PDA

View Full Version : Comcast is about to introduce a tiered Internet based on PROTOCOLS!

Starks
11-06-2007, 11:12 AM
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/comcast_filtering_for_profit_a_three_phase_plan_to _right_size_consumer_bandwidth

I'm on the fence with regard to net neutrality, but Comcast is absolutely shitting on the consumer through ISP lock-in.

Man from La Mancha
11-06-2007, 11:17 AM
The stupid cheap as******, they ran copper cables instead of fiber optics to every house and now they complain of bandwidth? Looks like a pretty inept company. let the free market decide and I will switch over to an optic line when they have one for me.

freelance
11-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Is this a JOKE?

Starks
11-06-2007, 11:32 AM
The stupid cheap as******, they ran copper cables instead of fiber optics to every house and now they complain of bandwidth? Looks like a pretty inept company. let the free market decide and I will switch over to an optic line when they have one for me.

In some cases, Comcast is the sole broadband ISP for an entire region.

Starks
11-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Is this a JOKE?

For now... Yes. But who knows what kind of crap they'll pull in the future.

katao
11-06-2007, 11:35 AM
It is a joke.

werdd
good thing im with suddenlink, formerly cox. My bandwidth has increased two fold in the past 2 years.

freelance
I thought so, but after I restarted my heart, I actually called Comcast while I waited on an answer from you guys.

Zarxrax
11-06-2007, 12:23 PM
We have one weapon in our arsenal that makes any kind of net neutrality law or regulation irrelevant: the internet itself. As more and more policies like this come in place, people will find ways around it. More and more people will bypass it, and eventually they will get the message. Just like they can't stop people from sharing files, they wont be able to stop us from using the protocols that we want to use.

FrankRep
11-06-2007, 12:29 PM
People need to learn how to mass boycott.
Internet companies better not try tiered levels.

rodent
11-06-2007, 01:00 PM
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/comcast_filtering_for_profit_a_three_phase_plan_to _right_size_consumer_bandwidth

I'm on the fence with regard to net neutrality, but Comcast is absolutely shitting on the consumer through ISP lock-in.

lol. I'm going to start tunneling all my traffic over telnet sessions then.

Malakai0
11-06-2007, 01:32 PM
So don't use comcast. In most area's there are several smaller ISP's that lease major provider infrastructure. In my area alone we have verizon fios, bright house cable net, and a half a dozen smaller companies that run over BH cable and verizon phone lines for DSL.

Zarxrax
11-06-2007, 03:16 PM
So don't use comcast. In most area's there are several smaller ISP's that lease major provider infrastructure. In my area alone we have verizon fios, bright house cable net, and a half a dozen smaller companies that run over BH cable and verizon phone lines for DSL.

I would disagree that "most areas" have a lot of choice. In many areas, there are maybe only 2 choices.