PDA

View Full Version : Herman Cain Cain and trouble with FOX News

Dianne
11-10-2011, 09:57 AM
politico.com[/url]

Herman Cain’s attempt to turn a series of sexual harassment complaints into a purely partisan issue has hit an unexpected roadblock - the Fox News Channel, where reporters and some commentators have pressed him hard for details and even offered a platform to one of his accusers on the most important media stage of the Republican primary.

While some of Fox’s evening hosts and commentators have been sympathetic to Cain’s suggestion that he’s the victim of a racial or partisan media vendetta, others have been skeptical of his claims from the moment his spokesman, J.D. Gordon, tried to use “Geraldo at Large” to damp down the story the day POLITICO broke the news. The appearance instead offered host Geraldo Rivera an opportunity to declare open season, a moment which launched the narrative of the campaign’s unsteady response.

“He may deserve better than this J.D. Gordon, spokesman for the Cain campaign,” Rivera declaimed. “But I want your denial, if you would, to be a little more substantive.”Later that evening, host Sean Hannity offered the bombthrower Ann Coulter a platform for the opposite view - a moment that launched a competing narrative, one in which Cain was being attacked by sinister and presumably racist media forces. “Herman Cain and Clarence Thomas used the term, high-tech lynching,” he observed, and Coulter chimed in that the news is “coming from the exact same people who used to do it with the lynching ropes, now they do it with the word processors.”

Fox is a hub of Republican opinion, employing many of the party’s key figures to shape its large, right-leaning audience’s views of the White House and the Republican field. Fox hosts have, at times, challenged other Republican presidential candidates, with Bill O’Reilly grilling Michele Bachmann, and both Fox News Sunday host Chris Wallace and Special Report host Bret Baier calling on Mitt Romney to stop dodging their shows. Cain has been among its most regular guests – he’s appeared on Fox more than any of his rivals, according to the liberal, anti-Fox Media Matters, which tracks the appearances obsessively.

But while Fox at times shapes conservative opinion, it’s also a mirror of its audience and its conservative pundits and right-leaning news division. And Cain’s Fox problem is the same as his more basic problem: conservatives are split on whether he deserves defending. And so the network coverage of the story has been far from sympathetic, and has depended on the personality holding the floor. Two days after the story broke, during an interview with Cain, Charles Krauthammer told the candidate that his defenses sounded “Clintonian.” Fox has also given air time to Cain accuser Sharon Bialek, and daytime debates on media bias have featured analysts who fall on either side of the issue.

Fox’s treatment of the story come as an unpleasant surprise to supporters of the former Godfather’s Pizza CEO.

Read more: hxxp://www.politico.com/news/stories/1111/68040.html#ixzz1dJnqImbX

seapilot
11-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Fox’s treatment of the story come as an unpleasant surprise to supporters of the former Federal Reserve Chairman.

There fixed it. That one detail if always substituted for Godfathers pizza would drop him at least 10% in the polls.

InTradePro
11-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Break the link.

specsaregood
11-10-2011, 10:49 AM
I have a feeling that a lot of the hot blonds working as fox talking heads can see right through his B.S. and aren't exactly willing to cover for him.

georgiaboy
11-10-2011, 11:05 AM
From the comments:

MOMMYLINDA - I like Cain, and I considered myself a Hermanator after Perry melted down. But now I am holding back my judgement. Our caucus in Kansas is not until March, and I figure that this story will play itself out by then.

I will be voting Republican in 2012, although I dont know that it matters. The only time I remember Kansas not voting Republican for President was 1964, and even then, my county went for Goldwater. Nobody even polls here anymore.

I just don't know what to do. Our 2 kids and their spouses (20 and 30 somethings) are Ron Paul fans. Some of them are actually registered Libertarians. They both own small business and are VERY CYNICAL about either party. Does not speak well for the future, I think

MommyLinda, rest assured that supporting Ron Paul, the only republican in the bunch, is speaking VERY WELL for the future, both for the Republican Party, for you, your kids, your future grandkids, and for America! Find that 1964 Goldwater fire, hold your head high, and join us!

Dianne
11-10-2011, 11:15 AM
I started watching FOX immediately when I read this story to see who the new flavor of the week is... and Cain's name has not been mentioned once !!!!! Before the story broke, Cain's name was mentioned probably 5 or 6 times an hour.

Today they are talking about the Perry mess up, and Mitt Romney....... only those two.

Dianne
11-10-2011, 11:17 AM
From the comments:

MommyLinda, rest assured that supporting Ron Paul, the only republican in the bunch, is speaking VERY WELL for the future, both for the Republican Party, for you, your kids, your future grandkids, and for America! Find that 1964 Goldwater fire, hold your head high, and join us!

If her family are for Paul, they will convince her to go that way. You know the power of a Paul supporter; they never quit !!

aclove
11-10-2011, 11:26 AM
She said her county went for Goldwater...she didn't say she went for Goldwater.

Dianne
11-10-2011, 11:27 AM
I just checked the FOX website and no longer see pics of Cain splattered all over the page. Everyone in the media are speculating this scandel is far worse than what it now appears, and that more will come forward accusing Cain. I guess FOX no longer wishes to PROMOTE a candidate that tries to rape women, lol..

If this is truly the case, Cain will be on a free fall sooner than later. Ron Paul supporters have learned the ground game, since we never expect to get media coverage for our candidate. Cain's disorganized team depends on it.