PDA

View Full Version : General Herman Cain Hoopla and Tax Plans

axlr
11-05-2011, 10:37 PM
First and foremost I wanted to say a quick introduction, as I am new here. I'm Travis, from Texas, and I'm an avid Ron Paul supporter. I support Paul because I'm a Libertarian who believes in a system of strict constitutionalism.

Now, diving right into the topic, I do not understand this hoopla over Herman Cain. I've sat in awe for the past several weeks, bamboozled at how Cain is surging in the polls. It seems like after he won that Florida straw poll, his popularity has just continued to rise. (Granted the media, Faux News and others, have generously helped him)

I don't understand why people are hopping on board with Cain's "999" plan. An additional 9% sales tax on top of what states already have? (In Texas we have 8.125%) So I have to pay 17.125% sales tax? I'm sorry, that is absolutely absurd. In my opinion the idea of having an additional 9% sales tax should immediately turn everyone off of the plan. I know Cain might be a charismatic sweet talker to some, but I have no idea how he is selling that so well. (Personally I do not believe he is all that charismatic, that "Apples and Oranges" thing he pulled was just stupid, and his constant endorsements of "999" piss me off)

It also perplexes me that Cain isn't really slipping in the polls, considering he is a bigger flip-flopper than Romney. (Granted it took years for Romney to change his views, it takes Cain a couple of minutes to say one thing then say another) The biggest example being the whole "electrified fence" thing and his inability to apologize properly, without retracting or contradicting his statements. And this sexual harassment "thing" doesn't seem to be hurting him all that bad either, with the RCP Average still showing him at 25.5%.

For the record, I'm not really liking Perry's tax plan either. 20% seems way to high to me. Granted I think 0% is the best number, but if it (the I.R.S.) were to stay, I'd want the number to be lower.
I also don't like Perry's 'post-card' gimmick, and I hope people have the common sense to see through that. In addition, I'm not too fond of this, "I'll bump plans with you brother," nonsense.
I'm glad Perry is slipping in the polls, and I hope he continues to fall.

With all of this being said, I cross Cain out like I cross Bachmann and Huntsman out, and in all honesty, for the same reasons. They...Are...All...Nuts.
So, can anybody here explain to me why Herman Cain is so popular at the moment?

John F Kennedy III
11-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Because 95% of the public are sheeple who will do what the Idiot Box tells them to. These are the same people that previously supported Perry and Bachmann because they were told to.

Kords21
11-05-2011, 10:50 PM
The only thing I can think of to answer your question is that Cain's rise is TPTB's practical joke on the people. Consider it a measuring stick to see how far they've lowered the collective intelligence. As far as Cain's "victory" in Florida he pretty much bought that vote. A real AstroTurf win if there ever was one.

bb_dg
11-05-2011, 11:00 PM
His explanation for the 9% sales tax is that currently, there are a lot of federal taxes that are charged in the process of making products that it increases the price of those things. Those federal taxes would be replaced by the single 9% tax, so the prices of goods wouldn't be increased because that taxes that are already on them in their creation would be replaced (That's what he claims anyway).

One thing that he is not honest about is that when he is asked about lower income households having to pay more in taxes under 999. He claims it is revenue neutral, assuming that's true, he is also lowering the taxes for the wealthiest Americans, but in order to be revenue neutral while also decreasing taxes for a certain group of people, obviously he would have to increase taxes for a different group of people to compensate. Every time he is asked about this, he dodges the question and tells everyone to do their own calculations. Politically that is a better move, though dishonest.

The reason why people like Hermain Cain is the same reason why liberals liked Obama in 2008. He is a black guy with a personality. He is relatively new to the political field (actually not really, but Cain's supporters are under this impression). Even though he is inexperienced, especially on issues like foreign policy, he has advisers to help him with that stuff. People just like him as a person, and they have a lot of "HOPE" that he will do well. It's the Obama campaign all over again, but on the Republican side. People have completely forgotten why they were fed up with the government in the first place. They say they are against the establishment, which is the reason why they are not Romney supporters, but Cain has supported everything that the establishment has done.