PDA

View Full Version : The 2012 Speculatron - Ron Paul's week

Dianne
11-05-2011, 02:26 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/04/the-2012-speculatron-week_n_1076967.html#s445008&title=Ron_Paul

While Ron Paul had the occasion to defend his student loan plan from charges that he intended to immediately eliminate federal student loan programs, this hasn't been a week where he's made a lot of news. Normally, a week in which the media largely ignores Paul is one that leads his campaign and its supporters to complain about being shoved out of sight. But since the conversation has been centered on Herman Cain's sexual harassment allegations, you have to figure that it's as good a week as any for Paul to stay away from the spotlight.

Paul's been calling for a more substantive debate overall, and his campaign has made it clear that it's just not interested in getting caught up in Herman Cain's nonsense. As his campaign chairman Jesse Benton told Politico: "We plan to beat Herman Cain on the issues, like his support for TARP and his cozy relationship with the Federal Reserve, not by assaulting his character." And this is just the ever-consistent Paul, being consistent.

Paul also indicated this week that he's cautiously optimistic about the Occupy Wall Street demonstrations:

"I think it's both very good, and very risky," he said in an interview with The Des Moines Register. "I think there are a few that attend these rallies that actually want more government -- they want to just tax people more and believe if we just taxed the 1 percent, it could solve all the problems.

"That, to me, is a risky idea." Paul continued. "But I think that the majority of them think government is the problem and taxes are too high and they know that the Federal Reserve plays a role in this, which, of course, is something I agree with."

It's debatable whether the #OWS crowd is a majority of dyed-in-the-wool Paulites, but the candidate's acolytes have been a presence at the Occupy demonstrations, and seem to have integrated themselves well with the other demonstrators. There's a lot of common ground to be shared, after all. From an outsider standpoint, Paul's "Very good...very risky," is a fair and cogent assessment, and naturally, one would hope that Paul is fully in favor of the right of assembly.