PDA

View Full Version : DailyKos Takes Notice of RP--BIG TIME

freelance
11-06-2007, 10:16 AM
From Kos himself (unless someone hacked this)

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/11/6/11258/6081

The most impressive online campaign this cycle
by kos
Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 07:58:44 AM PST

it's not any Democrat -- it's crazy-assed Ron Paul.

Ron Paul has raised 3.5 million from over 22,000 donors with just under 4 hours left in the day. Paul has also passed Mitt Romney’s one day haul of 3.1 million dollars in a single day fund raising effort, making it the largest one day fund raising effort among all Republicans this campaign.

The eventual number raised Monday was around $3.8 million, with 35,000 contributors. And amazingly, it had nothing to do with Paul's campaign. His supporters decided on their own to do a flash mob fundraiser and pulled it off handily. Paul's haul for the quarter is already $7.2 million, which is well on its way to leading the GOP pack the last three months of the year. Meanwhile, his supporters are banned from Republican websites like Red State and establishment Republicans try to find ways to keep him out of their debates. Pretty funny.

This is the single biggest example of people-power this cycle. And as annoying as it is that we're seeing it from a Republican -- and a crazy one at that -- it's nevertheless a beautiful thing to behold. Jerome explains why it's happening:

Our frontrunner websites, Obama, Clinton, and Edwards websites are much too inward-looking, and are walled off websites for the most part. HillaryHub-- if under-developed-- is a step in the right direction, the Edwards effort of blog outreach has been terrific lately, and Obama did early-on rocket through support on MySpace & Facebook. And in fact, fundraising-wise, no one could complain, but the Democratic campaigns have become a little too complacent in viewing how the web works, and can learn some real lessons from Ron Paul in doing outreach from within the candidate's website.

Look how, on his website, how Paul pushes his supporters out onto the social networking platforms of Technorati, del.icio.us, Digg, Facebook, Stumble Upon, and Newsvine.

Its a brilliant tactic, because rather than having to develop these costly platforms that take up valuable time, or rely upon closed vendor systems that use laggard technology, the campaign just uses the existing infrastructure built by others for that specific vertical. There is no RonPaul2008.com community. Instead, it exists out on the web, outside the campaign website walls. So rather than all their own supporters talking to eachother, they are forced to congregate in places where others that don't support Paul gather. Evangelize. Outreach.

And the way Paul's campaign has done it, by not setting up a social networking account on every new-fangled socnet site, but by targeting a few and then expanding, is also the way to go. The Paul campaign recognizes decentralized, organic signs of Paul community, and then officially sanctions the congregation through post links on their website-- start going here. The Paul campaign didn't directly create ThisNovember5th.com, but they did create embrace the environment where it could happen.

There's a ton of good lessons there for future campaigns to learn. Paul's internet team -- out of necessity, no doubt -- have been brilliantly efficient and effective in evangelizing their candidate on social networks throughout the web. The cost is likely negligible -- a couple of staffers -- while the payoff speaks for itself.

jamesmadison
11-06-2007, 10:41 AM
The neocon democrats are cringing because free thinking democratic voters will not vote for Hillary and would jump ship to Paul.

trispear
11-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Lots of words to try to figure out and miss the obvious - Paul excites people and they go out and do things for him. No other candidates really can tap into grassroots because you don't build grassroots from the top-down to begin with, but from the bottom up.

jamesmadison
11-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Lots of words to try to figure out and miss the obvious - Paul excites people and they go out and do things for him. No other candidates really can tap into grassroots because you don't build grassroots from the top-down to begin with, but from the bottom up.

Their flaw is they're trying to dissect why the campaign is so popular online and through what venues they operate. The truth is the campaign is so popular because the ideas of freedom are a creation of humanity that ring bells in the minds of individuals.

The rest is history.

Badger Paul
11-06-2007, 10:53 AM
The reality is the official campaign has grown around what already existed on the web. It's not something they've directed or strategized. It's something they've latched onto. Without the web, the Paul campaign really would be at the same level as Tancredo or Hunter or Kunicich.

I think I and many others have been waiting for years for Ron Paul to make another run for President as a Republican and when he announced that support just coalasced and grew.

ConstitutionGal
11-06-2007, 10:53 AM
These folks are still just not getting it - it was the campaign that jumped on the Internet band-wagon after the fact. They just tapped into what was already taking off on the 'net. These folks just refuse to believe what's really happening here - which is probably best for us in the long run.

kalami
11-06-2007, 11:05 AM
I always thought Paul's success was because he linked to myspace and flickr on his website.

