PDA

View Full Version : WTF: Bernanke holding "town hall" style event at US Army base

amy31416
11-10-2011, 04:28 AM
If there were a "WTF" subforum, this would be there.

More at link: http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2011/11/09/bernanke-to-visit-texas-army-base-as-fed-faces-weak-support/

Bernanke to Visit Army Base, as Fed Faces Weak Support

EL PASO, TX. – Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke will visit an Army base in Texas on Thursday for a financial literacy event with trappings of a campaign stump, as the central bank faces weak support in voter polls and is under attack by politicians on the right and the left.
Among other activities at Ft. Bliss in El Paso, Bernanke is scheduled to greet soldiers returning from duty in Iraq and to hold a town hall meeting with Army families. It is Bernanke's first visit to Texas and to an Army base; a Fed historian said he could not recall a Fed chairman ever visiting a military installation.

While officials said the trip was instigated by base commanders, some Fed-watchers think the timing and venue are no coincidence -- the Fed is under attack from two prominent Texas politicians running for the Republican presidential nomination, Gov. Rick Perry and Rep. Ron Paul.
In August, Perry suggested Bernanke's push for significant monetary easing to help the economy was "treasonous" and that Bernanke would get an "ugly" reception in Texas. Paul, a libertarian, wants to abolish the Fed altogether.
"It's going right into the belly of the beast," said Stan Collender, a partner with Qorvis Communications in Washington, D.C., who specializes in financial public relations. "Make no doubt about it--this is a political campaign by the Fed to endear itself to voters, to explain itself a little bit further...The Fed has to establish its credentials--or reestablish its credentials--in a way that people understand what it does, appreciate what it does, and understand that it's working for them...(not) just for Wall Street."
A Fed spokesperson declined to comment for the record on any political implications of Bernanke's trip. The Associated Press quoted Fed officials as saying that Ft. Bliss was chosen because it has a successful financial literacy program that Bernanke wants to highlight.

bluesc
11-10-2011, 04:35 AM
Ron Paul created this problem for Bernanke, and it is one of my favorite things to come out of the '07 campaign. Ron loves it as well.

Athan
11-10-2011, 10:11 AM
These guys did it without informing Texans they were coming beforehand. They don't want the reception they would get if they announced this trip to the middle of Texas (VERY few population numbers in the west) with notice that he was visiting.

Bravery isn't very becoming of him is it?

jkr
11-10-2011, 10:47 AM
AH, the king is visiting the troops!

good show ole bean!

Acala
11-10-2011, 10:51 AM
And the circle closes

Central banking=endless war

BattleFlag1776
11-10-2011, 10:59 AM
AH, the king is visiting the troops!

good show ole bean!

No doubt!

Kylie
11-10-2011, 11:37 AM
And the circle closes

Central banking=endless war

This!

oyarde
11-10-2011, 12:07 PM
This is strange, Bernake doing public relations ....

donnay
11-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Maybe he is giving the troops orders for when they call for Martial Law! The Federal Reserve is a run-a-way train, I think they know they cannot stop the inevitable.

oyarde
11-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Why Bliss ? One million acres , Who is he speaking to ? The German Air Force Air Defense Center maybe ... :)

Kludge
11-10-2011, 12:14 PM
So... Bernanke will be boosting soldiers' morale.... I wonder how that'll work.

... Maybe he'll copy Yoram Bauman's "Bumper Stickers" routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKBKLeTZbM4

oyarde
11-10-2011, 12:15 PM
I thought the troops rated better , why not get the USO to bring in someone entertaining ?

oyarde
11-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Back in the day , when I was a youngster , we just called it White Sands .

ShaneEnochs
11-10-2011, 12:21 PM
I don't understand this. The FED is pretty much untouchable unless the government steps in. Why would Bernanke worry about public image?

bluesc
11-10-2011, 12:23 PM
I don't understand this. The FED is pretty much untouchable unless the government steps in. Why would Bernanke worry about public image?

Because of Ron Paul bringing him into the public light and turning his approval ratings upside down. There was an interview recently where he sounded pretty pleased about it.

oyarde
11-10-2011, 12:24 PM
I don't understand this. The FED is pretty much untouchable unless the government steps in. Why would Bernanke worry about public image? I do not get it ....

fisharmor
11-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Financial literacy?
"Just remember, when you're all called on to fire on fellow citizens on American soil, it's because they don't understand how this works."

oyarde
11-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Maybe he is giving the troops orders for when they call for Martial Law! The Federal Reserve is a run-a-way train, I think they know they cannot stop the inevitable. That is also the base where most of the foreign troops recieve training ...

ShaneEnochs
11-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Because of Ron Paul bringing him into the public light and turning his approval ratings upside down. There was an interview recently where he sounded pretty pleased about it.

So what, though? What does public approval have anything to do with him?

bluesc
11-10-2011, 12:33 PM

Ask Ron, he's the one who mentioned it and explained it that way. Maybe Bernanke has low self esteem?

amy31416
11-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Maybe he is giving the troops orders for when they call for Martial Law! The Federal Reserve is a run-a-way train, I think they know they cannot stop the inevitable.

When I read this article, I happened to have mah trusty ole tinfoil hat on, and it did occur to me that the Fed has been singled out among two major protest groups from the left and the right. They're under the microscope more than they've ever been in their existence.

oyarde
11-10-2011, 12:42 PM
When I read this article, I happened to have mah trusty ole tinfoil hat on, and it did occur to me that the Fed has been singled out among two major protest groups from the left and the right. They're under the microscope more than they've ever been in their existence. I need to get one of those hats ;)

BattleFlag1776
11-10-2011, 12:45 PM

It’s damage control. Active duty military tends to vote one way: Republican—and based on donations their Republican candidate says END THE FED!

About 30 min ago, CNBC was giving a recap of the Bernanke visit and said that he addressed the possibility of both returning to the gold standard and the outright ending of the Fed. They cited Bernanke having to do so because of the public’s image of the Fed as an institution overall and the lack of support for the Fed exhibited during the debate last night, etc., etc.

Bottom line is this: Since the President of the US nominates the Fed Chairman; Bernanke knows his days are numbered.

oyarde
11-10-2011, 12:46 PM
When I read this article, I happened to have mah trusty ole tinfoil hat on, and it did occur to me that the Fed has been singled out among two major protest groups from the left and the right. They're under the microscope more than they've ever been in their existence. Yeah , not seeing him being much of a hit with those young soldiers .

oyarde
11-10-2011, 12:47 PM
It’s damage control. Active duty military tends to vote one way: Republican—and based on donations their Republican candidate says END THE FED!

About 30 min ago, CNBC was giving a recap of the Bernanke visit and said that he addressed the possibility of both returning to the gold standard and the outright ending of the Fed. They cited Bernanke having to do so because of the public’s image of the Fed as an institution overall and the lack of support for the Fed exhibited during the debate last night, etc., etc.

Bottom line is this: Since the President of the US nominates the Fed Chairman; Bernanke knows his days are numbered. Well , I hope someone gave him a copy of End The Fed , he is mentioned ;)

AGRP
11-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Oh yay. Time to personalize the Fed. Who's willing to bet that Ben's family is currently undergoing a makeover and taking strenuous classes on how to pull the heart strings of the sheep so they can be wheeled out as well. You wouldnt want to end the fed now would you? Hes got a wife, family, including several adorable grandchildren!