PDA

View Full Version : JUST SPOKE WITH TOM BEAUMONT at the Des Moines Register

freelance
11-06-2007, 01:40 PM
I just spoke with Tom Beaumont at the Des Moines Register.

He wrote his article based on a press release that he received from the GOP. He read me the release and is e-mailing me the release.

Anyway, I made him read portions of the press release to me over and over again.

It was a bit ambiguous, and by changing the word "and" to "or," Ron Paul would have been in the debates. Unfortunately, upon reading the whole sentence three times, he determined that he had made a mistake, and that Ron Paul has to EITHER garner 5% in the polls of their (GOP/FOX) choosing OR garner 5% in the ARG AND Des Moines Register polls.

I told him that I would post this on the forums and that I hope to stop any phone calls by explaining all of this.

I don't remember IA vs. national; I was just trying to see if the article was accurate as written, and IT IS NOT!

BTW, even if the word had been or, Ron Paul only garnered 4% in the latest Des Moines Register poll.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071007/NEWS09/71005048/-1/caucus

MsDoodahs
11-06-2007, 01:42 PM
I recalled that there was an either/or part in what Carolyn at the Iowa GOP HQ said to me, too.

freelance
11-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Well, the fact that he was only at 4% in the Des Moines register...

Taco John
We need to find out how we can get our supporters in Iowa in their database of likely voters...

adpierce
Well Ron Paul will be in the white house before Fox gives him 5 percent. As to the ARG and Des Moines Register Polls... that's a little bit more likely, but will still require a lot of work here in Iowa. We'll bump up the grassroots.

freelance
11-06-2007, 01:44 PM
As to the ARG and Des Moines Register Polls... that's a little bit more likely, but will still require a lot of work here in Iowa.

Do we know if they will poll again before the debate? How do we find out?

dircha
11-06-2007, 01:45 PM
We need to find out how we can get our supporters in Iowa in their database of likely voters...

Wouldn't a better approach be to work hard over the next 20 days to expand our base of support in Iowa?

They're not going to change their polling techniques to accommodate us.

Taco John
11-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Wouldn't a better approach be to work hard over the next 20 days to expand our base of support in Iowa?

They're not going to change their polling techniques to accommodate us.

We're not asking them to change their polling techniques... We're asking them to include us in their database of likely primary voters. It's legitimate.

UtahApocalypse
11-06-2007, 01:46 PM
What if Fox news decides that the CURRENT poll numbers are whats used. They make the rules and can easily say now is the time they need to decide for "logistical" purposes.

freelance
11-06-2007, 01:47 PM
We're asking them to include us in their database of likely primary voters. It's legitimate.

If it changes their methodology, we have a better chance of teaching pigs to fly.

MsDoodahs
11-06-2007, 01:47 PM
ARG has him polling at only 1% in Iowa.

freelance
11-06-2007, 01:48 PM
What if Fox news decides that the CURRENT poll numbers are whats used. They make the rules and can easily say now is the time they need to decide for "logistical" purposes.

Well, exactly. Even if we know the rules today, there's no guarantee that they won't change them tomorrow.

thomj76
11-06-2007, 01:48 PM
In my opinion, if he is excluded, we need to hold an event outside and converge on Iowa to demonstrate support.

Austin
11-06-2007, 01:49 PM
I think it would be better if he polled under the 5%. That way, when FOX refuses to let him participate, he would get even more coverage. Obviously, yesterday proved that we aren't playing around anymore. We want Ron Paul to be our President.

If FOX were to reject Paul, it would be a dire mistake for them.

LibertyEagle
11-06-2007, 01:53 PM
So, we still don't know if they're talking about an Iowa poll or a national poll. Is that right?

Tom29
11-06-2007, 01:57 PM
I think it would be better if he polled under the 5%. That way, when FOX refuses to let him participate, he would get even more coverage. Obviously, yesterday proved that we aren't playing around anymore. We want Ron Paul to be our President.

I agree.

freelance
11-06-2007, 02:01 PM
So, we still don't know if they're talking about an Iowa poll or a national poll. Is that right?

LE, here's from the PR:

Garnered at least 5% of the national electorate as determined by an average of the most recent national telephone polls of registered voters conducted by non-partisan public opinion polling organizations leading up to the registration deadline as determined by Fox News Channel and the Republican Party of Iowa or garnered an average of at least 5% in the most recent polls of Iowa voters conducted by the American Research Group and the Des Moines Register.

Note the as determined part. That's the operative part. IOW, whatever-the-hell we deem as the polls we want to use.

The Dane
11-06-2007, 02:21 PM

Indeed.

terlinguatx
11-06-2007, 02:22 PM

freelance
11-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post

You can't if it changes their methodology, and their methodology calls for voters who voted in the last pres. R primary. What you're trying to do is like changing what a red light means to what a green light means.

The only way at this point is to convert those in THEIR database.

