provide a critique. Since I see the primary sticking point with GOP voters to be Ron Paul's foreign policy, I've written the following which I hope summarizes the main points. If I'm off, or misquoting something please let me know.

Ron Paul – The Rule of Law and War
In commemoration of Veterans Day I want to take a moment to hopefully provide some clarity on Ron Paul’s non-interventionist foreign policy. You see, Ron Paul receives more money from military personnel than all other GOP candidates combined, and a good deal more than Obama too. In fact Ron Paul’s top 3 donor employers are U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army and U.S. Navy!

My goal is to dispel a couple of misconceptions; Ron Paul is neither an isolationist nor a pacifist. Those that push for restricting trade and sanctions support isolationism and protectionism. Ron Paul encourages free trade and an honest offer of friendship to all countries that would accept it, and is strongly opposed to the presumed role of World Police that some insist we must be. Through most of the 20th century this was the prevailing conservative philosophy, a humble foreign policy and philosophy of peace.

Because Ron Paul is a proponent of peace, friendship, free trade and non-interventionism, some would label him a pacifist and unable to ensure the security of our country. Nothing could be further from the truth but you must also understand that Ron Paul will follow the Constitution while doing so.
The Constitution allows perfectly well for the United States to defend itself.

The Constitution requires a Congressional vote to authorize war.
- It is illegal, illogical and immoral for Congress to shirk this primary responsibility and violates the most basic elementary school premise of “checks and balances” thie government is built on.
Once approved President Ron Paul will ensure our troops have a clear objective, the tools necessary and can win the war, then bring them home.
Though largely lost to history, the Constitution also provides an exact mechanism by which to deal with engaging with a group rather than a country, the Letter of Marque and Reprisal, which Ron Paul proposed after 9/11.

As you would expect, the Constitution provides very well for our National Defense. This is the document that our military take an oath to protect, and as a military veteran himself, Ron Paul understands the meaning and importance of that oath.
Ron Paul is also guided by the concept of a Just War. The notion of pre-emptive war as deterrent or consequentialism (ends justify the means) are both found in stark contrast to the requirements of a Just War.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_War

While certainly many wars in history have been claimed as just and were not, and others not that were, but these fundamental concepts provide the foundation for a strong AND restrained foreign policy. We are to believe that having ceded its responsibility to the Executive branch to act and execute wars that this illegal privilege will not be abused? We needn’t look further than the current administration waging undeclared wars at the behest of a foreign entity without so much as a nod to the proper authority.

Ron Paul is against illegal, immoral and unnecessary war, which is something I would hope we all have in common. Ron Paul is also for a strong National Defense, a return of our troops to our lands, to protect our country and our borders. He works to ensure our veterans receive the care, the benefits and honors they have earned when they return home.

I hope you will join me today in support of Ron Paul by donating to the Veterans Day Money Bomb, support the candidate which receives the most support from our military!

https://secure.ronpaul2012.com/

harikaried
11-10-2011, 06:14 PM
You're looking for "Letter of Marque and Reprisal"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_of_marque
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_One_of_the_United_States_Constitution#Sect ion_8:_Powers_of_Congress

anewvoice
11-10-2011, 06:27 PM
You're looking for "Letter of Marque and Reprisal"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_of_marque
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_One_of_the_United_States_Constitution#Sect ion_8:_Powers_of_Congress

Nice catch, damn extra e. :)

I feel like I really should not have to review basic principles, but with so many folks uninformed or misinformed I couldn't think of a better way than at its core. I think I won someone over yesterday.

11-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Did a little editing for you to help you make your points a bit clearer. If you like it feel free to use it.

Ron Paul – The Rule of Law and War

In commemoration of Veterans Day I would like to take a moment to hopefully provide some clarity on Ron Paul’s non-interventionist foreign policy. Ron Paul receives more money from military personnel than all other GOP candidates combined, and a good deal more than Obama too. The top 3 employers of Ron Paul's donors are U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army and U.S. Navy!

My goal is to dispel a couple of common misconceptions. Ron Paul is neither an isolationist nor a pacifist. Those that push for restricting trade and sanctions support isolationism and protectionism. Ron Paul encourages free trade and an honest offer of friendship to all countries that would accept it. He is strongly opposed to the presumed role of a world police force that some insist we must be. Throughout most of the 20th century, the prevailing conservative philosophy was a humble foreign policy and philosophy of peace. Ron Paul will return our country to this philosophy.

Because Ron Paul is a proponent of peace, friendship, free trade and non-interventionism, some would label him a pacifist and unable to ensure the security of our country. Nothing could be further from the truth. Ron Paul will uphold the Constitution while defending our country.

The Constitution requires a Congressional vote to authorize war. It is illegal, illogical and immoral for Congress to shirk this primary responsibility. It violates the system of checks and balances that our government is built on when the president engages in hostilities without congressional approval. Once receiving congressional approval for war, President Ron Paul will ensure our troops have a clear objective and the tools necessary to win. He will then bring them home as rapidly as possible.

Though largely lost to history, the Constitution provides a mechanism to deal with engaging a group, rather than a country, Letters of Marquee and Reprisal. Ron Paul proposed the revival of letters of Marque in response to the 9/11 attacks.

As you would expect, the Constitution has provisions for our National Defense. It is the document that our military take an oath to protect. As a military veteran, Ron Paul understands the meaning and importance of that oath.

Ron Paul is guided by the concept of a Just War. The notion of pre-emptive war as deterrent or consequentialism (ends justify the means) are both in stark contrast to the requirements of a Just War. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_War

Many wars in history have been claimed as just and were not, and others not that were. The fundamental concepts laid out in our constitution provide the foundation for a strong AND restrained foreign policy. When congress cedes it's responsibility to declare war to the executive branch, this illegal privilege will be abused. We needn’t look further than the current administration waging undeclared wars at the behest of a foreign entity, without so much as a nod to the proper authority to see the consequences of this.

Ron Paul is against illegal, immoral and unnecessary war, which is something I would hope we all have in common. Ron Paul is also for a strong nation defense. He advocates a return of our troops to our lands, to protect our country and our borders. He works to ensure our veterans receive the care, the benefits and honors they have earned when they return home.

I hope you will join me today in support of Ron Paul by donating to the Veterans Day Money Bomb and support the candidate which receives the most support from our military!