PDA

View Full Version : Getting Into Politics

ShaneEnochs
11-08-2011, 09:54 AM
I've had many people say I should get into politics (on a local level). I think it's an interesting proposition, and I may be interested, but to be totally honest, I wouldn't know how to start.

I know many of you have worked with campaigns before, so I thought I might ask you guys. Where would one start?

tribute_13
11-08-2011, 11:29 AM
It's so easy to win city-wide elections when you don't live in a metropolitan area. Local turnout is ridiculously low. Very few people are active in local politics. It's more than a request for most to be active during a national election. Ron Paul Republicans are blessed with perseverance and every one of us should consider running for a local office. I'm planning on running for city council next election. We already have a Ron Paul republican running during todays election and he's the only one with a billboard, I would probably receive the same privilege of using the billboard next election as its owned by our meetup organizer. Go for it, all you need is name recognition and an understanding of the local issues. Go to town hall meetings and sit in the back with a notepad and pencil. Make sure you educate yourself on all the issues.

ShaneEnochs
11-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Would I need to put together a campaign staff or something like that?

gerryb
11-08-2011, 05:06 PM
What level of office would you run for first? That determines what staff and organization you will need, and the size of the campaign.

If it is a state legislature size race, I would def take either the "Future Candidate School" or "Campaign Managers School" offered by the Leadership Institute.

http://www.leadershipinstitute.org/training/

John F Kennedy III
11-08-2011, 06:09 PM
I will be running within a few years of moving to New Hampshire.

As for you, if this is something you would like to do, go for it. Getting elected and serving at the local level can help prepyou for the same at the state level or higher. We need as many Ron Paul Republicans as we can get.