PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Iowa Debate - everything is alright !? *NEW INFO*

maxmerkel
11-06-2007, 01:18 PM
i'll update this post as the story develops.

v2:
http://blogs.dmregister.com/?p=9788
--
It was unclear who would attend, although only those candidates who had support of at least 5 percent of those surveyed in recent national polls or The Des Moines Register’s Iowa Poll are invited, Iowa GOP officials said.

That would include former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, Arizona Sen. John McCain, U.S. Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson. It could leave out U.S. Reps. Duncan Hunter of California and Tom Tancredo of Colorado.
--
????
but latest des moins register poll data is here : http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=iowapoll07

ron paul: 4%

this looks like we have to really go"all in" in iowa :/

##################
v3:

the correct press release is out now : http://www.iowagop.net/shownews.asp?artid=33

"Garnered at least 5% of the national electorate as determined by an average of the most recent national telephone polls of registered voters conducted by non-partisan public opinion polling organizations leading up to the registration deadline as determined by Fox News Channel and the Republican Party of Iowa or garnered an average of at least 5% in the most recent polls of Iowa voters conducted by the American Research Group and the Des Moines Register."

Des. Reg. Poll: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=iowapoll07
ron paul: 4%

ARG Poll: http://americanresearchgroup.com/pres08/iarep8-711.html
ron paul: 1%

we have some convincing to do, either gop/fox-wise or voter-wise.

Karsten
11-06-2007, 01:20 PM
That would include former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, Arizona Sen. John McCain, U.S. Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson. It could leave out U.S. Reps. Duncan Hunter of California and Tom Tancredo of Colorado.

ARealConservative
11-06-2007, 01:21 PM
http://blogs.dmregister.com/?p=9788
??

--
It was unclear who would attend, although only those candidates who had support of at least 5 percent of those surveyed in recent national polls or The Des Moines Register’s Iowa Poll are invited, Iowa GOP officials said.

--

a blog post is not contractually binding.

I spoke to the head of my county GOP - he indicated exclusion is based on yet to be administered polls.

micahnelson
11-06-2007, 01:21 PM
This is good news. Please ignore it... =)

maxmerkel
11-06-2007, 01:22 PM
a blog post is not contractually binding.

I spoke to the head of my county GOP - he indicated exclusion is based on yet to be administered polls.

ok, then let's make sure he get's the required polling numbers :cool:

freelance
11-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Has ANYONE with an in at HQ given them a call?

Karsten
11-06-2007, 01:23 PM
http://www.usaelectionpolls.com/2008/articles/ron-paul-fundraising-suggests-15-percent.html

He's at 5% nationally. He will only continue to rise.

ARealConservative
11-06-2007, 01:24 PM
ok, then let's make sure he get's the required polling numbers :cool:

Agreed.

Apparently getting people on the same page about what is real news is more difficult then it should be though.

Which is me giving another heart felt apology to Taco John for the behavior of some of the people around here.

maxmerkel
11-06-2007, 01:24 PM
http://www.usaelectionpolls.com/2008/articles/ron-paul-fundraising-suggests-15-percent.html

i doubt Iowa gop and fox will use this as polling data :(

freelance
11-06-2007, 01:25 PM

That's a CNN poll, and they're not using the CNN poll.

Taco John
11-06-2007, 01:26 PM
This is not new information... This is disinformation.

We currently don't qualify under the new rules. They purposefully are tyring to trick us into a false sense of confidence. They don't want to see us put a serious push into Iowa.

paulitics
11-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Will fox risk the blowback realizing that
1) RP is at 5% in some polls
2) We raise more than anyone else.
3) We win the straw polls

belian78
11-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Agreed.

Apparently getting people on the same page about what is real news is more difficult then it should be though.

Which is me giving another heart felt apology to Taco John for the behavior of some of the people around here.

i went after him too. and i apologized for it. :o

MsDoodahs
11-06-2007, 01:28 PM
When I spoke to Carolyn at the Iowa GOP office a little bit ago, I am pretty sure she said that Faux News gets to decide which polls to use to determine the 5%.

Karsten
11-06-2007, 01:28 PM
That's a CNN poll, and they're not using the CNN poll.

Perhaps not, but my point is he IS at 5% now nationally and he will only continue to RISE!

So no need to worry.

Taco John
11-06-2007, 01:29 PM

God THANK YOU!

I've sat here for two hours trying to keep people on message but everybody insists on parrotting the disinformation! And the mods here aren't helping out either.

They have a knife to our throats. Dr. Paul's strategy surrounds Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, Michigan, and South Carolina.

If we lose this battle, we have very little hope of being the Republican Nominee.

maxmerkel
11-06-2007, 01:30 PM
This is not new information... This is disinformation.

We currently don't qualify under the new rules. They purposefully are tyring to trick us into a false sense of confidence. They don't want to see us put a serious push into Iowa.

its not disinfo. it's clear that ron paul is *just* above 5%, and that we need to contact a lot of iowans to make sure dr. paul has secured the debate.