PaleoForPaul
11-06-2007, 11:07 AM
The campaign had little to do with it, the internet always skewed libertarian, heck even slashdot does.

Places like Digg helped it out, but really it's just the fact that Paul has a younger fan base, and a clear message that people can get excited over.

There are so many things that factored into his success (his message, the medium, the political climate, the field of other politicians) that it really couldn't be replicated by the others.

LinearChaos
11-06-2007, 11:24 AM
People aren't energized by Paul because he links to sites like Digg. They are energized by Paul because they actually like Paul.

jmdrake
11-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Others have said the obvious already. Ron Paul didn't build the grassroots support. The grassroots support convinced Ron Paul to run. Ron Paul said this himself. Democrats are desperately trying to tap into this by the "draft Al Gore" effort. (A local Dennis Kucinich Meetup leader was circulating a "Draft Al Gore" petition.)

Further it's not like this campaigning is "new". I noticed that "kos" didn't mention Meetup. But the big story in 2004 was how Howard Dean organized on Meetup and through raised funds through his blog. Howard Dean is the head of which party now?

The real story here is how "kos" has sold out (even he wasn't sold out already). He's still gushing about Hillary when she's backed by Faux News? He's still gushing over Hillary when she's gotten more donations from defense contractors than any other candidate? DailyKos is now officially in bed with the same military industrial complex they claims to be against. They are neoconlibs.

Regards,

John M. Drake

werdd
11-06-2007, 11:40 AM
the comments posted there are unreal, the far left thinks rp is a loon apparently, there is some truth in the cluster f**, where people are saying given the choice hillary vs paul they would have to think real long and hard about it.

freelance
11-06-2007, 11:41 AM
DailyKos is now officially in bed with the same military industrial complex they claims to be against. They are neoconlibs.

KOS is now officially....

There's a lot of discontent among the troops. I've been watching that site for about two years now, and they really thought that they had done a great thing with the 2006 elections. They're furious right now.

alsis8xmy
11-06-2007, 12:07 PM
it's crazy-assed Ron Paul

Crazy like a Fox, (no, not Faux News either).

Malakai0
11-06-2007, 01:31 PM
They are still making the mistake thinking that Ron Paul somehow 'created' this internet revolution.

I guess you have to be a part of it to understand the motivation. PAUL INSPIRES PATRIOTISM IN INDIVIDUALS, IT'S THAT SIMPLE =)

Smiley Gladhands
11-06-2007, 01:51 PM
One phrase: Pent-up demand.

Also, necessity is the mother of invention. If Paul got a fair shake in the old media, we might not feel quite so compelled to gather online in order to validate that WE are not crazy. The Clinton supporters and Romneyites and Giulianiers get validated every time they turn on the TV...we get marginalized. Thus, the free-er part of the market meets our needs by allowing us to discuss ideas.

Plus, you have to know how to read, and actually DESIRE to read, when visiting the interweb. That demographic skews toward Ron Paul.

Smiley Gladhands
11-06-2007, 02:09 PM
They are still making the mistake thinking that Ron Paul somehow 'created' this internet revolution.

It's so funny watching them trying to figure it out and replicate it. Hillary will probably be spending millions to try to replicate Ron's success, unaware that the LESS people think about her positions/platform the MORE they vote for her....and with Ron it's the exact opposite. By the end of this race, Al Gore's gonna be wishing he never invented it.

jumpyg1258
11-06-2007, 02:10 PM
By the end of this race, Al Gore's gonna be wishing he never invented it.

Just like ManBearPig!

No really, I'm super serial!

Smiley Gladhands
11-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Just like ManBearPig!

No really, I'm super serial!

MeanBearPig turned out a lot more serial than I had imagined. I guess I was picturing a baby ManBearPig....quite a bit more cuddly than the adult version.

JenHarris
11-06-2007, 02:51 PM
I think I and many others have been waiting for years for Ron Paul to make another run for President as a Republican and when he announced that support just coalasced and grew.

Well I for one didn't know of Paul before this year, but I was sick to death of the system and the constant lack of good candidates. I didn't know it at the time, but I was just waiting for the person with the right message, because when I heard Paul on Bill Maher the first time I was compelled to get off my butt and volunteer to help him get elected. :)

constituent
11-06-2007, 02:55 PM
don't waste your time w/ kos, join the ron paul nation (http://www.ronpaulnation.com) or ronpaulradio.com (http://www.ronpaulradio.com)!

hard@work
11-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Dems are terrified, I love it. More and more of them convert to the Paul campaign each day as they try to label him as "crazy" instead of attack his ideas. Or they just make excuses for the failure of the dems to do anything about this countries dire situation.

GG KoS, we win.