PDA

View Full Version : NH - Free Stater's wiretapping charges for recording cops dismissed by judge.

Anti Federalist
11-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Porcupine 411 in NH is 1-603-413-0411

http://nh.porcupine411.com/

Judge says recording police stop OK

Charge dismissed:
Weare man was exercising his First Amendment rights, ruling says.

http://nhlegalservices.com/News/NH-Judge-Upholds-Right-to-Record-Police-in-Public.aspx

By GARRY RAYNO

New Hampshire Union Leader

CONCORD – Citing a federal appeals court ruling, a Goffstown District Court judge dismissed a charge of unlawful wiretapping against a Weare man who used his cell phone’s voice mail to record a traffic stop by a police officer.

Judge Edward Tenney cited a First Circuit Court of Appeals order in August in the case Glik v. Cunniffe in making his ruling. “The Glik holding makes it perfectly clear that First Amendment protections apply to both audio and video recording.”

William Alleman - was charged in February with violating the state’s felony wiretapping law when he recorded his traffic stop by a Weare police officer. The traffic stop occurred in July 2010; Alleman was not cited for any violation until last February.

When he was charged, Weare police said Alleman made an audio recording of the police officer without his consent.

Alleman was one of three people charged over an 18-month period by Weare police for either video- or audio-taping arrests by police. The charges against the two other people were dropped.

Alleman’s attorney, Seth Hipple, said from the beginning his position has been that Alleman’s recording was not a violation of state law, but “the Glik opinion came out a week or two after we had our hearing on the motion, and that made a strong case even stronger.”

Hipple of the Concord law firm of Martin & Hipple, PLLC, said the law has always been clear, but some police departments have not been clear about it.

In court, Hipple argued Alleman had a First Amendment right to record a public official conducting his duties in a public place, that public officials conducting their business in a public place have no reasonable expectation of privacy and the defendant did not “intercept” any oral communications with an electronic device other than a telephone.

In the Glik case, Simon Glik, a Boston attorney, was arrested for filming police officers arresting a man on Boston Common.

The First Circuit Court ruled “a citizen’s right to film government officials, including law enforcement officers, in the discharge of their duties in a public place is a basic, vital, and well-established liberty safeguarded by the First Amendment.”

In the Goffstown District Court ruling, Tenney wrote “Glik leaves no doubt that engaging in an audio recording of a police officer in the course of his official duties in a public place is protected speech under the First Amendment.”

The judge also noted Alleman did nothing to interfere with the officer as he performed his duties.

“The fact that Officer (Brandon) Montplaisir may have been unwilling or unhappy being recorded does not make a lawful exercise of the defendant’s First Amendment rights a crime,” the judge wrote.

After Alleman made the recording of the July 10, 2010, traffic stop, he posted it to a public web site.

Alleman was stopped after he left a gathering in support of Palmer’s Tavern owner George Hodgdon, who had been arrested for interfering with an assault investigation.

Alleman has said he was followed by a police officer when he left the gathering, and as Montplaisir approached his vehicle, he made a cell phone call to Porcupine411, an answering service for Libertarian activists in trouble with police.

“The fact that Officer (Brandon) Montplaisir may have been unwilling or unhappy being recorded does not make a lawful exercise of the defendant’s First Amendment rights a crime.”

Keith and stuff
11-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Good story. There is a blog about this. Look for the blog to be in the next edition of the FSP News, the electronic newsletter for the FSP.

The Union Leader Right to Record Trifecta
Submitted by Keith and Stuff on Sun, 2011-11-06 13:40.
http://www.freestateblogs.net/node/12930

The President of the FSP was charged with this law. The charges were dropped but she is suing the government. We shall see what happens.

NH law is very clear on this issue, it is legal to record police while they are doing their job in public. "On the job, on the record."

Orgoonian
11-07-2011, 05:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgoXUzIwXk0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgoXUzIwXk0

Kylie
11-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Wish we had something like that here in IL.

Glad to see justice prevail :)

Agorism
11-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Trumping up phony charges that eventually get dismissed is no skin off their back though.

Keith and stuff
11-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Trumping up phony charges that eventually get dismissed is no skin off their back though.

Weare PD has a national reputation for being corrupt. They have the worst reputation in NH. The Union Leader regularly calls them out.

Though, you are likely correct :(

J-Reg
11-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Here is a link with something similar, it actually mentions Ron Paul too: /usnews/constitution/9647-dhs-brings-anti-terrorist-message-to-hotel-rooms

Agorism
11-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Well it's just like a bogus speeding or traffic ticket of some sort. You have to prepare for your court and think through your argument, you have to take a half day off or a whole a day, you have to drive to court and wait and wait until you're eventually called. If you manage to win, that saves you the ticket, but it only took the officer 3 minutes to give it to you, and he probably completely forgot about the whole incident by the time you're in court while you've been agonizing about it for weeks.

So winning these cases kind of means you beat the system but kind of not.

FSP-Rebel
11-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Word, Bill.

John F Kennedy III
11-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Why did they feel the need to include his home address in the story?

Anti Federalist
11-07-2011, 11:53 PM
Why did they feel the need to include his home address in the story?

Public record when you get arrested.

ETA - That said, I'm not going to help the fuckers.

Deleted.

nobody's_hero
11-08-2011, 03:47 AM
I'm kind of curious in regard to how the First Amendment 'free speech' encompasses 'free listening'.

Then again, that actually make this story even more exciting to liberty lovers. I can't recall when the Bill of Rights has been stretched so much in favor of protecting liberty, rather than twisting the BoR to squeeze in more power for the government.

I'm not complaining, I just wasn't expecting the judge to use the first amendment as basis for throwing out the charges. I don't know what he would have used, maybe the 10th Amendment? ". . . Rights left to the state or individual"

Anti Federalist
11-08-2011, 03:57 AM
I'm kind of curious in regard to how the First Amendment 'free speech' encompasses 'free listening'.

Then again, that actually make this story even more exciting to liberty lovers. I can't recall when the Bill of Rights has been stretched so much in favor of protecting liberty, rather than twisting the BoR to squeeze in more power for the government.

I'm not complaining, I just wasn't expecting the judge to use the first amendment as basis for throwing out the charges. I don't know what he would have used, maybe the 10th Amendment? ". . . Rights left to the state or individual"

I might have been inclined to approach from a Fourth Amendment angle, myself.

"The state has claimed the right to stick cameras in our face everywhere we go, watching, monitoring and recording us, claiming that we have no expectation of privacy in a public place. Well, citizens have the same right."

Rael
11-08-2011, 04:39 AM

Two sides of the same coin. If I am free to speak but you are not free to hear it, it has the same effect as taking away my right to speak.

nobody's_hero
11-08-2011, 03:31 PM
I might have been inclined to approach from a Fourth Amendment angle, myself.

"The state has claimed the right to stick cameras in our face everywhere we go, watching, monitoring and recording us, claiming that we have no expectation of privacy in a public place. Well, citizens have the same right."

That would have been the approach I'd have expected. I don't think I've ever seen the 1st amendment used from this angle but things worked in freedom's favor, this time.