PDA

View Full Version : I Need a Special Kind of BAIT!

acptulsa
11-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Too many middle aged people are too tied up in the here and now to concern themselves with either the past or the future.

Young people have nothing but the future. Old people know the past, and have little else to think about but the future.

Young people know they aren't free, but they are taught that what they have is 'liberty' nonethineless. They don't know what liberty is. Old people know what liberty is, because they had it. And they actually think young people in this nation still have it. That's why, when Herman Cain says the young people have no problem but a lack of gumption, the old people actually agree. Not because it's true, but because they've retired from the game and don't know what the hell is really going on.

If we could get young and old people together and really talking about this stuff, the old people could find out that liberty is in serious danger and the young people could learn what liberty really is, or rather what liberty really was. If we could hold an economic summit wherein only old and young people attended and middle aged people were excluded, we could really set a fire that would do us some real good.

Now, how do we do this? A swing music concert would get everyone but the young. A grunge music concert could get everyone but the old. A car show would bring middle aged jackasses out in droves. Where's the key?

We need something that would bring out young people and old people, and that middle aged people would stay away from in droves. Something that would put both demographics in a friendly mood, but not keep them so tied up that people wouldn't or couldn't talk to each other. And something that would bring the subject of the economy and entrepreneurship up.

SCORE comes to mind. Could we get a good turnout at a function designed to help people who are retired and have run their own businesses get together with young, would-be entrepreneurs for the purpose of giving them guidance? Seriously. Because if we could get both the young and active and the old and religiously determined to vote to understand that the amount of money that would start a business in 1955 won't buy the permits and insurance necessary to start the same business today, we'd really be getting our message out. And then we could play both ends against the middle aged.

Any ideas?

acptulsa
11-08-2011, 08:22 PM
No? Me either. But please think about it.

centure7
11-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Ron Paul supporters could set up information tables at nursing homes and retirement homes.

Democracy is all but completely dead. People have to have their heads buried deep in the sand not to see the amazingly obvious lack of freedoms. If people would take a quick look around this would be obvious. As would looking at the objective studies that compare and contrast freedoms from country to country and show America falling deeper to #7 and lower. Its pathetic beyond belief!

acptulsa
11-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Ron Paul supporters could set up information tables at nursing homes and retirement homes.

I have thought about that. But, you know, I really want to kill two birds with one stone, here. I want to get the old people and more young people, by creating a situation where they can tell young people we haven't won over yet just what they're missing.

Just don't know how to do it. I still think a start your own business clinic might be as good an answer as anything...

kazmlsj
11-09-2011, 03:08 PM
You just went from Young People to Nursing Home Residents.

Are there no people in between? Oh yeah, you called us middle aged jackasses. Thanks friend.

I hope to go to the rally in Spartanburg, SC this Saturday (11/12). Sorry, I'm 49, hope I don't disappoint you for attending - I know I should stay away and hang with the droves of middle-aged jackasses who you apparently don't want as part of the Ron Paul supporters.

My daughter attends our State University - the young people there are some of the most ignorant, narrow-minded, beligerant people I have ever encountered. Should I lump all of the young people into that same category as you have done with us middle-aged jackasses?

Do you have any idea how divisive this thread is? Is it a joke?

Oh, one more thing, the young won't be young forever...I hope they are treated better than us middle-aged jackasses are treated in this post.

Philosophy_of_Politics
11-09-2011, 03:18 PM

Are there no people in between? Oh yeah, you called us middle aged jackasses. Thanks friend.

I hope to go to the rally in Spartanburg, SC this Saturday (11/12). Sorry, I'm 49, hope I don't disappoint you for attending - I know I should stay away and hang with the droves of middle-aged jackasses who you apparently don't want as part of the Ron Paul supporters.

My daughter attends our State University - the young people there are some of the most ignorant, narrow-minded, beligerant people I have ever encountered. Should I lump all of the young people into that same category as you have done with us middle-aged jackasses?

Oh, one more thing, the young won't be young forever...I hope they are treated better than us middle-aged jackasses are treated in this post.

He's talking a majority of people Kazmlsj, it's true that Ron Paul supporters are mostly a younger age demographic. The original poster merely see's the trends. Most older people don't take the time to read all of these things, and are merely consumed in the fruits of their life of labor. Whenever they do get involved in politics, it's through the media.

Your more middle-aged community, appears to be largely a part of parents to younger children. These parents hear about terrorists and cling to this concept of war (especially Dad), because it's parental instinct to think of security.

It's highly intriguing observing the psychological warfare of what's going on, due to the media catering to specific age demographics.

If we get the elder generation to start understanding the younger generation, the middle-aged generation will start paying attention more as well.

FreeTraveler
11-09-2011, 03:23 PM
It's no wonder there are problems with getting middle-age and older people to support RP. How come we middle-agers and old folks can see what that is, and everybody just wants to deny, deny, deny? I have real trouble believing people that trash those groups of people regularly here are better ambassadors in meatspace.

fisharmor
11-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Not buying it.
The older generation lived through the whole Viet Nam debacle.
The one we're currently living through again.
The really old ones still remember FDR fondly, and think Harry Truman was the cat's pajamas.
They are the ones who plugged in the government accelerator.
If they come to meet, it should be on the young people's terms, and preferably on their knees.
Because the young aren't going to listen to them otherwise.

tfurrh
11-09-2011, 03:35 PM
We could say that Quilting is the new Planking, and have a Quilting Festival....?:confused:

acptulsa
11-09-2011, 09:59 PM

Oh, you've been to a car show lately? Come on, man. You know I was trying to speak from their point of view.

I'm 48, friend. And a lot of people our age don't see the stark contrast, or have been so involved in the incrementalism it won't shock them. That's what this is about.

And we're not all jackasses. In fact, not even all of us who go to car shows are jackasses. But if you want to consider me one, go ahead. Help yourself.

If they come to meet, it should be on the young people's terms, and preferably on their knees.
Because the young aren't going to listen to them otherwise.

Yeah, well, maybe. But my point is, until they get that 'My God, what have I done?' moment of truth, it ain't gonna happen. And the only way to give them that epiphany is to get them together with some people who aren't so insulated from how bad it has gotten.