PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul's Major Stances Simplified in One Flyer

MarximusMG
11-07-2011, 11:04 PM
UPDATE - FINAL DOCUMENT: Ron Paul's Major Stances: http://markmclachlan.posterous.com/ron-paul-2012

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums here and this is my first post. Just wanting to share something with the community here that I've been working on.
I've noticed that there is a lack of material out there that clearly and succinctly (and on one page) states each of Ron Paul's stances on the major issues that are given attention. When I'm speaking about Ron Paul with individuals who know nothing of him, I'm often asked what his stance is on specific issues that are of more importance to that individual. I thought that it would be helpful to have a flyer that explains each of his stances, giving people a brief, yet fairly complete, surface understanding of who Ron Paul is and what he believes. It's my hope that once an individual is able to understand his beliefs on these issues, they'll naturally want to learn more about him.

What I need to do now is have this flyer checked for accuracy. If you have a minute or two, please look over the document that I've linked here, and give me any suggestions or changes that you think should be made. I attempted to summarize his beliefs as best as I understand them. When I've refined the document, I'll post the final copy so that others can use it as well. Thanks!

low preference guy
11-07-2011, 11:08 PM
a section on LGBT "rights"? it's not only bad politics in a gop primary, but Ron Paul is opposed to group rights, he only believes in individual rights.

Philosophy_of_Politics
11-07-2011, 11:12 PM
edit: overlooked the link.

Philosophy_of_Politics
11-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Correct.

Ron Paul opposes Collectivism, which categorizes people as groups; instead of individuals. The constitution supports individualism, as does Ron Paul.

Johnnymac
11-07-2011, 11:14 PM
great first post + rep

MarximusMG
11-07-2011, 11:20 PM
a section on LGBT "rights"? it's not only bad politics in a gop primary, but Ron Paul is opposed to group rights, he only believes in individual rights.

I was also thinking about that. I totally understand his beliefs on group rights, and so it does seem like I should maybe change that header. I'm just trying to figure out what else would be better. Any suggestions are great.

sailingaway
11-07-2011, 11:22 PM
There are flyers, the problem is when I read them I always see one or more thing I think people don't get right on his views. I hate handing out incorrect stuff, and the solution would be for me to do one myself. I did work on one, but it was just examples of views and quotes, not comprehensive. But no one could be comprehensive in one page..

sailingaway
11-07-2011, 11:23 PM
I was also thinking about that. I totally understand his beliefs on group rights, and so it does seem like I should maybe change that header. I'm just trying to figure out what else would be better. Any suggestions are great.

"All individuals should be treated the same"?

Philosophy_of_Politics
11-07-2011, 11:25 PM
There are flyers, the problem is when I read them I always see one or more thing I think people don't get right on his views. I hate handing out incorrect stuff, and the solution would be for me to do one myself. I did work on one, but it was just examples of views and quotes, not comprehensive. But no one could be comprehensive in one page..

At the bottom of the flier. Direct them to the exact places to locate these sources of information for credibility.

low preference guy
11-07-2011, 11:27 PM
is your target your fellow college students or GOP primary people?

anyway, you can rename that section to "Marriage" and quote him saying that no one should impose the definition of marriage to another person and that governments should stay out of the issue.

MarximusMG
11-07-2011, 11:28 PM
"All individuals should be treated the same"?

I think that's a great way to sum it up, but as for the header for that section, what do you think? I'm just thinking that, based on a lot of the interactions I've had with people lately, many individuals are curious as to what his beliefs are on gay marriage, so I want to specifically address that on this flyer.

pulp8721
11-07-2011, 11:30 PM

Maybe merge the DADT repeal with the privacy section, and place them under the header "individual liberty"
As far the section on marriage, try making a new section with the header "Family". Put his stance on marriage there, along with his position on allowing parents the right to homeschool their children if they choose.

That's my 2 cents. :)

MarximusMG
11-07-2011, 11:31 PM
is your target your fellow college students or GOP primary people?

anyway, you can rename that section to "Marriage" and quote him saying that no one should impose the definition of marriage to another person and that governments should stay out of the issue.

My immediate target would be my peers at the college I attend, but I'd like this to be usable by others as well, so as generic as it can be (while still staying relevant and accurate) is what I'm going for.

And as for renaming it as "Marriage" - I really like that idea! Don't know why I didn't think of that. :confused: I think it would still satisfy those who are looking for a direct answer to his stance on gay marriage, as well as stay true to his opposition to group rights.

harikaried
11-07-2011, 11:32 PM
One issue with flyers that contain all this information is that it breaks the rule of "stop selling when you've made a sale" because it increases the chance that the person will find something they don't like on the surface. Yes, if they do like one thing and can follow it back to the roots in liberty, they could then also find that what they don't like is actually also rooted in liberty, but without a lot of time, the person might just look elsewhere.

