PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on how to handle the Iran Question

Lysander
11-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Ron Paul will be asked about this over and over again. There is a part of the Republican base for whom a weak answer is a deal breaker. Here is how RP might handle the question in a strong way while maintaining all of the principles that make him the greatest presidential candidate in the last 60-70 years.

1) Are you not concerned that Iran might develop nuclear weapons in the near future?

RP: Of course the fewer nuclear weapons on the planet the better. But in all honesty, since we have 10,000 nukes ourselves, I can't say the prospect that Iran might have one or two several years from now is the greatest threat the US faces at this time.

2) Aren't you worried that they might attack Israel?

RP: Not really. Israel has 300 nukes themselves. They have everything they need to defend themselves against any possible Iranian attack. And despite what people tell you, the Iranians are not going to commit national suicide.

3) But you cannot guarantee they wont attack Israel. It is possible they will nuke Israel or the US.

RP: I don't believe that for an instant. And are suggesting we should go to war to prevent every hypothetical situation you can think of? We are going broke fighting the wars we have now.

4) Well what would you do to prevent Iran from gaining nuclear weapons?

RP: What is being done right now? We've had sanctions and threats of war for years and yet according to you, Iran is on the verge of developing nukes. Clearly the policy we have in place has failed completely. That leaves us a choice of all out war, which would be catastrophic for the interests of the US and most of the world, or a de-escalation of our conflict with Iran. As president, I would pursue the latter course.

5) Surely you would not lift sanctions on Iran.

RP: Why not? We have now sanctioned ourselves out of all influence. Since there is no trade between us and Iran, they have nothing to loose. On the other hand, with normal trade and business relations between us, the Iranians would have something valuable they would wish to protect.

The important thing is that Ron Paul rehearse these answers and learn to say them WITH CONFIDENCE. That is what people respond to. And while there are diehard neocons and Israel partisans who will never be persuaded by anything less than a promise to go to war, I suspect many in the Republican base will respond positively to these answers.