PDA

View Full Version : How to contact the older demographic

Merridith
11-07-2011, 05:10 AM
Ron Paul is well supported with the younger demographic.

But he is never going to win unless there is a concentrated outreach to those that mostly get their news from traditional news sources. Those sources have blacked us out. The reality of the situation is that the older demographic vote is what will ultimately control the GOP elections. They have the greater physical numbers, the greatest GOP influence and are statistically most likely to vote.

Young people are busy talking to young people. Traditionally people tend to stay within their own age clique. The 10% threshold (http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-07/rpi-mrs072511.php) which is the percent of committed opinion holders required to shift majority opinion has probably been reached on university campuses.

The only way to break this is a concentrated effort to reach the older demographic. Since traditional media will continue to block all Ron Paul information - the only way to do this is by direct contact.

My idea is to model on a very successful cancer awareness fundraising technique (http://www.biggestmorningtea.com.au/) that was used in Australia. Organized online (where our committed Paulites are) - but staged block by block - in coffee shops, picnics and in people's homes. All you need is some tea and a few (home-made or bought) muffins or cookies plus a video of one of Ron Paul's speeches. The reality of the situation is that this isn't just a vote between parties - a Ron Paul choice is a revolutionary choice. That kind of choice requires one-to-one education.

A recently published article suggests that convenience will increase voter turn-out (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111031132211.htm). I suspect it is also the same when it comes to distributing information. Make it simple. Make it fun. Make the individual events small.

vechorik
11-09-2011, 10:55 AM
deleted

trey4sports
11-09-2011, 11:00 AM
maybe we could get Ron Paul a guest spot on Young and the Restless?

KCIndy
11-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Older Christians look for the "I stand with Israel" pledge and "I am a Christian" from candidates and for some reason, think Dr. Paul doesn't quality.
I spend most of my time defending the "I like Ron Paul, but I don't like his foreign policy" people and showing where Dr. Paul is a Christian who is pro-life.

Let's face it, older people are ignorant of Ron Paul and just haven't done their homework. I guess it's a matter of getting them to at least look at him.
"Check out Ron Paul" won't work because, they won't do it.

vechorik, first of all, welcome to Ron Paul Forums!

I can certainly sympathize with your struggle in getting people to take a closer look at Dr. Paul, especially the parts I quoted above. I'm in my mid 40s and it has been (and continues to be) my experience that most folks older than 20something are getting their news only from the major networks and cable TV channels. That means their impression of Ron Paul, if they have even heard of him, are just as you list above.

It's going to take a lot of direct contact and face to face communication to break through this paradigm. I can see no other way of doing it.

Simple
11-09-2011, 11:55 AM
How about an AARP style ad with a series of older women telling us how they feel about Ron Paul. I'm becoming increasingly convinced that its not logic and being right on the issues that will bring people in, its disarming their prejudices. Everyone I talk to that has heard of Ron Paul likes him, they just have reservations and I don't think the Peter Schiff approach can overcome these.

They could discuss:
-Putting Americans first instead of foreign governments, banks, and special interests
-Putting forth a budget Rush Limbaugh could support
-Trying to address our debt without cutting social security and medicare
-Trying to protect and restore the rule of law and our Constitution with the support of Tea Party to take down the liberal neocon movement that has moved the Republican Party to the left

Emptyeternity
11-09-2011, 12:22 PM
As an insurance broker that specializes in Senior Care I have noticed that going door to door with a data list specifically bought for the area, or local voter registration lists.

The other thing to do is ask your local library or Senior Center to host a GET TO KNOW A CANDIDATE forum, with you doing Ron Paul, a former Veteran and Doctor. Also, things to mention are how voting for Ron will affect them. Focus on Medicare, SS, Living Standard, Benefits Benefits Benefits!!!

Take it from the number one profession that markets to old people, these are the BEST WAYS.