PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Policy - Suggested clarification

TheTexan
11-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Considering the magnitude of effect this would have if Dr. Paul were to clarify his position in such a way, I felt this deserved its own thread

I think I would try to explain my position on Iran like this:

"I certainly don't believe that it's in our best interests for Iran to develop a nuclear weapon, but I simply believe that a policy of deterrence is better than a policy of intervention. Rather than starting another war with Iran or starving their people, I would have the same policy towards Iran that we had towards the Soviets. I would build up our own defenses here at home and basically do everything I could to try to scare the Iranian leaders. I would develop a missile defense system that's capable of knocking down a missile that contains a nuclear warhead. If we did this, it would act as a deterrent against Iran's nuclear program, and we would be able to defend ourselves in the event that Iran tried to attack us. Lastly, I would keep the military option on the table if there was an imminent threat to our national security. If we had intelligence reports that showed that Iran was planning to attack us within a matter of hours or days, I wouldn't hesitate to use military action in order to defend this country."