MarximusMG
11-07-2011, 11:37 PM
At the bottom of the flier. Direct them to the exact places to locate these sources of information for credibility.

I'd also really like to do this, but the fact is that this information has been gathered from various places, and there's not much room on the flyer to have a complete list of sources. I may just put the "Issues" link to the campaign website at the bottom.

Philosophy_of_Politics
11-07-2011, 11:37 PM
I'd also really like to do this, but the fact is that this information has been gathered from various places, and there's not much room on the flyer to have a complete list of sources. I may just put the "Issues" link to the campaign website at the bottom.

Include a source link, which directs them to an index of sources?

MarximusMG
11-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Maybe merge the DADT repeal with the privacy section, and place them under the header "individual liberty"
As far the section on marriage, try making a new section with the header "Family". Put his stance on marriage there, along with his position on allowing parents the right to homeschool their children if they choose.

That's my 2 cents. :)

Great suggestion, thanks!

As a side note, I'm VERY appreciative of everyone looking this over! I posted this on the DailyPaul forums about two days ago, and haven't gotten a reply on it yet. I'm shocked at how quickly I'm getting feedback here. My main goal is for this to accurately represent Dr. Paul, so I really appreciate all of your help as I refine it!

Another side note, I'm currently working on a second flyer that shows an even more brief explanation of each of the stances, but in a comparison view between Paul and the other top GOP candidates, as well as Obama. I've had so many people ask for a comparison like this so that they can see how his beliefs compare to the others that I just couldn't stop myself from trying that out as well. I believe that that may be even more powerful in some instances, as seeing a side-by-side view of his beliefs with others really sets him apart.

harikaried
11-07-2011, 11:42 PM
If you are looking to make a flyer with a bunch of information, you can use this as a reference:

http://www.ronpaulproducts.com/brochure3.html

sailingaway
11-07-2011, 11:57 PM
I think that's a great way to sum it up, but as for the header for that section, what do you think? I'm just thinking that, based on a lot of the interactions I've had with people lately, many individuals are curious as to what his beliefs are on gay marriage, so I want to specifically address that on this flyer.

I think low preference guy had the right idea, I think 'marriage' works or the 'family' idea. Collectivist headings are pretty divisive, it has an 'us against them' feel to it.

MarximusMG
11-07-2011, 11:58 PM
I'm calling it a night but will definitely work on changing up some things as soon as I get the chance to. In the meantime, if anyone sees anything else that you believe is inaccurate, please let me know. Thanks!

sailingaway
11-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Great suggestion, thanks!

As a side note, I'm VERY appreciative of everyone looking this over! I posted this on the DailyPaul forums about two days ago, and haven't gotten a reply on it yet. I'm shocked at how quickly I'm getting feedback here. My main goal is for this to accurately represent Dr. Paul, so I really appreciate all of your help as I refine it!

Another side note, I'm currently working on a second flyer that shows an even more brief explanation of each of the stances, but in a comparison view between Paul and the other top GOP candidates, as well as Obama. I've had so many people ask for a comparison like this so that they can see how his beliefs compare to the others that I just couldn't stop myself from trying that out as well. I believe that that may be even more powerful in some instances, as seeing a side-by-side view of his beliefs with others really sets him apart.

The DP is great but if someone doesn't comment quickly it falls of the first page, unless a mod 'stickies' it. I find the format here is usually better for projects, but the DP gets a ton of hits for spreading news around.

MarximusMG
11-07-2011, 11:59 PM
I think low preference guy had the right idea, I think 'marriage' works or the 'family' idea. Collectivist headings are pretty divisive, it has an 'us against them' feel to it.

I agree. Definitely makes sense.

MarximusMG
11-08-2011, 12:13 AM
If I change the header to "Marriage" as I'm planning on doing, would it seem out of place to still have the DADT portion in there?

Tod
11-08-2011, 12:13 AM
Here's another sample for you, although this is a double-sided flyer: http://www.PeppyPawsPoochPark.com/RonPaulFlyer.pdf

Yours looks better than mine, I think. What software did you use to create it? Thanks!

MarximusMG
11-08-2011, 08:39 AM
Here's another sample for you, although this is a double-sided flyer: http://www.PeppyPawsPoochPark.com/RonPaulFlyer.pdf

Yours looks better than mine, I think. What software did you use to create it? Thanks!

Thanks, I actually used Photoshop to make mine.

musicmax
11-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Change "five cabinets" to "five cabinet-level bureaucracies".

Paul is not "the only candidate to have served in the military" - Rick Perry was a Captain in the Air Force.

Defense - would add something regarding Paul's vote & resolution to specifically target Al Qaeda/OBL/perpetrators of 9/11.

