PDA

View Full Version : Bay Area woman trapped in airport for eight days–all for lack of a $60 baggage fee

123tim
11-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Edit:

Stupid article.
When I first posted this I was under the impression that the woman wasn't allowed to leave the airport. I re-read the article and realized that she just had no money and no place to go. Probably should just let this thread die. I certainly won't be offended.

Sorry for the post.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/bay-area-woman-trapped-airport-eight-days-lack-140019317.html

Sure, hurricanes and unseasonal blizzards can create major delays in air travel. And the ordinary air traveler faces plenty of exasperation via the heightened, and not always rational, security measures of the Transportation Safety Administration.

But Terri Weissinger, a native of Sonoma County, Calif., has suffered a new scale of airport indignity: Seeking to start a new life in Idaho, Weissinger was condemned to eight days in the limbo of the San Francisco International Airport--because she was unable to pay the fee her airline assessed for an additional piece of checked baggage.

As Michael Finney, a correspondent with the local ABC news affiliate KGO, reports, Wessinger, "was broke" when she left for the airport. (You can watch Finney's report in the video clip above.)

"She had nothing but an airline ticket and $30 in her pocket." She also hadn't traveled by air in the last five years--meaning that when she stepped to the ticket counter to check her bags, she was in for a serious case of sticker shock. The U.S. Airways agent checking her in told her that it was cost $60 to check both her bags. Weissinger offered to pay the fee when she arrived in Idaho, but the agent declined. She also offered to leave one bag there at the San Francisco Airport. That, the agent explained, would be in violation of security regulations.
Continued....

Anti Federalist
11-03-2011, 03:14 PM
No story of airline or air travel stupidity is a "stupid article".

Becker
11-03-2011, 08:53 PM
still good for a laugh, no worries, everybody makes mistakes and dramatic headlines like that get attention :)

CaptainAmerica
11-03-2011, 08:58 PM
http://torontoist.com/attachments/toronto_davidf/2008_05_20_busterminal.jpg did she look like this? (adventures in babysitting the movie)