PDA

View Full Version : Independent run may be inevitable

Madison
11-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Now with all this cash, RP simply couldn't refuse to run as an independent should he lose the Republican nomination. I think RP has the votes to win the nomination, but I don't think the Republican establishment will allow him to be nominated. All they show him is hostility, even in light of yesterday's fundraising.

An independent run is indeed more difficult, but I think people should have it in their heads that this is a very real possibility and should prepare for it.

DeadheadForPaul
11-06-2007, 12:34 PM
3 words: Sore Loser Laws

He wont be on the ballot in HIS OWN STATE if he's independent. This is not an option

brumans
11-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Prepare for it? HELL NO. We need to prepare for him to win the Republican Nomination.

Syren123
11-06-2007, 12:35 PM
I think the neo-cons should prepare for the worst, cuz it's coming.

hopeforamerica
11-06-2007, 12:36 PM
I think the neo-cons should prepare for the worst, cuz it's coming.

qft :D:D

Jordan
11-06-2007, 12:36 PM
He's got the republican nomination in sight.

All we need:

EVERY RP supporter to go out and vote.
Every candidate in the race to stay in the race
$12M+ this quarter.

DjLoTi
11-06-2007, 12:37 PM
oh we raised a bunch of money, lets go 3rd party! even though he always says he'll never do it! after a huge victory, 3rd party hopes are on the horizon!

come on. talk like this is just lame

matthylland
3 words: Sore Loser Laws

He wont be on the ballot in HIS OWN STATE if he's independent. This is not an option

i dont know texas law, but here in NC you would need to collect a certain amount of signatures to get him as an independent on the ballot.

me3
It's unproductive to talk 3rd party when Dr. Paul has said he is not interested, the game is stacked against him, and we haven't even seen a caucus or primary return yet.

Richie
11-06-2007, 12:46 PM
I can understand why he doesn't want to run as a third party candidate.

1. It's been about eight months since he announced his candidacy, correct? By the time the primaries and Republican National Convention (or whatever they call it) are over, that amount of time will be nearly doubled. If he were to run as a third party candidate in the short time left before the general, there wouldn't be enough time to work out things like ballot access. Plus, the LP and CP will have already chosen their nominee by then. If he started his run earlier (like say - after Super Tuesday), then it might work. But if he did that, the media would spin it has him giving up.

2. He has a battle to fight for reelection in his district. Running as a third party might cause him to lose his seat in Congress.

3. The man is 72 years old and has more energy then I (a teenager) do. He's running a Presidential campaign AND still introducing and voting on legislation in Congress. If he ran as a third party candidate, he would have many more things to do at the same time. We don't want him to wear himself down over this, do we?

Like you guys, I hope he does run as a third party candidate or independent. But he might not. We need to fight to get him the nomination NOW, and THEN if he doesn't win, agree on somebody to vote for if he isn't up to another run.

fj45lvr
11-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Thomas Jefferson:

"God forbid we should ever be 20 years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconcieve. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty.-------And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants, it is it's natural manure."

Johncjackson
11-06-2007, 12:47 PM
ALL the money needs to be spent. If things are run right, there will be no leftover money when the time comes ( to make a IND decision), except some current Q contributions.

Unless he is raising money for that purpose and there is no reason to assume that.

njandrewg
11-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Pretty sure that sore loser laws don't apply to presidential candidates.

livinglegend
11-06-2007, 01:35 PM
Guys, I know this is a touchy subject and some may flame me, but I believe that it never hurts to examine all your options. If Dr. Paul starts getting denied debate appearances, then the political world has changed and we must adapt or die.

We owe it to ourselves and this country to further the Founding Fathers' principles as best we can. If this involves planning for a third party run, I say so be it.

Admit it, most of us secretly desired Dr. Paul to run as a third party should he not win the nomination. But the primary election voters are overwhelmingly rank-and-file party members and nowadays that means neo-cons. The same neo-cons who have ignored or OPENLY MOCKED the well-reasoned message of Dr. Paul and the Founding Fathers...

I am of the belief that Dr. Paul has a SIGNIFICANTLY better chance to win the PRESIDENCY than he does the GOP nomination. This is because normal people aren't paying attention - they are just trying to get by in their daily lives. But just imagine this scene:

Millions of normal people tune into the first Presidential debate. They want to get to know the candidates (because only die-hards pay attention during the primaries). On the TV they see a neo-con, Hillary, and some guy they don't know (Dr. Paul). They hear this man speak of peace and liberty and prosperity and they are sold.