Typo: "concering marriage" should be "concerning marriage".

MarximusMG
11-08-2011, 09:20 AM

Paul is not "the only candidate to have served in the military" - Rick Perry was a Captain in the Air Force.

Defense - would add something regarding Paul's vote & resolution to specifically target Al Qaeda/OBL/perpetrators of 9/11.

Thanks, musicmax. I wasn't even aware of Perry's service, so I'll definitely change that (this is exactly why I want to have as many people look over this, because I know that there are things that can be improved).

And I agree about hitting the point that he voted to target the perpetrators of 9/11.

Thanks again, everyone! Any opinions on whether or not I should even mention DADT when I change the "LGBT Rights" header to "Marriage"?

centure7
11-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Great flyer to hand to Democrats. I would feel embarrassed handing that to a Republican. LGBT rights? Seriously? Ummm, that should not be on the flyer, obviously. A Republican flyer should contain Republican issues only and not bother with the Democrat issues. Gay rights and abortion simply are not a priority issue group this election. Here are the priorities:
1. Government Spending/National Debt
2. Corruption/Dishonesty In Politics
3. The Economy/Business
4. Unemployment/Jobs
5. Taxes
6. Immigration

Source:
http://www.texastribune.org/texas-politics/republican-party-of-texas/gop-candidates-debate-but-on-which-issues/

Here is a one-page flyer for you:
Ron Paul is the one and only presidential candidate who has always been against the banker bailouts.
Ron Paul is the one and only presidential candidate who does not flip flop on the issues, with a 24-year record in congress to prove it.
Ron Paul is the one and only presidential candidate who expresses interest in opening up competition to the Federal Reserve Bank monopoly.
Ron Paul is the one and only presidential candidate who has never voted for an unbalanced budget, and has pledged to never do so.
Ron Paul is the one and only presidential candidate to volunteer to take the national median salary of $39,000 during the recession, while the rest will take the full $400,000.
Ron Paul is the one and only presidential candidate who is an experienced war veteran.
Ron Paul is the one and only presidential candidate who wishes to withdraw from over 700 military bases overseas.
Ron Paul is the one and only presidential candidate who will pardon people who are convicted of non-violent victimless crimes.
Ron Paul is the one and only political candidate who has never once voted for a tax increase, which is 24 years in congress in his case.

Social Conservative Appeal:
Ron Paul has been married to his first and only wife Carol since 1957. They have five children.
According to University of Georgia political scientist Keith Poole, Ron Paul had the most conservative voting record of any member of Congress since 1937.
Ron Paul and his entire family left the Episcopalian church after they adopted an official pro-choice doctrine.

Other Points:
Ron Paul rejects any ban OR legalization of abortion or gay marriage at the federal level because he believes its a matter strictly for states to decide upon.
Ron Paul proposed term-limit legislation multiple times.

Accomplishments:
As a physician, Ron Paul routinely lowered fees or worked for free with special needs cases, and refused to accept Medicaid or Medicare payments on the grounds that the programs are immoral, because people are forced to participate whether they'd like to or not.

Ron Paul served as a flight surgeon for the Air Force and also the National Guard from 1963 to 1965.

The first tea party events were grassroots efforts inspired by Ron Paul. "Tea Party 2007" was a fundraiser for Ron Paul's 2008 election. Tea Party 2008 was a Boston event where Ron Paul's son Rand Paul spoke of excessive government spending. When the bank bailouts sparked widespread tea party growth, Rand Paul became the first tea party US senator while in Kentucky.

Ron Paul studies economics as a hobby. He has been influenced by Friedrich Hayek, Ludwig von Mises, Ayn Rand, Hans Sennholz, and Murray Rothbard. He considers the Austrian theory of economics to be much more accurate than Keynesian theories. The day USA president Richard Nixon closed the gold window on August 15, 1971, Ron Paul decided to enter politics, saying later, "After that day, all money would be political money rather than money of real value. I was astounded." Since that point economics policy has been Ron Paul's primary issue.

Granted it isn't an issues flyer made according to the top 6 national issues, but I think its a hell of a lot better to hand to people than that one-pager in the OP.

MarximusMG
11-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Great flyer to hand to Democrats. I would feel embarrassed handing that to a Republican. LGBT rights? Seriously? Ummm, that should not be on the flyer, obviously. A Republican flyer should contain Republican issues only and not bother with the Democrat issues. Gay rights and abortion simply are not a priority issue group this election.

I appreciate your input, and I agree to a certain extent. If you read the previous posts, I plan on changing that header to "Marriage", as I had just used "LGBT Rights" as a placeholder. As I've mentioned already, I'm making this flyer based on the responses that I've received when trying to communicate who Ron Paul is to my peers. These are the issues that are most important to them. Please keep in mind that I'm in my early 20s and many of my peers may put emphasis on slightly different issues than individuals of different ages.

