PDA

View Full Version : Education reform will be defeated

FATToney
11-08-2011, 08:04 PM
It looks like education reform will be defeated here in Ohio, as S.B. 5/Issue 2 has way less than 40% of the vote. The bill, which was put On the ballot as a referendum, called for ending teacher tenure permanently and limited collective bargaining "rights" to only wages, and not benefits. here is the live election results:

http://vote.sos.state.oh.us/pls/enrpublic/f?p=130:6:0

The teachers unions prevail, and the children lose. The is now no hope for education reform in Ohio. This is the
mentality of the teachers unions: “When school children start paying union dues, that 's when I'll start
representing ttthe interests of school children.”- Albert Shanker, President of United Federation of Teachers,
1964-1984, President of American Federation of Teachers,1974-1997.

Dorfsmith
11-08-2011, 08:08 PM
People need to start taking their kids out of public schools.

It's interesting how issue 3 is passing by almost the same amount issue two is failing by. I guess even the unions don't like Obamacare?

OrigSEOH
11-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Yep, my 7 year old boy was just telling me his teachers were talking up Issue 2 to him today. I preceded to tell him about the violent teacher's strike I witnessed as a kid and when they got what they wanted, they came back with big smiles on their faces like nothing ever happened. He was like wow. Ironically, their tax levy renewal looks to be failing, but the Issue 2 is passing with far more votes and by a wider margin in this township, weird.

When my kids get old enough to stay at home they got the option to do it in the online school system. I know several who are doing it and are loving it.

Dorfsmith
11-08-2011, 08:34 PM
My son is 8 and is in an online school (second year). He loves it. Interesting that the tax levy renewal may be failing. A few years ago the district override failed where I live and they put it right back on the ballet as soon as they could and it ended up passing. Then they continued to mismanage and waste tax dollars as usual. When it comes up again I'll knock on every door in town if I have to to keep it from being renewed.

FATToney
11-08-2011, 08:35 PM
People need to start taking their kids out of public schools.

It's interesting how issue 3 is passing by almost the same amount issue two is failing by. I guess even the unions don't like Obamacare?

Yeah. I guess that is a victory here in Ohio. It wouldn't just null and void Obamacare, but would challenge many insurance
regulations in Ohio. It also might actually be a swing for the courts. Many justices on the courts do rely on voting, polls and all
sorts of social experiments as a part of their reasoning(I am against that as a strict constructionist, but that is unfortunately how many on the court vote)Ex; Brown vs. Board of Ed. A swing vote like Kennedy may look at Ohio and use their overwhelming
disapproval as a justification to overturn Obamacare. Either way, that is a plus to look up to in Ohio after a disappointing election.

FreeTraveler
11-08-2011, 08:38 PM
The way that link reads, this was a proposal to REPEAL SB5. So SB5, which limits collective bargaining and eliminates teacher tenure, will stay in place.

Am I reading this wrong?

Dorfsmith
11-08-2011, 08:41 PM
The way that link reads, this was a proposal to REPEAL SB5. So SB5, which limits collective bargaining and eliminates teacher tenure, will stay in place.

Am I reading this wrong?

I know, it's terrible wording. A yes vote was for restricting unions. A no vote was for the unions.

AlienLanes82
11-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Am I reading this wrong?

The union side is the NO side.

If I understand the process right, the unions managed to trigger a statewide vote on the issue. Thus, the YES side is the reform side, and the NO side is the AFL-CIO side.

FATToney
11-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Most of the time, the wording is even worse. Ohio initiative votes are different than some states in that it is
Voted completely by the question, and everything else in the ballot is a preamble. The question was: "do you
support this(S.B. 5) amendment." so yes was for S.B. 5, no was to repeal S.B 5. It did not ask, " do you support this proposal.

The Gold Standard
11-08-2011, 09:26 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of stupid people thought voting 'yes' meant voting for Obamacare.

FATToney
11-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Most of the time, the wording is even worse. Ohio initiative votes are different than some states in that it is
Voted completely by the question, and everything else in the ballot is a preamble. The question was: "do you
support this(S.B. 5) amendment." so yes was for S.B. 5, no was to repeal S.B 5. It did not ask, " do you support this proposal.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of stupid people thought voting 'yes' meant voting for Obamacare.

it didn't mention Obamacare or patient protection by name so I don't think that was the case. The wording for
issue 3 was pretty clear, but not too long ago, there was a smoking initiative that cost an election because people
were confused on the wording. Lol

seapilot
11-08-2011, 10:39 PM
My son is 8 and is in an online school (second year). He loves it. Interesting that the tax levy renewal may be failing. A few years ago the district override failed where I live and they put it right back on the ballet as soon as they could and it ended up passing. Then they continued to mismanage and waste tax dollars as usual. When it comes up again I'll knock on every door in town if I have to to keep it from being renewed.

That is interesting about the online schools. I was wondering what is the purpose of large buildings built like prisons to educate children seems outdated with the internet easily accessible. I took a college course 20 years ago that was live television feed with the teacher someplace else than in the classroom. Seems today that the access to live online video and subjects, email most classes could be done from home or a community center. There is always the YMCA for athletics and social life.