We should keep all options open and choose the best ones. Saying "WE ARE GOING TO STAY IN IT AND WE ARE GOING TO WIN THE NOMINATION. DON'T TALK ABOUT THIRD PARTY GIBBERISH" sounds an awful like what the neo-cons say about staying in Iraq.

Feel free to flame away.

PS -

According to Ballot-access.org, only 4 states claim that "sore loser" laws apply to the Presidential race. Furthermore, such laws are suspect and could possibly be overturned if challenged. Additionally, I THINK they only apply if you actually run in the primary in that particular state. Ron could be sneaky and strategically avoid states while still competing in others... (That actually sounds like a pretty good idea!)

me3
11-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Dr. Paul has said "No". What part of that are people not getting?

terlinguatx
11-06-2007, 01:38 PM

Hurricane Bruiser
11-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Talking about 3rd party now is unproductive. Focus on the nomination and then go from there.

terlinguatx
11-06-2007, 01:40 PM

misconstrued
11-06-2007, 01:42 PM

I've read that too.

livinglegend
11-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Dr. Paul has said "No". What part of that are people not getting?

No matter what his true intentions are he HAS to say no. If he said "Yes, I will consider running if I don't get the nomination" the journalists would put him through the meat grinder and the GOP would just stop allowing him to debate because they'd claim he wasn't a true Republican - just a guy using their primaries to get publicity for his run.

davidkachel
11-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Third party, hell!
Burn the bridges, burn the boats. It's all or nothing.
Give me liberty or give me death. (I think I heard that somewhere<grin>)

Dennis Berlin
11-06-2007, 01:46 PM
I am voting for Ron Paul, whether he is Republican, Libertarian or Write-in-your-vote-arian, because he is the ONLY candidate out there, for whom I could vote in good conscience, this time around. I wrote a letter to Dr. Paul, to this effect ( http://ronpaulbearer.com/2007/10/17/dear-dr-paul-im-voting-for-you-no-matter-what.aspx (http://http://ronpaulbearer.com/2007/10/17/dear-dr-paul-im-voting-for-you-no-matter-what.aspx) ).

I am convinced that just the knowledge that we WILL not vote for the default Republican nominee, would have the power to make Republicans start taking us REALLY seriously.

JMann
11-06-2007, 01:57 PM
He should never consider a third party, these groups are a farce and wouldn't be able to do much to help him. I think he will win the Republican nomination but if for some reason that doesn't happen an independent bid is the only way to go. He has no business getting involved in the internal political BS of a minor party.

Buchanan tried that with the Reform party only to spend 6 months trying to get the nomination, fighting Jesse Ventura's supporters and some dude named Hagelin that thought he could fly. All that destroyed his campaign and took what limited funds he had.

NyMets120386
11-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Paul has seen an 80+% rise in website hits over the past three months, while other candidates continue to flounder. It's pretty apparent that most of the others had a support base going in, with a small chance of attracting new people.

The good news is, the message we're spreading can be adopted by ANYONE because of what Ron Paul is conveying. Freedom. You know, that "silliness".

I think it's well established that, as far as the media goes, we don't go quietly into the night while they bash our candidate. They know better. Logistically, I know nothing about balloting or Sore Loser Laws, so I won't get into that.

But I think he's attracted enough people from all walks of political life to successfully nurture a third party run IF he fails to win the GOP nomination. Either way, I'll write in a vote if I have to, and a lot of supporters are the same way.

I think they're more powerful by perpetuating the illusion that they can his chances. In reality, they're only as effective as you allow them to be.

NyMets120386
11-06-2007, 02:03 PM
By the way, I don't mean to imply that every website hit=new supporter. I'm making a supposition.

me3
11-06-2007, 02:08 PM
No matter what his true intentions are he HAS to say no. If he said "Yes, I will consider running if I don't get the nomination" the journalists would put him through the meat grinder and the GOP would just stop allowing him to debate because they'd claim he wasn't a true Republican - just a guy using their primaries to get publicity for his run.
Ok, but that doesn't prove he does not mean what he says.

In general, I don't like ambiguity being added to Dr. Paul's positions or message. What we want, is not necessarily what Dr. Paul is trying to achieve.

Austin
11-06-2007, 02:11 PM
I do think that if he does not get the nomination, he should run Independent. I would still vote for him, and most all supporters would as well. We are here to get Ron Paul in the office, not a Republican.

I don't mean that negatively, but I think you know what I mean.

MikeStanart
11-06-2007, 02:16 PM
What would have happened if we chose to gave up and go Independant when we were left out of the Iowa Tax Relief??

KEEP ON FIGHTING.