In addition to this, one thing that I admire so much about Dr. Paul is the fact that he has never come across as a demagogue. In all of his speeches that I've watched, the message stays constant, regardless of the audience. I understand that certain individuals will be persuaded or dissuaded by certain topics, but I don't see the harm in presenting as many of Dr. Paul's stances as possible in one clean document. So what's acceptable for a Democrat should be acceptable for a Republican, and vice versa, if the individual is using a logical approach to the issues in the context of liberty for all individuals. Just my take on it.

When I'm finished making the appropriate changes, if anyone still thinks that this flyer is something you'd never give to a Republican, that's totally fine. I hope that many of you are able to use it, however, and I know that it will be a powerful tool as I continue to spread the message with those I interact with.

musicmax
11-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks, musicmax. I wasn't even aware of Perry's service, so I'll definitely change that (this is exactly why I want to have as many people look over this, because I know that there are things that can be improved).

And I agree about hitting the point that he voted to target the perpetrators of 9/11.

Thanks again, everyone! Any opinions on whether or not I should even mention DADT when I change the "LGBT Rights" header to "Marriage"?

I would not.

MarximusMG
11-09-2011, 04:06 PM
I've made some changes to the document and updated the link. Anyone who is interested in looking it over can find the new link at the beginning of this thread.

sailingaway
11-09-2011, 04:08 PM
If I change the header to "Marriage" as I'm planning on doing, would it seem out of place to still have the DADT portion in there?

Yeah, probably. then it should go under 'individual rights, maybe, or something. That disruptive behavior by anyone can be stopped, with rules applicable to all, equally.

sailingaway
11-09-2011, 04:10 PM

He did better than vote for Afghanistan, reluctantly, he within weeks of 9/11 introduced letters of marque to go after Bin Laden and Al Queda using a small force, without going to war with an entire country. No one else was interested.

low preference guy
11-09-2011, 04:14 PM
I've made some changes to the document and updated the link. Anyone who is interested in looking it over can find the new link at the beginning of this thread or here: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/713/stances.jpg/

i like it.

MarximusMG
11-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks! I'll wait a while and if no one can find any inaccuracies that need to be changed I'll upload the final PDF (I can also change the QR code and description to link to ronpaul2012.com or ronpaulflix.com so that if anyone else wants to take advantage of this and spread it around they can).

centure7
11-09-2011, 06:22 PM
I've made some changes to the document and updated the link. Anyone who is interested in looking it over can find the new link at the beginning of this thread or here: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/713/stances.jpg/
Wow, what a difference. I'd hand that out to Republicans for sure. I'm not really so sure it got the total overhaul that it needed. Once again the top national issues are:
3. The Economy/Business
4. Unemployment/Jobs
5. Taxes
6. Immigration

The flyer should address #2 and #4 better. Here is some text for you to consider:
#2 Corruption: Unlike other candidates, Ron Paul does not regularly flip-flop on the issues. There is only one person lobbyists don't bother visiting and that is Ron Paul, because they know they'll have no effect on his vote.

#4 Jobs: Ron Paul will use the well-proven and practical principles of using the free market to jump-start job growth. Unlike unproductive government jobs created with debt that bring down our economy, private enterprise jobs are the foundation of American growth. By allowing the free marketplace to flourish, Ron Paul will finally give America the spark it needs to start growing again.

MarximusMG
11-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Wow, what a difference. I'd hand that out to Republicans for sure. I'm not really so sure it got the total overhaul that it needed. Once again the top national issues are:
3. The Economy/Business
4. Unemployment/Jobs
5. Taxes
6. Immigration

Centure7, I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. But either way, I appreciate your input and ideas. I would love to be able to cover all of those topics in more detail, and I just may end up doing that in a more in depth flyer in the future. However, as I've already mentioned, I'm first and foremost trying to reach those who I plan on interacting with and spreading the message to. And in this case, the topics that I've used on the flyer are what I've seen to be of most importance to them.

centure7
11-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I was dead serious. I'm very happy with the revisions. Its a totally different tone. I'd hand that out to Republicans and expect a positive response.

MarximusMG
11-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Ok, great. Sorry, wasn't totally sure. Sometimes when I'm just reading text I see sarcasm where it really isn't. :D

Eric21ND
11-09-2011, 08:35 PM

these are winning suggestions.

MarximusMG
11-11-2011, 12:04 AM
FINAL DOCUMENT: http://markmclachlan.posterous.com/ron-paul-2012

Thank you once again to everyone who provided input and helped me revise this! I hope that you'll be able to use this flyer and pass it along to others who will use it as well.

Eric21ND
11-11-2011, 06:04 AM
Great synopsis!

MarximusMG
11-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks! Feel free to share this!