PDA

View Full Version : Calling Iowans - importing Excel to Android

Tod
11-07-2011, 04:46 PM
I will give +rep gladly to anyone who could tell me what I need to do to take names/phone numbers that are in an Excel spreadsheet and IMPORT them to my Motorola Droid X2 phone so I don't have to type in hundreds of phone numbers. There surely is a way, but I don't have a clue how it might be done....

Thanks thanks thanks!

I'm calling a list of good folks in Iowa (the post last night asking for help)

RonPaulCult
11-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Did you try importing them into gmail first?

Tod
11-07-2011, 04:53 PM
no....I was just considering that idea....not sure how to do that yet....thanks

pipewerKz
11-07-2011, 04:58 PM
isn't there some kind of document program similar to openoffice for linux?

I can open up word/excel on my blackberry with documents to go.

Now that I google looks like Docs to go is available for Andriod: http://www.dataviz.com/products/documentstogo/android/

Tod
11-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Yes, there IS a spreadsheet, but I don't know how to dial an entry in a cell...don't see that option anywhere. Maybe I have to buy the full version? (the one that comes with the phone is really just a viewer..

pipewerKz
11-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Yeah, thats probably this issue. The viewing is free but not editing. Check around on some andriod forums, I'd image you can pick up one for cheap. I wouldn't want to tell you to buy it and it not give you what you need. Read the product description on the site.

TexMac
11-07-2011, 05:58 PM
If you figure this out let me know. I have an iphone, though.

harikaried
11-07-2011, 06:12 PM
What's wrong with dialing in the numbers by hand? I have my numbers to call sorted, so the prefix is mostly the same going from one number to the next.

KingRobbStark
11-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Get the excel app

Simple
11-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Save the spreadsheet as a CSV and use the iCSV app?

http://www.pcworld.com/appguide/app.html?id=461349&expand=false

Tod
11-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Question....if I save the spreadsheet as CSV and use iCSV, will they be stored in a separate phone book? I'd hate to have them all interspersed among MY contacts....

Also, in poking around in my ordinary Contacts list on the phone, I found a place for importing, so I chose the SD card as the source (options were Google or SD card) and of course since there was nothing there, it gave me an error: it is looking for a vCard file. Anyone know what a vCard file is and could I save the spreadsheet in that format?

Sorry for being so ignorant....

dannno
11-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Several ways including gmail, outlook at an "Import Contacts" app from the android store (free), just save your excel file as a csv (comma separated file)

http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/51123-importing-contacts-csv.html

harikaried
11-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Can't you just click a telephone link on Android (perhaps from a web browser?) to call that number? Just open the list of phone numbers as a web page and click away if you want to save time on dialing.

Although the bottleneck is rarely key-ing in the phone number.. It's mostly from waiting for people to pick up or not pick up.

walt
11-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Can I ask what we are doing to not call Iowa potential caucus attendees with 27 different Ron Paul supporters?

Prays to a higher power there is an answer to this question.