jkr
11-03-2011, 11:33 AM
wOw

u

first

LOOSER

ctiger2
11-03-2011, 12:14 PM
One good thing about a draft is it would immediately bring reality back to the US in regards to foreign policy. The drum beat for the troops to come home would intensify 100X.

James Madison
11-03-2011, 01:27 PM
One good thing about a draft is it would immediately bring reality back to the US in regards to foreign policy. The drum beat for the troops to come home would intensify 100X.

Not so sure about this. Look what happened during the Vietnam era. It took nearly a decade of protests before state-sanctioned slavery was ended.

rambone
11-03-2011, 03:42 PM
The draft is straight up tyranny.

Demigod
11-03-2011, 03:53 PM
A conscript army would solve all the problems with unnecessary wars.

Cause when a undeclared war means your 18-20 old kid going to Afghanistan,the OWS will seem like a joke.

sorianofan
11-03-2011, 06:12 PM
I think all wars should be declared, and all congressman and the prez should have all children ages between 17-35 drafter in the military by default for front line duty. That way, it would guarantee the war is being fought for a reason.

jtstellar
11-03-2011, 06:15 PM
so i guess if our foreign policy really did secure us it would be ok. all end justifies the means then. nice going guys

amy31416
11-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Lots of liberals want the draft, they foolishly think that the children of the 1% will be going to war too.

FreeTraveler
11-03-2011, 06:45 PM
That's what it took to get my lazy-ass generation off their butts 40 years ago. Somethings got to piss the middle class off sooner or later or we're all screwed.

SpicyTurkey
11-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Lots of liberals want the draft, they foolishly think that the children of the 1% will be going to war too.

Those idiots don't realize that 99-100% of them will be their children.

amy31416
11-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Those idiots don't realize that 99-100% of them will be their children.

Exactly. And there's so much more that they don't realize, it's astonishing to me that they consider themselves the more educated side of the political fence. Things like giving a war-happy government more money and power, stupidly thinking that they'll **finally** be able to take care of the poor, the illiterate and downtrodden.

Meanwhile, their favorite raw milk joint is raided by the federal government and they don't make the connection.

cindy25
11-03-2011, 07:34 PM

progressives (big govt Dems) want the draft to fulfill FDRs dream, the 1% is just the excuse
fascists (big govt Reps) want the draft for cheap (and therefore more) wars.

libertybrewcity
11-03-2011, 07:41 PM

Yea, but at what cost? Your brother, son, father, YOU?

affa
11-03-2011, 07:42 PM
actually, i know a lot of 'liberals' and not one of them is for the draft. not one. watch the stereotyping.

ClayTrainor
11-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Wow, that is quite disheartening... I actually liked Jon Stewart right up until this moment... :(

Carehn
11-03-2011, 07:43 PM
I am 100% against a draft. No good can come of it. It sets a bad precedence and stems from a horrible philosophy.

libertybrewcity
11-03-2011, 07:43 PM
full video: http://www.hulu.com/watch/296285/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-wed-nov-2-2011#s-p1-so-i0

cindy25
11-03-2011, 07:48 PM
actually, i know a lot of 'liberals' and not one of them is for the draft. not one. watch the stereotyping.

ask them if they want "national service" with a civilian option as a condition for college; then you will see how they really stand.

heavenlyboy34
11-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Not a good idea, IMO. The politically well-connected will get out of it or get easy jobs that don't require seeing combat.

amy31416
11-03-2011, 08:06 PM

The liberal websites that I occasionally read ooze with folks who are for this--you're saying they're plants or something?

ClayTrainor
11-03-2011, 08:06 PM
I am 100% against a draft. No good can come of it. It sets a bad precedence and stems from a horrible philosophy.
+1

A draft is a form of slavery. Let's not kid ourselves about that very basic fact. It's one of the most anti-liberty positions possible.

affa
11-05-2011, 12:57 PM
The liberal websites that I occasionally read ooze with folks who are for this--you're saying they're plants or something?

I'm saying I hail from an east coast liberal family, and currently live in Portland, Oregon. And I know of no liberal that supports the draft. Not one. Some might 'joke' that they wish politicans sons/daughters had to go to war, but they aren't seriously talking about a draft -- they know that'll never happen and are decidedly anti-war and aren't actually wishing death upon families.

Now... that said, I can -not- explain the continued support for Obama in the face of our endless wars and such. I do see some of that (though many are quite disillusioned with Obama, many still support him). But while I can't understand that (and work on them every chance I get), staying on topic, none support a draft.

Someone asked about forced 'non-military' service. I'd need to start asking them that to be sure. Odds are, I will get more 'yes' answers from some not realizing the anti-liberty ramifications. But we're talking about a military draft here.

specsaregood
11-05-2011, 01:07 PM
I think all wars should be declared, and all congressman and the prez should have all children ages between 17-35 drafter in the military by default for front line duty. That way, it would guarantee the war is being fought for a reason.

That wouldn't guarantee anything; now if you had said, all wars must be declared and all the representatives and president that VOTE for it are required to be on the front line themselves! Now that might get us somewhere.

Miss Annie
11-05-2011, 01:14 PM
That wouldn't guarantee anything; now if you had said, all wars must be declared and all the representatives and president that VOTE for it are required to be on the front line themselves! Now that might get us somewhere.

LOL!!!! Agreed!!

CaptainAmerica
11-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Not so sure about this. Look what happened during the Vietnam era. It took nearly a decade of protests before state-sanctioned slavery was ended. the "Kingly" power of slavery (forced inscription) to fight unconstitutional wars declared at a whim would be beyond stoppable at this point if the draft was brought back.