PDA

View Full Version : I support Ron Paul, but would Congress support him?

donator
06-15-2007, 05:24 AM
I support Ron Paul, except for his views on drugs, but that is besides the point. Let's imagine that he does get elected as President. He wants to abolish the IRS, FEMA, Department of Education, Energy, etc. In the grand scheme of things, it makes sense and I think America would be better off. However, does anyone think that Congress (whether it be a democratic or republican Congress) will ever pass such acts? Please discuss.

foofighter20x
06-15-2007, 05:28 AM
Probably not.

They'd be too split down partisan lines to override vetoes probably, except maybe on omnibus pork bills.

rockfree33
06-15-2007, 05:29 AM
I don't think anyone in Congress would like him, he would probably get rid of the pension program for them. Which makes sense, you enter politics because you want to serve the people, not profit from it.

donator
06-15-2007, 05:34 AM
If he gets elected, I fear that he will be blamed for inaction when it is in fact due to Congress. Let's face it, many Americans are not that smart. They will probably blame him and label him as stubborn or ignorant after he vetos all the spending bills or tries to abolish all of the departments.

As much as I support Ron, does anyone else feel that it would be a waste of his talents and time of he was elected President since Congress wouldn't support him?

kimosabi
06-15-2007, 05:42 AM
This is easily fixed, we need some Ron Paul clones to run for congress, and these people need to be elected by the people into congress...

orenbus
06-15-2007, 06:01 AM
If Ron Paul got elected it would mean there's been a national shift in how the public looks at politics. I don't think the typical congress vs. the president gridlock would be as much of an issue. Mainly because if Ron Paul gets into office anyone in congress that will seem like putting up road blocks to the reasons why Ron Paul became president would end up not be re-elected or more likely impeached by a public that has decided to take a more active role in governments relationship to its citizens and the rest of the world. He'll literally make any devisive senators or representatives famous as bureacrats and paper pushers that stand against the american people's will.

foofighter20x
06-15-2007, 06:36 AM
If he gets elected, I fear that he will be blamed for inaction when it is in fact due to Congress. Let's face it, many Americans are not that smart. They will probably blame him and label him as stubborn or ignorant after he vetos all the spending bills or tries to abolish all of the departments.

As much as I support Ron, does anyone else feel that it would be a waste of his talents and time of he was elected President since Congress wouldn't support him?

He'd be more likely to take credit for that. :p :D

Besides, all he'd have to do is get on TV and give the people a little tutorial on the Constitution and what limited government really means as understood by the Founding Fathers. Believe it or not, most people are pretty trusting of the President, barring the current holder of that title. They typically will give the Pres a little play in that arena.

beermotor
06-15-2007, 06:48 AM
The thing he would do is, he would put extreme pressure on Congress. Because he would be popularly elected, have a national podium from which to get the Message out, and THAT would put extreme pressure on elected "representatives" to actually do what the people want done, i.e. fix everything that is broken in this country (which is a mighty big list). The Executive does have a lot of power over a lot of things, but it cannot accomplish everything. What he can do is veto every spending bill that comes across his desk - Congress would have to override, which is HIGHLY unlikely if we have a very active president who is constantly educating the public (and who is also popular - I am assuming he catches fire and people start realizing he's right).

Man from La Mancha
06-15-2007, 06:48 AM
Any congressman can be impeached in a matter months thru the states they represent. It only takes a petition of x amount by the states citizens to kick the bums out or change. And don't you think when Paul gets elected that the ones that elected him will be in such numbers that this would be easy.

Second any bogus act that did not meet the law of the land, the Constitution, could be eliminated on that basis alone. Plus every excecutive ordrer cancelled immediately since that too is unconstitutional.

beermotor
06-15-2007, 06:49 AM
This is easily fixed, we need some Ron Paul clones to run for congress, and these people need to be elected by the people into congress...

And you can bet that will start happening as well, especially if President Paul's approval ratings are very high and incumbent Congress members numbers are very low (as they will be).

lucky
06-15-2007, 07:25 AM
And you can bet that will start happening as well, especially if President Paul's approval ratings are very high and incumbent Congress members numbers are very low (as they will be).

I can guarantee that these politicians that stick their finger in the air to see which way to go would be the first to get on the band wagon. After he is elected we will go after and look for candidates that feel the same as us.

Revolutions start with one man but end up with many.

tnvoter
06-15-2007, 08:43 AM
if the support of the people is behind Ron Paul - the congress (republicans anyways) will have to follow suit, for risk their own seat. this is politics.

angelatc
06-15-2007, 08:49 AM
The republicans are hungry for popular leader. If Paul won, I think Pelosi would hate him because that's just who she is. I think a lot of the centerists might align with him to try to catch the wave of popularity it would take to get him into office.

The biggest obstacle is the getting past the money men.

LibertyEagle
06-15-2007, 08:52 AM

Absolutely. If Ron Paul starts registering higher in the polls and finishes in the top 3 in say, Iowa and New Hampshire, I would expect to see more than a few Ron Paul lites running for office. :D