PDA

View Full Version : WH rejects subpoena request for Solyndra docs

Agorism
11-04-2011, 06:38 PM
WH rejects subpoena request for Solyndra docs

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/wh-rejects-subpoena-request-solyndra-docs

President Obama's attorney sent a letter to Congressional investigators on Friday, saying the White House would not cooperate with a subpoena requesting documents related to its doling out a $535 million loan guarantee to now bankrupt solar panel manufacturer Solyndra.

"I can only conclude that your decision to issue a subpoena, authorized by a party-line vote, was driven more by partisan politics than a legitimate effort to conduct a responsible investigation," Obama's counsel, Kathryn Ruemmler, wrote in a letter to the top Republicans on the House Energy and Commerce committee. (Read Ruemmler's full letter here).

Committee chairman Rep. Fred Upton, R-Mich, blasted the White House response:

“We have been reasonable every step of the way in this investigation, and it is a shame that the Obama Administration and House Democrats continue to put up partisan roadblocks to hide the truth from taxpayers. Solyndra was a jobs program gone bad, and we must learn the lessons of Solyndra as we work to turn our economy around and put folks back to work. Our judicious and methodical work over the last eight months has garnered tens of thousands of pages of documents from DOE and OMB that have proven we are on the right track. Now, we need to know the White House’s role in the Solyndra debacle in order to learn the full truth about why taxpayers now find themselves a half billion dollars in the hole. The White House could have avoided the need for subpoena authorizations if they had simply chosen to cooperate. That would have been the route we preferred, and frankly, it would have been better for the White House to get the information out now, rather than continue to drag this out. Our request for documents is reasonable - we are not demanding the President’s blackberry messages as we are respectful of Executive Privilege. What is the West Wing trying to hide? We owe it to American taxpayers to find out.”

ZanZibar
11-04-2011, 09:37 PM
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/Obama/n214902021_30760649_5122.jpg

low preference guy
11-04-2011, 09:46 PM
how can you "reject" a subpoena? do you have a quote saying they won't show the documents? i can't find it.

Agorism
11-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Maybe he uses the usual.

"Executive privilege"

Stalling knowing the Democrats will always back you no matter what

"National Security"

Original_Intent
11-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Once you let them declare war on their own, they think they can get away with anything.

Wolverine302
11-05-2011, 07:54 AM
From my constitutional law professor:

The White House/President will claim executive privilege if the emails being circulated are at the highest levels with the President. Congress (Republicans) will be claiming its right to investigate. Most likely the issue will be negotiated between the two parties. If there is no compromise, then the courts may be asked to intervene. How might they decide such an issue? A political question? Or - see U.S. v. Nixon - an issue for judges to sort through. In the meantime, Congress has plenty of firepower to press its request. And the President has plenty of firepower to resist if he can keep public opinion on his side. And the media will love the fight and pile on.

AlexAmore
11-05-2011, 10:22 AM
"Going forward, anytime the American people want to know something that I or a former president wants to withhold, we will have to consult with the Attorney General and the white house counsel, whose business it is to ensure compliance with the rule of law. Information will not be withheld just because I say so; it will be withheld because a separate authority believes my request is well-grounded in the Constitution. Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency,"

Agorism
11-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Why aren't we getting documents on that arms smuggling thing ummm fast and furious as well.

Miss Annie
11-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Once you let them declare war on their own, they think they can get away with anything.

This!