PDA

View Full Version : Small farmers should support Ron Paul

Joey Wahoo
11-06-2007, 10:10 AM
There are so few of us small farmers left in the country, that most of y'all probably have no idea how hard he works to protect our freedoms.

Dr. Paul has been a vocal opponent of NAIS--a federal program that would require registration of all farm animals with the federal government (big agribusiness loves this, but it is an expensive invasion of our rights and privacy), and a strong supporter of homeschooling (which is very popular among rural families).

As I'm sure y'all know he fights Big Pharma's control over health care, and supports homeopathy.

Yesterday he introduced a bill to legalize the interstate transportation of raw (unpasturized) milk. This is a big deal to those of us who favor the ability to sell and consume raw milk.

Just another reason to cheer Ron Paul.

constituent
11-06-2007, 10:14 AM
that's right. farm subsidies, contrary to popular (culture) beliefs, are the death of small farmers...

monoculture, as a matter of fact, is the death of nature and naturally the death of the small farmer, we as a nation really need to reassess that whole situation.

Brennon
11-06-2007, 10:18 AM
I think one needs to clarify. He, himself, does not ENDORSE homeopathy, but he supports your right to choose what you want to do to yourself.

For some people, a candidate endorsing homeopathy sort of makes him look like a loon (no offense intended), and for myself, make me question that candidate.

Man from La Mancha
11-06-2007, 10:20 AM
There are so few of us small farmers left in the country, that most of y'all probably have no idea how hard he works to protect our freedoms.

Dr. Paul has been a vocal opponent of NAIS--a federal program that would require registration of all farm animals with the federal government (big agribusiness loves this, but it is an expensive invasion of our rights and privacy), and a strong supporter of homeschooling (which is very popular among rural families).

As I'm sure y'all know he fights Big Pharma's control over health care, and supports homeopathy.

Yesterday he introduced a bill to legalize the interstate transportation of raw (unpasturized) milk. This is a big deal to those of us who favor the ability to sell and consume raw milk.

Just another reason to cheer Ron Paul.what is the bill, this so important, pasteurized milk will kill one but raw milk will heal one.

Joey Wahoo
11-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Brennon: perhaps "supports" is not the right word. The question is freedom.

This is from the official campaign website:

I have introduced the Health Freedom Protection Act, HR 2117, to ensure Americans can receive truthful health information about supplements and natural remedies.

I support the Access to Medical Treatment Act, H.R. 2717, which expands the ability of Americans to use alternative medicine and new treatments.

Brennon
11-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Brennon: perhaps "supports" is not the right word. The question is freedom.

This is from the official campaign website:

I have introduced the Health Freedom Protection Act, HR 2117, to ensure Americans can receive truthful health information about supplements and natural remedies.

I support the Access to Medical Treatment Act, H.R. 2717, which expands the ability of Americans to use alternative medicine and new treatments.

Absolutely. It's all about freedom and I think we all support that.

Badger Paul
11-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Subsidies have hurt agriculture, not helped it and Ron Paul is going to change that.

No more handouts to rich farmers!

Man from La Mancha
11-06-2007, 11:03 AM
In 1984, New Zealand's Labor government ended all farm subsidies, which then consisted of 30 separate production payments and export incentives -- a striking action given that New Zealand was five times more dependent on farming than the U.S. economy.

A report last year from the country's main farmers' group, the Federated Farmers of New Zealand, documents what happened:

While land prices initially fell after reform, by 1994 they had rebounded and remain high today.
The predicted farm bankruptcies never materialized -- with just 1 percent of farmers going out of business.
The value of farm output soared 40 percent in constant dollar terms since the mid-1980s and agriculture's share of national output rose from 14 percent to 17 percent today.
Since subsidies were removed, productivity in the sector has risen 6 percent annually -- compared with just 1 percent before reform.
New Zealand's farmers have competed successfully in world markets against subsidized producers in much of the rest of the world.

Agricultural subsidies account for just 1 percent of farm production in New Zealand and consist mainly of scientific research funding. That compares to 22 percent of the value of farm production here.

The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development confirms that New Zealand has the least subsidized farm sector among the industrialized nations -- and concludes that its reforms "resulted in a dramatic reduction in 'market distortions.'"

Source: Chris Edwards and Tad DeHaven (both of the Cato Institute), "Save the Farms -- End the Subsidies," Washington Post, March 3, 2002.

Bobby Johnson
11-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Yesterday he introduced a bill to legalize the interstate transportation of raw (unpasturized) milk.

WHOA!:eek: Do you any more specific details on this such as the bill number or links? I would prefer links so I can email the information. I have been following the raw milk movement here in Indiana for about five years now. The Indiana State Police and the F.B.I. have conducted raids on Indiana farmers transporting raw milk not only within Indiana but over state lines as well.

In addition, we are constantly on guard because while we have limited access to raw milk through cow-shares, state officials seem to want to take away this right.

If you have any specific information for me, I could really have some fun with this issue through my contacts in the state. Just like gun owners, raw milk advocates are very passionate and active politically because they feel the federal government(through the FDA) is denying them a basic right.:)

ckhagen
11-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Agreeing with Bobby...
Raw Milk supporters are hard-core. They can recognize that anyone who's smart enough to put effort into de-regulating raw milk, is probably a genius about other issues as well.

I would love links or more info on that as well. I definitely know who to pass it along to.

StumbleBum7
11-06-2007, 11:42 AM
if you can get me some good Facts on this with links and stuff ill print out some stuff and drop it off at the local farms around here, good land for some big signs :)