PDA

View Full Version : High Winds, Dust Storms, and a Missing Tent

ronpaulhawaii
11-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Woke up this morning in a different world, The wind is howling 15 to 25 with bigger gusts direct in my face. Started out on the west side of town, was making 3-6 mph on the freeway with hard pedaling in 2nd gear. Dust in the air and clouds of it ahead. With 60 miles of nothing in front of me I figured this a good time to double check my supplies and found my tent missing, probably in the back of Mike's car in Tucson... Not good. Stopped in a truck stop to get local weather opinions and was told this is not normal and not a good day to be on the freeway. Dust storms can reduce visibilty to zero and choke cars, much less lungs. Checked forcasts and this pattern should die out a bit tonight and be back to normal Thursday. So, rather than risk life and limb in the desert with no shelter, I turned back to wait it out. Suddenly, I was making 11 mph without pedalling (boy what I would give for that in my direction).

So, now I am holed up and getting a chance to catch up on other issues. Made some phone calls and people are glad of my decision. Unfortunately, this throws my schedule even further back. One person advised me to rent a vehicle and drive to Las Cruces to get out of this dangerous situation and get back on schedule. I am neither here nor there with the idea and am hoping for input to help my decision. Again, I am not out here to prove I'm some sort of badass. I merely want to bring the good news of RP to as many people as possible. In that sense it seems best to drive around this storm. How-ever, I know people want to use this story for media exposure and I wonder if such a move would lessen the impact.

Should I make a poll for the main board if few see this post?

On a brighter point, had a few good RP conversations this AM and got rid of the last of my RP/President bumper stickers. Now I only have rEVOLution stickers left and will need to get more of the others for the more conservative type. I, also found a great place for my last "Hope for America" sign and will place it tonight. You'll love the pic when I get it done...

m

Man from La Mancha
11-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Stay on the bike for more impact and good luck!

hopeforamerica
11-06-2007, 12:58 PM
I don't know....there are sure to be more obstacles in your way along the road. Weather is unpredictable. How important is your arrival date? Would it be bad to be a few days late?

ronpaulhawaii
11-06-2007, 01:09 PM
The date doesn't matter to me at all, mainly to people planning my arrival, I am leaning to waiting it out just thought I'd throw it out there

heiwa
11-06-2007, 01:18 PM
I don't want you to be in any kind of danger.

I don't know how far you have to go, but why not see if you can get a ride from a Ron Paul supporter?

Where are you and how far do you need a ride - maybe we can help get you a lift!

In Peace,
Jen

Bryan
11-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Brutal. Sounds like you made the right call to turn back. You know of course that only you are qualified to make the field call on if to "Yellow Blaze" or not (to steal an AT term). Obviously it's something you would want to minimize it as it isn't factored as part of the objective, but at the same time, there is no point in being fanatical about something and end up destroying achieving goals. Overall I would say that adverting significant and unpredictable health hazards is a very understandable reason to change plans- only you can determine the final trade-offs of goals vs. resources / deadlines... and you know that's the harsh truth. :)

Whatever is decided, we're behind you in spreading the good word of Dr. Paul! Stay safe- and keep the updates coming!

ronpaulhawaii
11-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Hi Jen,

Yes, on the danger issue, Thanks. A ride will not be necessary but your thoughtful offer is appreciated, I have offline support for these type of situations. The main problem with scheduling is MU planning and how far I may be pushed back. In fact, The original arrival date of Christmas Eve hay have been a bit ill considered and DC friends and I are now considering an arrival between Christmas and New Years. How-ever, I wonder whether a mid Jan arrival due to other unforseen delays may be a bit much, hence this post and request for opinions. I am really thankful that people are watching this and checking in. While I may be physically alone out here in the hinterlands, I consider this a group effort and am at the service of you all.

with much aloha

m

edit, thanks for checking in Bryan. I am watching weather reports closely and will make a decision later, just wanted to get a feel for the groups opinions on these type issues

Roxi
11-06-2007, 01:58 PM
HEY whatever you do WE WILL BE CHEERING YOU!!!!

GO RON PAUL RIDERS!!!!

jjschless
11-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Ultimately the decision is yours and we will support you regardless of what you choose. The fact that you are doing the ride with such challenges (faced and overcome) is noble and we can not begrudge you for compromising with in the face of undo health risks.

oh and EVERYBODY SIGN UP FOR THE PLEDGES!!! Post haste!

heiwa
11-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Why not shoot for riding into New Hampshire the day before the primary?! That would be perfect! However you make it, you have inspired me with your efforts.

Don't worry about the outcome anyway; taking the first step (or pedal) was the important part - who knows what changes you have already wrought?

In Peace,
Jen

ronpaulhawaii
11-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Why not shoot for riding into New Hampshire the day before the primary?! That would be perfect! However you make it, you have inspired me with your efforts.

Don't worry about the outcome anyway; taking the first step (or pedal) was the important part - who knows what changes you have already wrought?

In Peace,
Jen

:)

Been thinking about doing a ride in the NE when I get there. Jan 22 in NH will be tough on a bike, anyone got a horse I can borrow :D

While I am not the type to "worry". I, also, tend to be very careful and keep my mind on the bigger picture. The nature of a trip like this makes it very difficult for MUs on my route to make any "plans". That is why I want to stay as close to the posted schedule as possible. I am still hoping to make up time in Texas and get back on time.

