PDA

View Full Version : Question on Ron Paul's theory on spending

nodeal
11-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Ron Paul believes that spending is paid for by the government through three ways: taxes, printing money, and borrowing money. As I understand, his argument is that these three means of government spending have an adverse effect on the people for the following reasons:

-- Taxes are an obvious form of theft, where the government forces its people to pay for functions of society
-- Printing money causes inflation, therefore decreasing the value of the dollar and increasing the prices of goods and services

However, I do not understand how borrowing impacts the finances of the individual. I mean, borrowing obviously puts the nation as a whole into more debt, but how does this translate into an immediate (or almost immediate) negative repercussion for you and me the same way taxes and inflation do?

eduardo89
11-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Borrowing has to be paid for, and there are two ways to do that: taxes and printing money

Furthermore, borrowing takes money out of the economy, just like taxation. Instead of lending the government money, that money could have been used to invest in job creating businesses.

pcosmar
11-09-2011, 09:18 AM
However, I do not understand how borrowing impacts the finances of the individual. I mean, borrowing obviously puts the nation as a whole into more debt, but how does this translate into an immediate (or almost immediate) negative repercussion for you and me the same way taxes and inflation do?

Borrowing is paid for by TAX. The Tax Burden increases with every dollar borrowed.