Taco John
11-06-2007, 01:30 PM
These are the key polls. If the debate were held tomorrow, Dr. Paul would be disqualified.

Fox News National Poll:

Ron Paul polled at 1%

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/102507_politics_release_web.pdf

Iowa Polls:

Ron Paul polled at 4% in the last Des Moines Register poll
Ron Paul polled at 1% in the last ARG Poll

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071007/NEWS09/71005048/-1/caucus

http://americanresearchgroup.com/pres08/iarep8-711.html

Apparently there's another round of polling that will decide it. I don't know when it is though...

Ozwest
11-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Faux news needs to be contacted by HQ and questioned as to the objective criteria they will use in the decision making process as to debate attedence requirements. Until this is established, we are in a position of vulnerability and any strategies we may employ are based on conjecture.

maxmerkel
11-06-2007, 01:44 PM
These are the key polls. If the debate were held tomorrow, Dr. Paul would be disqualified.

Fox News National Poll:

Ron Paul polled at 1%

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/102507_politics_release_web.pdf

Iowa Polls:

Ron Paul polled at 4% in the last Des Moines Register poll
Ron Paul polled at 1% in the last ARG Poll

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071007/NEWS09/71005048/-1/caucus

http://americanresearchgroup.com/pres08/iarep8-711.html

Apparently there's another round of polling that will decide it. I don't know when it is though...

thanx ! :(
i updated the threat title/first post to reflect this

Taco John
11-06-2007, 01:44 PM
its not disinfo. it's clear that ron paul is *just* above 5%, and that we need to contact a lot of iowans to make sure dr. paul has secured the debate.

No he's not... Not in the polls that count...

Nefertiti
11-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Keep your eyes on the prize. Whether he is in the debate or not, no matter what he is polling, we want him to win the Iowa caucus. I don't think we are anywhere near having the caucus locked up so polls or no polls debates or no debates, calling Iowans and spreading his message is a GOOD idea. Go ahead, organize the calls for the good of getting him elected, and we will get the polls and the debates as an extra bonus. The campaign should have access to a database of those who voted in the primaries last time-someone should contact them about getting a hold of this and calling these people first as they are the most likely to be polled, but calling more than the list wouldn't hurt either if we want to win the caucus. No need to divide over Fox News. We should be united on getting Iowans to support him-period!

Taco John
11-06-2007, 01:48 PM
We can forget the Iowa Caucus and the Republican Nomination if we are excluded from this debate. Iowans are very practical people, and will not vote for a candidate that they perceive to be a Nader.

terlinguatx
11-06-2007, 01:51 PM

ARealConservative
11-06-2007, 01:53 PM
They should add an IQ qualifying threshold of 100 to exclude Thompson

That would exempt all Guliani supporters as well. Make it so.

Seanmc30
11-06-2007, 01:53 PM
I think they know there will be some trouble if they don't let him in the debate. Paul has accomplished way to much to just be excluded.

Actually if he were to be excluded, that might just be the publicity one of the other networks, like NBC, who has been foaming at the mouth to destroy Fox and all their disinformation.

Wishful thinking I guess, but I just want this guy to have a fair chance...I think he has earned it.

Duckman
11-06-2007, 02:02 PM
The last time they tried to shut us out of a debate it was good for us, remember.

I agree we need to get the poll numbers up. I know we have alot of supporters who don't show up in these polls, but I doubt we can stand any chance of winning the nomination unless RP polls in double digits nationally.

On a different topic, I think we should be wary of using civil disobedience as a way to force us into the debate. Remember, Republican voters do not like rabble rousers. If they see a bunch of angry kids protesting or being arrested in front of the debate hall I think it will be a big turn off.

Taco John
11-06-2007, 02:04 PM
The last time they tried to shut us out of a debate it was good for us, remember.

It won't be this time. Even if we staged a rally, they wouldn't cover it.

bootstrap
11-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Okay, this is $$$insane$$$. I admit it. But I dare post it anyway.

What does 30 minutes of national television cost?

If we are shafted by FOX and Ron Paul is not in the Iowa debate, how much would it cost to buy the 15 minutes *before* the debate AND 15 minutes *after* the debate to promote Ron Paul --- both his most important positions PLUS inform everyone how the election is being tampered with by FOX?

bbachtung
11-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Here's the official announcement by the Iowa GOP:

(xxx) xxx-xxxx November 6, 2007

Republican Party of Iowa to host

presidential debate in DES MOINES

Debate to be nationally televised by FOX NEWS CHANNEL

The Republican Party of Iowa announced today that it will hold its presidential debate at Hy-Vee Hall in downtown Des Moines. The event, to be held the evening of December 4, 2007, will be the first debate in Iowa to be televised by FOX News Channel this election season, as well as the first debate sponsored by the Republican Party of Iowa.

