PDA

View Full Version : Mainers repeal voter registration changes

TexMac
11-09-2011, 06:32 AM
http://www.pressherald.com/news/Mainers-repeal-voter-registration-changes.html

AUGUSTA — Maine voters have repealed a law requiring voters to enroll at least two days before an election, restoring a four-decade policy of allowing registrations as late as Election Day.

With 30 percent of Maine's precincts reporting, the proposal to repeal the newly enacted two-day requirement was passed with 59 percent of the vote.The referendum was put on Tuesday's ballot through a "people's veto" initiative after the Republican-controlled Legislature passed a law in June requiring voters to register at least two business days before an election is held. Maine's tradition of allowing "same day" voter registrations began with a law passed in 1973.

(http://www.pressherald.com/news/Mainers-repeal-voter-registration-changes.html)

roho76
11-09-2011, 07:00 AM
I find it abhorrent that 41% would vote against their own best interest. They were probably told this would stop those "evil Mexicans" from stealing the elections and installing Sharia law or whatever bullshit the local GOP filled there head with.

Keith and stuff
11-09-2011, 12:31 PM
I don't see a need for such a bill in Maine. I guess I could understand some people supporting a photo ID bill. It may discourage some out of state students from voting in Maine. It may also encourage folks to register with the government by getting a government ID so big government supporters may like it.

Maine is isolated. The only near-by state is NH which leans Republican. I am not sure what the Republicans in ME that passed this bill feared from folks in NH. Some of the statewide elections are usually close in NH so I doubt a lot of NH Democratic voters are going to try and vote in ME.

Good work voters!

Maineiac
11-17-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm all for checking IDs to vote, but I'm pleased to see we've reversed this law. Same day registration is a free and wonderful tradition in Maine. GOP came out of this one looking foolish.

webwriter
02-02-2012, 05:04 PM
I am totally against the removal of this law. The is absolutely no way that requiring that one register at least two days before an election restricts your right to vote, but it does prevent those who are not eligible from voting. (Check the official record for neighboring NH on how many dead people voted in the primary). You only have to register once in your life. You can do it when you first get your Maine drivers license (which is what I did), or when you register your car (which you have to do every year and most do in person). Town clerks or whoever handles it in a town, need time to verify the person. The movement to remove the law were, from my observations, those who wanted to be able to bus in voters for their candidates who had not already registered.

Clox
02-02-2012, 06:19 PM
good show mainers!!! excellent!