PDA

View Full Version : Skills of 9-year-old designated driver could determine dad's fate

tangent4ronpaul
11-09-2011, 07:59 AM
The fate of a father who allowed his 9-year-old daughter serve as designated driver could turn on her abilities behind the wheel of the van, the Detroit Free Press reports.

The 9-year-old, who took the stand at her father's hearing in Brownstown Township on Tuesday, was captured on surveillance video pulling the vehicle into a gas station in suburban Detroit at 3 a.m. with her father, Shawn Weimer, in the passenger seat.
A judge must decide whether to send the case to circuit court as a felony. Weimer, 39, is charged with felony child abuse in the second degree, allegedly having "knowingly or intentionally" committed an act "likely to cause serious physical or mental harm."

But the defense is arguing that the girl drove flawlessly at 3 a.m., neither swerving nor speeding, using her turn signal and stopping at intersections.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/11/skills-of-9-year-old-designated-driver-could-determine-dads-fate-/1

specsaregood
11-09-2011, 08:18 AM
LOL @

911: Is the vehicle staying on the road?
Caller: Yeah, she's driving pretty good! I can't believe it.

angelatc
11-09-2011, 08:19 AM
The father is a POS. Not only did he make her drive while he was drunk, he's making her go through this whole trial instead of manning up and taking a plea deal.

specsaregood
11-09-2011, 08:24 AM
The father is a POS. Not only did he make her drive while he was drunk, he's making her go through this whole trial instead of manning up and taking a plea deal.

Well what type of plea deal are they offering?

angelatc
11-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Well what type of plea deal are they offering?

I don't think they disclosed that, but seeing the kid on the stand was just heart breaking. ETA: He wanted to get off with a misdemeanor, while the prosecutors want a felony.

specsaregood
11-09-2011, 08:29 AM
I don't think they disclosed that, but seeing the kid on the stand was just heart breaking. ETA: He wanted to get off with a misdemeanor, while the prosecutors want a felony.

I hear ya; but if the "deal" they are offering means he never sees his kid again; then the kid might very well prefer to take the stand. Of course, one could make the big L argument about how there wasn't any property damage so where is the crime; but I'll spare you that.

angelatc
11-09-2011, 08:49 AM
I hear ya; but if the "deal" they are offering means he never sees his kid again; then the kid might very well prefer to take the stand. Of course, one could make the big L argument about how there wasn't any property damage so where is the crime; but I'll spare you that.

Honey, it if it was up to me it wouldn't be illegal for her to drive. But the cold reality is that it is illegal, and this POS putting her on the stand means that she's up there second guessing herself, being put in the spot of testifying against her father. In her mind, if she says the wrong thing, his conviction will be her fault. That's a terrible burden to put on a kid, and he's a POS for putting her in this position.

The child, wearing a black sweater and black and white skirt, broke down in tears several times during her testimony before 33rd District Court Judge Michael McNally about the Oct. 8 incident in which she drove her father to a local gas station in the early-morning hours.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20111108/METRO01/111080364/9-year-old-cries-on-stand-as-she-testifies-about-driving-for-her-dad

(http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20111108/METRO01/111080364/9-year-old-cries-on-stand-as-she-testifies-about-driving-for-her-dad)

brandon
11-09-2011, 09:02 AM
When I read the title of this thread I was sure it had to link to an onion article. Nope. lol

specsaregood
11-09-2011, 09:04 AM
When I read the title of this thread I was sure it had to link to an onion article. Nope. lol

The one thing every party involved agrees upon is that the 9yr old is a good driver.

eduardo89
11-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Honey, it if it was up to me it wouldn't be illegal for her to drive. But the cold reality is that it is illegal, and this POS putting her on the stand means that she's up there second guessing herself, being put in the spot of testifying against her father. In her mind, if she says the wrong thing, his conviction will be her fault. That's a terrible burden to put on a kid, and he's a POS for putting her in this position.

I agree, it's unfair to have to put this little girl in that position. She has to decide whether to "betray" her dad and if he gets convicted she'll spend years thinking its all her fault. This guy should have looked for a plea bargain where he would have to go to rehab for drinking and do a couple hundred hours of community service.

eduardo89
11-09-2011, 09:16 AM
The one thing every party involved agrees upon is that the 9yr old is a good driver.

It's not hard to drive an automatic. I was a pretty good driver by the time I was 11.

specsaregood
11-09-2011, 09:18 AM
It's not hard to drive an automatic. I was a pretty good driver by the time I was 11.

Fair enough, and I was driving tractors and ATV's by 9yrs old like this little girl.
But its a whole different ballgame driving a big van on city streets while sitting on a booster seat! Girl has got some skills.

AlexAmore
11-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Wow I was nervous as hell when I first started driving very well into my teens and made some stupid mistakes (never an accident though). Never mind having to drive at night fuggetaboutit. That girl is amazing.

Icymudpuppy
11-09-2011, 12:08 PM
911: Is the vehicle staying on the road?
Caller: Yeah, she's driving pretty good! I can't believe it.

That 911 caller is the real problem here. I was driving tractors at 4, and trucks at 8.

CaptainAmerica
11-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Child abuse? Felony for driving at age 9??

I know a man who is now in his 80s who told me he began driving at the age of 8 in a pickup truck alone(stick shift)..he also began drinking at age 9. Driving is a right,if she could fully operate the vehicle then good for her.

oyarde
11-09-2011, 12:46 PM
They need to go easy on this , I probably have some work for that kid in a few years , I do not want the authorities messing her head up.

fisharmor
11-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Child abuse? Felony for driving at age 9??

I know a man who is now in his 80s who told me he began driving at the age of 8 in a pickup truck alone(stick shift)..he also began drinking at age 9. Driving is a right,if she could fully operate the vehicle then good for her.

Yeah, I disagree that what the girl is going through is all the guy's fault.
In the past, he probably would have spent a night in the tank, the girl would have been driven home or otherwise given a night's rest, he would have gotten slapped on the wrist in the morning, and what she went through would have been called "growing up".
Nobody's making her go through this but the state.