Republican Party of Iowa Chairman Ray Hoffmann said, "With the caucuses less than a month away, our December 4 debate will be very telling to Iowans and the nation. We are thrilled to be having this event in central Iowa, and right in downtown Des Moines which will be the epicenter on caucus night."

The debate will be limited to those candidates who have satisfied the following criteria:

1. Announced a formal campaign for President: and

2. Filed the necessary paperwork with the Federal Election Commission; and

3. Met all U.S. constitutional requirements; and

4. Garnered at least 5% of the national electorate as determined by an average of the most recent national telephone polls of registered voters conducted by non-partisan public opinion polling organizations leading up to the registration deadline as determined by Fox News Channel and the Republican Party of Iowa or garnered an average of at least 5% in the most recent polls of Iowa voters conducted by the American Research Group and the Des Moines Register.

http://anonym.to/?http://www.iowagop.net/shownews.asp?artid=33

It does not say when the "registration deadline" is.

LibertyEagle
11-06-2007, 02:07 PM
Faux news needs to be contacted by HQ and questioned as to the objective criteria they will use in the decision making process as to debate attedence requirements. Until this is established, we are in a position of vulnerability and any strategies we may employ are based on conjecture.

+1

freelance
11-06-2007, 02:09 PM
If we are shafted by FOX and Ron Paul is not in the Iowa debate, how much would it cost to buy the 15 minutes *before* the debate AND 15 minutes *after* the debate to promote Ron Paul

OMG, I LOVE IT! Let RP have the podium all to himself for 15 minutes. But I'm just dreaming.

freelance
11-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ozwest View Post

Yes, that way, the campaign can lock them in, in terms of qualifying polls. This moving target stuff is ridiculous!

LibertyEagle
11-06-2007, 02:12 PM
We can forget the Iowa Caucus and the Republican Nomination if we are excluded from this debate. Iowans are very practical people, and will not vote for a candidate that they perceive to be a Nader.

TJ, I tend to agree with you that we shouldn't just sit back and hope it's alright. But, we also shouldn't go off in 90 different directions with no plan either.

1. Have we asked the campaign how we could best help? If so, what did they say?

2. If they said those of us outside of Iowa, couldn't help much, then how about we, the grassroots, put together a plan of action?

- Should we run newspaper ads?
- How about radio ads or is the campaign already doing that?
- TV ads? I know Skiingff is planning on running that one, as soon as the editing is done. Hopefully, it will be done soon.

What does everyone think? Any other ideas?

freelance
11-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Do we even know if the campaign is aware of this?

LibertyEagle
11-06-2007, 02:14 PM
OMG, I LOVE IT! Let RP have the podium all to himself for 15 minutes. But I'm just dreaming.

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe we could do something like this that would air just in Iowa. Is that possible? I mean, there are local ads being run, aren't there? Why couldn't this be a long "local" ad?

LibertyEagle
11-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Do we even know if the campaign is aware of this?

At least one person has said they have talked to the Iowa campaign HQ.

bootstrap
11-06-2007, 02:24 PM
What does 30 minutes of national television cost?

If we are shafted by FOX and Ron Paul is not in the Iowa debate, how much would it cost to buy the 15 minutes *before* the debate AND 15 minutes *after* the debate to promote Ron Paul --- both his most important positions PLUS inform everyone how the election is being tampered with by FOX?

Haven't we all seen half-hour infomercials for the lamest pieces of junk vegetable slicer gadgets and such? If they can afford to run dozens of national ads for trash like that, then it is not beyond question we could get at least 5 minutes before and after the debates for our Ron Paul presentation. Furthermore, I suspect FOX would not want us filing suit against them for election tampering if they tried to deny such an effort (plus, that'd just make them look even worse, and perhaps other media would love to make FOX look bad than they dislike helping Ron Paul).

Somebody out there, tell us. What would this cost?

freelance
11-06-2007, 02:26 PM
At least one person has said they have talked to the Iowa campaign HQ.

Oh, thanks. I guess if IA knows, then the national campaign hq knows.

Matt Collins
11-07-2007, 12:47 AM
Haven't we all seen half-hour infomercials for the lamest pieces of junk vegetable slicer gadgets and such? If they can afford to run dozens of national ads for trash like that, then it is not beyond question we could get at least 5 minutes before and after the debates for our Ron Paul presentation. They are inexpensive for two reasons:

1- they are always bought in bulk (3-6mo at a time worth of ads)
2- they run in the middle of the night

Getting an ad in front of a prime-time debate will be VERY expensive. Plus FOX doesn't have to allow it if they don't want since they are cable and not broadcast which means FCC rules don't apply. Legally FOX can run Rudy commercials 24 hours a day if they want.

bbachtung
11-07-2007, 12:48 AM
Legally FOX can run Rudy commercials 24 hours a day if they want.

Wait . . . they aren't doing that now?