Perhaps I made a mistake in spending the extra days in Phoenix and Tucson, but I know they were effective days and worth the additional logistical "issues". I do have an ace up my sleeve with the electric bike kit I can pick-up at any time, but a few folk have expressed a greater impact with just pedalling (I am planning to do the e-bike trip e>w next spring if this one is successful, and if I can secure necessary support).

As far as the winds here, they are dropping and I will be back in the saddle tomorrow. Glad I didn't attempt the trip today. Went for a ride around town and got rid of more fliers, will plant a sign tonight, have ordered supplies for El Paso, (they are low and I will be re-stocking them thanks to the generous donations to my Chip-In), my biggest problem at this point is lack of RP4Pres Bumper stickers, am waiting to hear from Las Cruces and hope they have some. Am working on other options...

I appreciate the comments from you all. I know that the ultimate decisions/responsibility is mine, but always will ask, hoping to hear something I haven't considered...

much aloha

m

Shatterhand
11-06-2007, 11:13 PM
:)

Been thinking about doing a ride in the NE when I get there. Jan 22 in NH will be tough on a bike, anyone got a horse I can borrow :D

While I am not the type to "worry". I, also, tend to be very careful and keep my mind on the bigger picture. The nature of a trip like this makes it very difficult for MUs on my route to make any "plans". That is why I want to stay as close to the posted schedule as possible. I am still hoping to make up time in Texas and get back on time.

Perhaps I made a mistake in spending the extra days in Phoenix and Tucson, but I know they were effective days and worth the additional logistical "issues". I do have an ace up my sleeve with the electric bike kit I can pick-up at any time, but a few folk have expressed a greater impact with just pedalling (I am planning to do the e-bike trip e>w next spring if this one is successful, and if I can secure necessary support).

As far as the winds here, they are dropping and I will be back in the saddle tomorrow. Glad I didn't attempt the trip today. Went for a ride around town and got rid of more fliers, will plant a sign tonight, have ordered supplies for El Paso, (they are low and I will be re-stocking them thanks to the generous donations to my Chip-In), my biggest problem at this point is lack of RP4Pres Bumper stickers, am waiting to hear from Las Cruces and hope they have some. Am working on other options...

I appreciate the comments from you all. I know that the ultimate decisions/responsibility is mine, but always will ask, hoping to hear something I haven't considered...

much aloha

m

Hello,

Enjoyed your latest report from your blog and am glad you still got good work done despite the dust storm. I sent a message to the editor at the Daily Paul and asked if he could put the Ron Paul riders on the main page of his site with pics to help spread the word, but I only got an auto-reply. He's probably getting thousands of emails and can't respond to them anymore. Too bad. If anyone blogs over there and knows M. Nystrom then please consider passing on this request to him. I am sure he would be happy to post Ron Paul riders on his main page if the message got to him.

Thanks again for all your great work getting the word out about Dr. Paul and the freedom message.

ronpaulhawaii
11-14-2007, 12:40 PM
Urgent Weather Message for Howard, TX
WWUS74 KMAF 141630
NPWMAF
URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIDLAND/ODESSA TX
1030 AM CST WED NOV 14 2007

...A STRONG COLD FRONT WILL
GENERATE VERY WINDY CONDITIONS ACROSS SOUTHEAST NEW MEXICO AND A GOOD PORTION OF WEST TEXAS...

LOCALIZED AREAS OF BLOWING DUST WILL ACCOMPANY THESE WINDS...BUT
MAINLY SOUTH OF FARMLAND. WIND SPEEDS ACROSS THE PLAINS WILL DECREASE BY LATE THIS AFTERNOON...-HOWARD-- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...... BIG SPRING...COLORADO CITY...

1030 AM CST WED NOV 14 2007 /...WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM CST /3 PM MST/ THIS AFTERNOON...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MIDLAND/ODESSA HAS ISSUED A WIND
ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM CST /3 PM MST/ THIS
AFTERNOON.
VERY WINDY CONDITIONS ... NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS
OF 25 TO 35 MPH WITH OCCASIONAL GUSTS AROUND 40 MPH WILL AFFECT
THESE AREAS. WIND SPEEDS SHOULD BEGIN TO DIMINISH BY LATE
AFTERNOON.
A WIND ADVISORY MEANS THAT WINDS OVER 30 MPH ARE EXPECTED. WINDS
THIS STRONG CAN MAKE DRIVING DIFFICULT...ESPECIALLY FOR HIGH
PROFILE VEHICLES. USE EXTRA CAUTION.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Been a "fun" morning, holed up in a truckstop now, ain't gonna make Sweetwater, will be happy to make Colorado City. Downhill speed of 10mph reached with strong pedaling. Exercise is good, getting blown about by strong gusts is not... I am really glad to be out of the wastelands and have optional "ports in the storm" to divert to. Imagining days like this and pedaling through them is... interesting. All good though. Knew it wasn't gonna be easy and is only making me stronger...

m- is waiting an hour hoping for some moderation