The Dane
11-06-2007, 02:27 PM
You can't if it changes their methodology, and their methodology calls for voters who voted in the last pres. R primary. What you're trying to do is like changing what a red light means to what a green light means.

The only way at this point is to convert those in THEIR database.

Yes thats what i thought Taco John wrote. We should go for their database. Somehow i doubt that they have all participants of the two previous republican primaries in their database. Who knows about this?

freelance
11-06-2007, 02:30 PM
So, how do we get that database? Aren't voting records public, in terms of which primary they voted in last time around?

fj45lvr
11-06-2007, 02:39 PM

I think everyone should COME TO A REALIZATION.

This is NOT about Paul and his candidacy but only INDIRECTLY.

This is about US and our DUTY to secure our SECURITY and HAPPINESS.

What we are up against is IMMORAL and CORRUPT (stealing, cheating, killing) all to enable the sustanance of the EMPIRE and its Beneficiaries.

This is NOT about a disgruntled campaign for an OFFICE.

troyd1
11-06-2007, 02:51 PM
I think it might be better if he is excluded. The debates have not been getting much coverage anyway, but imagine the protests that will happen if he is excluded. We could probably get 10 or 20 thousand people rallying at the debates.

bbachtung
11-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Schedule a competing interview live from Des Moines by Chris Matthews / Hardball?

bbachtung
11-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Even better: run ONLY ads for RP at every commercial break during the debate (they can be localized to just Iowa Fox News by cable provider); in other words, buy all of the ad time during the debate for Iowa.

walt
11-06-2007, 02:56 PM
hey be nice to the media - that will work - NOT

freelance
11-06-2007, 03:00 PM
How about scheduling a town hall meeting?

Hook
11-06-2007, 03:28 PM
How about we all buy tickets and protest during the entire debate. If we are the entire audience, that should put a damper on things :D

sandersondavis
11-06-2007, 08:49 PM
How about we all buy tickets and protest during the entire debate. If we are the entire audience, that should put a damper on things :D

They would just clear the audience and have the debate anyway. Home viewers probably won't notice lack of an audience. I'm not trying to be negative. Just trying to think of their counter move.

Hook
11-06-2007, 09:12 PM
It would take a long time to clear an audience if they fought back.

Pauliana
11-06-2007, 09:19 PM
I wonder how their little debate will go without the Ron Paul ratings bump...

Pauliana
11-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Even better: run ONLY ads for RP at every commercial break during the debate (they can be localized to just Iowa Fox News by cable provider); in other words, buy all of the ad time during the debate for Iowa.

Better to use the ad dollars to sponsor things we like. C'mon people. We have to USE our power now.

Tratzman
11-06-2007, 09:29 PM
I think it might be better if he is excluded. The debates have not been getting much coverage anyway, but imagine the protests that will happen if he is excluded. We could probably get 10 or 20 thousand people rallying at the debates.

Bingo!! Maybe he should just decline the debate and hold a rally there instead. It could have the potential to be MASSIVE!!!

Chad

Wyurm
11-06-2007, 09:30 PM
I wonder why they feel safe with angering us? Something feels really fishy about this. Remember, they had thought about doing this type of thing before and didn't because they realized it would just help promote RP. So what gives now?

Cowlesy
11-06-2007, 09:41 PM
The bottomline to me is we need to get Ron more name recognition, period.

I was just in Iowa for a week on a hunting trip, and no one I talked to had even heard of Ron Paul. It's not because they have cardboard boxes for TV's or wind-up radios, it's because these people are absolutely inundated by the other candidates. Also in Iowa, when you have to go somewhere, it's rarely ever a walk down sidewalk, it's a couple mile drive, and so everyone I knew used XM or Sirius Satellite radio which excludes a lot of folks from hearing his radio ads. When you watch TV, it's John Edwards John Edwards Bill Richardson Bill Richardson (I swear he's got to be betting the farm on Iowa with his amount of ads), and everyday in the mail they get fancy fliers from Hillary, Obama, Romney and Edwards. In fact, the people we stayed with who were Dems even got two automated calls from Hillary announcing events.

Look the campaign has staff on the ground in Iowa, and no doubt they have a plan and are working tirelessly to get the message out, but it is still an uphill battle.

I think this outburst of fundraising is going to be a godsend because when you couple it with the grassroots efforts on the ground, it adds the nitro to really get the message delivered so that the people are more than just passively paying attention when they receive it.

Instead of driving the Iowa GOP insane and making them absolutely loathe Ron Paul and his supporters, why don't Iowans here find out from Ron's Iowa people what they could use help with, and they bring out the grassroots guns?

Look at this a drive up the football field. We consistently run the ball good for small yardage...every now and then throw a 10-15yard pass....but if we make everyone in Iowa insane about this, it's like a Chad Pennington hail-mary to the end-zone that is guaranteed to blow the drive.

Let's play this smart, and get Ron up to 10% by the end of November instead of 5%.

Buzz
11-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Remember what happened the last time Paul was excluded from a debate in Iowa?